First moose!!

Bubba14

Good day all!

I haven't posted much on here the last few months, mostly because I've hardly wetted a line all year. Didn't even get my main boat in the water!!

I did however get north this past week for my annual moose hunt and was lucky enough to fill our tag with my first moose, a bull. It didn't have a big rack (can't eat that anyway) but had a good sized body. He snuck in behind me and didn't hear him till he was 30 yards away. Once I heard the twig snap and turned, he noticed me. We looked at each other for about 10 seconds as I raised my rifle. As he turned to leave, I fired. He went about 30 yards and dropped. The excitement was over and now the work began!

Moose pic 1.rtf Moose pic 2.rtf Moose pic 3.rtf

Congratulations Scott  !!   The first moose will always be remembered !   Your story is very similar to my last moose which ran about 50 yards before dropping . 

28 minutes ago, Bubba14 said:

It didn't have a big rack (can't eat that anyway)

How about enjoying a nice "Rack of ribs"   .  We would have a liver dinner the same day !  B)

Since I got a new point and shoot camera , I put my pictures on the desktop and drag them into the blue area at the paper clip ....hope to see your catch soon .

47 minutes ago, verado said:

We also enjoyed another successful hunt at our Haliburton Forest camp last week. A cow on opening morning and this fine bull 2 days later.FA83A39B-3F89-4743-8689-C5AC7BA5A375.jpeger 

Nice Bull verado.  How long do you hang it like that? Do you have to worry about wolfs/coyotes?

21 hours ago, Bubba14 said:

Good day all!

I haven't posted much on here the last few months, mostly because I've hardly wetted a line all year. Didn't even get my main boat in the water!!

I did however get north this past week for my annual moose hunt and was lucky enough to fill our tag with my first moose, a bull. It didn't have a big rack (can't eat that anyway) but had a good sized body. He snuck in behind me and didn't hear him till he was 30 yards away. Once I heard the twig snap and turned, he noticed me. We looked at each other for about 10 seconds as I raised my rifle. As he turned to leave, I fired. He went about 30 yards and dropped. The excitement was over and now the work began!

Moose pic 1.rtfUnavailable Moose pic 2.rtfUnavailable Moose pic 3.rtfUnavailable

Congratulations Bubba! You never forget your first!

52 minutes ago, verado said:

We also enjoyed another successful hunt at our Haliburton Forest camp last week. A cow on opening morning and this fine bull 2 days later.FA83A39B-3F89-4743-8689-C5AC7BA5A375.jpeger 

Congrats Verado, tasty looking bull there on the meat pole.

We quartered our moose with a chainsaw ( veggie oil for the chain) , then hung them across a  beam between 2 trees  using real parachute cord   which we carried in our backpacks . Then they were covered in pepper and wrapped in cheese cloth . ( The good ole days)  !  :th_fudd:.............Ⓜ️

We lost an old bull that I downed . It had some wounds from fighting younger moose and the butcher called and said it had worms throughout the meaty parts . He said he could grind it all up for burger but we politely declined ...  A lot of blood sweat and tears on that one !

When it gets warm , time to get it done up and put into the freezer .  

Enjoy  your bounty Scott !