Talk to me about ice

Cleithrum

Hey fellas,  I drove out from Binbrook this evening with a spud bar, hand auger and measuring tape to check the status on the rec canal near the dog park and rowing center.  I understand that it's only been real good ice making weather for a little while but more locally we're really near 4".  I suspect with the overnight temps this week that we'll be there shortly around here.

So I was pretty surprised to see that the rec canal had large sections of open water.  In front of the rowing center it was wide open..... geese and all.  I didn't walk out or spud bar at in the areas where there was nice black ice because the shoreline was thin and sketchy. 

So I'm asking.... is there stuff to know about the rec canal like water currents, warm inflows or the 30' depths that just take longer to chill?   Why would there be open water like that when every other inland lake is locked up?

Any insights are appreciated. 

I enjoyed it last winter for the first time with my kids.  That was near the end of Jan and into Feb with a confident 4-1/2" or so. 

Thanks

The ice was already forming when they lowered the levels so the edges will be sketchy and they tend to get that way throughout the winter as the levels will slightly change. As for current its barely noticeable unless you're near certain areas like downtown Welland, the point in Dain City and near ES Fox in Port Robinson.

16419180999949155218068864085633.jpg

Did a little trip along rec. Dain city side is shaping up nicely. Cpl guys on the ice 30-40’ off shore or so. Geese r slowing the freeze close to the flatwater centre. All in all it’s coming along nicely. Local Skating rink was mint ice for girls recess break 

I spend a good 6 hrs .outside in the yard today covering the lattice etc.around the deck with tarps /wood sheets . spend the evening locating ice rods , tackle and gear . Will probably start out using the one man flip hut locally ,and some frozen salted minnows, plastic maggots , 1" Rap jigs, and tear drops....targeting perch & pike.

A little mild tomorrow but dropping off quickly for a week , or more.

40 minutes ago, genec said:

haven’t bothered until now because weather network winter forecast was so discouraging, but they were wrong!  😁

Gene , I think the Hamilton weather guy on CHTV  gets his weather forecast mixed up with Hamilton , Virginia.....

Beacons locked up as of yesterday. Guys out on grand as well. Not sure of ice thickness .. I'm assuming if they are out there by weekend it will be "safe" . 

2 hours ago, genec said:

Don’t know how safe the Grand would be when there was still open water on the rec canal this morning.

That's why safe was in quotations.... just stating that guys are out there already 

Looks like it's starting to shape up nicely. Going to get the Argo ready for the first Erie trip of the year. Need to be ready! A buddy wanted to hit the Grand today, I took a pass but maybe next week. Something about thin ice and current doesn't excite me any more! Must be getting old?

1 hour ago, Surf and Turf said:

Must be getting old?

Older , and wiser .  We elders have thinner skin so we try our best to keep above the ice ,

I've been putting all day getting my one man hut out of my junkie garage , taking the sides off the wagon to make it a.flatbed ....no snow , easy to pull all the gear over dry ground , or a few inches of snow.... looking good out there .

32 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Older , and wiser .  We elders have thinner skin so we try our best to keep above the ice ,

I've been putting all day getting my one man hut out of my junkie garage , taking the sides off the wagon to make it a.flatbed ....no snow , easy to pull all the gear over dry ground , or a few inches of snow.... looking good out there .

Agree, unfortunately I'm finding that getting older and wiser isn't nearly as much fun as being young and stupid!

1 hour ago, Surf and Turf said:

Agree, unfortunately I'm finding that getting older and wiser isn't nearly as much fun as being young and stupid!

Oh so true! 

Just like venturing solo on the ice. Just not the biggest fan any more.

6 minutes ago, bigugli said:

Oh so true! 

Just like venturing solo on the ice. Just not the biggest fan any more.

Bruce ,  just follow size 14 boot tracks . I follow the big guys out there now after going solo years back and  "took the plunge"  !   :coldsmiley:

I was using my spud today ...My minnow tank (no minnows) has 3" of ice ! I chopped a small 3" hole and turned on the shop light  which heats the tank from the bottom ! This spud was made from a large flat file , hardened and tempered and the handle is 1" water pipe , made in the 50's by my wife's uncle in Chippawa . When the ice is only 3-5" I don't use my auger , it does the job nicely .