Niagara River Glen Closed For Fishing!

steelshady

I was booted from fishing the Glen at the ledge this Sunday around 10:00 am by Niagara Parks Commission employees.  The informed me that you can only fish from Crispy eddy and up!

Any idea how to fight this?  Area is posted with no trespassing signs, been fishing their for 30 years.

The closer comes as a result of tourists getting injured during the covid lock downs.

No Treaspassing.jpg

That sign means nothing to many tourists . They need to put up at least 5 with different languages  .

2 minutes ago, Flyfisher said:

Well that sucks. Another shore fishing spot taken away. I used to fish in the glen when my knees were in better shape. 

I have lost many fishing spots over the years, and we will lose many more with urban sprawl  , condos ,etc.

They also put signs up for liability issues but people will still "trespass"  

3 hours ago, Mbocco said:

I assume that was to say Cripp’s.  

Are the trails closed too?  Or just the shore from Cripps down to Pebbly?

Trails are open but I guess you are not allowed to go down to the water, Cripps to ledge is closed since I don't think they know that trail lol.....The police did not kick me out, just two park employees equipped with a whistle and a radio lol...I am sure if I did not leave, they would call the park police.

Hey everyone! Long time member but I got a new email so had to re-register... I saw the no trespassing signs last year and they also dropped a bunch of trees and brush and placed them at obvious access points along the glen. I have been fishing the glen since the late 80s and I'm shocked they did this. The internet is plastered with fishing tips and maps for fishing the glen. Does a closure of this size make the official fishing regs? I get they probably had a lot more people down there during the pandemic and had to rescue more than usual but no fishing seems ridiculous! So if someone gets in trouble from Cripps eddy down to the pool it's a different story? Anyways... confused on this one.

1 hour ago, petersaban said:

Can anyone tell me where Crispy Eddy is please? Can't anything on the internet. Thanks

Large inlet bay roughly halfway between metal stairs and the pool... I was in glen a few times this season with no probs. A friend of mine was booted by parks police though. They told him fishing pebbly area was ok. Probably since it would fall under OPG's problem there? He continued going anyway and hasn't had issue since. The Parks cop told my buddy its a hot issue currently as swimming incidents down there lead to people dying recently. I dont think it will really be well enforced as tourists slow down and its mostly fisherman down there.. Lets hope because that area is my winter go to for steelhead and Lakers

4 hours ago, steellee said:

Large inlet bay roughly halfway between metal stairs and the pool... I was in glen a few times this season with no probs. A friend of mine was booted by parks police though. They told him fishing pebbly area was ok. Probably since it would fall under OPG's problem there? He continued going anyway and hasn't had issue since. The Parks cop told my buddy its a hot issue currently as swimming incidents down there lead to people dying recently. I dont think it will really be well enforced as tourists slow down and its mostly fisherman down there.. Lets hope because that area is my winter go to for steelhead and Lakers

Thanks

Must be because he is in the water.  I wonder who called for the rescue?

From that spot and back to shore with the water at that level he would have been just above waist high for a couple feet.  Pretty sure he could have easily made it back but perhaps didn’t want to get soaking wet?  Did he not see the level rising?  Maybe he thought it would recede again.   It would have at about 10pm. 

19 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

When did this happen? The photo almost looks fake. Maybe I’m looking in the wrong place but I don’t see anything about it online. 

they calling it the Niagara glen for some reason ,we know its the whirlpool .https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news/niagara-region/2021/11/15/photo-firefighters-rescue-man-from-niagara-glen.html

26 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

When did this happen? The photo almost looks fake. Maybe I’m looking in the wrong place but I don’t see anything about it online. 

Its definitely not fake . It's on both the parks police and Niagara Regional police websites.  It looks fake because they blacked out his face. They shouldn't have though, let everyone see who he is. These are the people that are losing our spots one by one

Wouldn't it have been easier , quicker and less costly to pluck him from the rock via chopper ? Isn't there a helipad there ? 

Is he an angler or one of the visitors that sometimes like to swim there ?