Bass like gobies????

Tony

I was out fishing last week and hooked onto a goby (what else is new).................As I was reeling in I got a big bite and ended up catching a bass.

Is this a common occurrence????   I take it that bass (and possibly other types of fish) like gobies????IMG_20210826_173439 (1).jpgIMG_20210826_173439 (1).jpg

It took a while but goby's have become one of the favorite meals of bass and walleye, hence the abundance of jigs, tubes and lures with a goby finish. Years ago when gobies were first starting to show up in large numbers, I was out fishing in Mohawk Bay on a sunny afternoon. We started to notice a huge amount of large dead fish floating on the surface. On getting close to one we saw it was a smallmouth and not dead but floating there with a huge extended stomach. Later the marina operator told us it was a common occurrence. He said the bass stuff themselves with the gobies and he believed there was something a little toxic in them that the bass were not used to yet. He said they lie there for a while on the surface while digesting and then slowly swim away with no apparent side effects. These days, a goby coloured soft tube jig is the go to lure for most knowledgeable bass anglers.

3 hours ago, verado said:

It took a while but goby's have become one of the favorite meals of bass and walleye, hence the abundance of jigs, tubes and lures with a goby finish. Years ago when gobies were first starting to show up in large numbers, I was out fishing in Mohawk Bay on a sunny afternoon. We started to notice a huge amount of large dead fish floating on the surface. On getting close to one we saw it was a smallmouth and not dead but floating there with a huge extended stomach. Later the marina operator told us it was a common occurrence. He said the bass stuff themselves with the gobies and he believed there was something a little toxic in them that the bass were not used to yet. He said they lie there for a while on the surface while digesting and then slowly swim away with no apparent side effects. These days, a goby coloured soft tube jig is the go to lure for most knowledgeable bass anglers.

You gave an excellent explanation...................Thanks............

I've seen gobies used for bait ,caught from the same waters . The rules say we can't use them for bait and must kill them . That's like trying to empty a full bucket of water one drop at a time during a heavy rain . There's a rule for using crayfish as well ....they must be caught in the same water where they are being used for bait ....

Sumthin is not adding up .....

Smallies are beginning to look like blow fish as they dine on gobies , reaching the 8 lb.mark soon ? Gobies eat zebra mussels which are contaminated with toxins , bass are eating toxic gobies ?  We eat toxic bass ?  Just wondering where the toxicity ends .......  ....carp eat home cooked corn , no toxins ....      ☺️