Time for fall pannies

bigugli

On 10/4/2021 at 8:33 PM, Bubba14 said:

Putting on a clinic! Will you take on a student??

I'd say sure. Only problem is I only know at the last minute if I have time to go out. Been so busy making tackle.

7 minutes ago, bigugli said:

I'd say sure. Only problem is I only know at the last minute if I have time to go out. Been so busy making tackle.

Sounds like me Bruce, always a last minute decision. 
Dose anyone bleed their pan fish? I seen guys bleeding bigger fish(walleye,trout) but never pannies. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/5/2021 at 9:26 PM, Tyler0420 said:

Dose anyone bleed their pan fish? I seen guys bleeding bigger fish(walleye,trout) but never pannies. 

I don't bleed my perch but I put them in the fridge for at least a day before I clean them (usually because I'm too tired from my day of paddling). There is very little blood and I find them easier to clean.

I try to bring them home alive , let them have their last swim together in the laundry tub for an hour or two , then a quick tap on the head with my bonker . After a quick prayer , they get treated to a Rapala filleting knife , skin removed , bathed in clean cold water  , patted dry on paper towels and off to a nice warm frying pan . Any blood in the flesh gets treated like a medium rare steak ....down the hatch !   :wub:

54 minutes ago, Cleithrum said:

Watch the transporting live fish bit. Licence to transport live fish | ontario.ca 

Thanks for the reminder ....I fish for perch in cold weather and keep them alive in my pail while fishing . If I only have a couple I'll release them . If I have enough for a meal I'll drain the water from the pail and bring them home .Most times they will revive in the cold water in the laundry tub , then they will be cleaned and meet the frying pan ....can't get any fresher than that ! While ice fishing perch I've seen them almost frozen  and come back "to life" in the tub .  Hopefully the mnr wouldn't have a problem with waterless fish in a 5 gal pail .

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2021 at 4:25 PM, smerchly said:

Thanks for the reminder ....I fish for perch in cold weather and keep them alive in my pail while fishing . If I only have a couple I'll release them . If I have enough for a meal I'll drain the water from the pail and bring them home .Most times they will revive in the cold water in the laundry tub , then they will be cleaned and meet the frying pan ....can't get any fresher than that ! While ice fishing perch I've seen them almost frozen  and come back "to life" in the tub .  Hopefully the mnr wouldn't have a problem with waterless fish in a 5 gal pail .

Hey that's pretty cool.  Amazing they can bounce back like that.  I think they'd only take issue if you're transporting them back in water and it looks like you're trying to keep them alive.   Good work nice system