SNOWWWWWWW

bigugli

3 hours ago, genec said:

18 inches minimum in my area….don’t like having to get the big snowblower out unless I really have to, but sure needed it today!!   
Now we all sit and wait for a couple of days until the plows do our side streets.

I just got in not sure how many hours I’ve been outside pushing cars down my street, shoveled elderly people driveways, helping neighbors out. 
our roads are brutal. I live in new construction so “unassumed roads”  the city doesn’t plow them. 
oh ya no fishing :(

43 minutes ago, bigugli said:

We got a solid 24" or more. I'm just doing so much shovelling at a time. I don't mind, but the joints aren't what they were.  Should be finished some time tomorrow.

Seems whoever was closest to Lake Ontario got the most out of this one.

We varied between 18-22 inches, depending on area around house.

53 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

“unassumed roads”  the city doesn’t plow them. 

Our street is a bus route , plow/salter comes by many times until the road is dry ,but we pay the price for high traffic and lots of speeders ! Side streets with newer housing are a disaster !  Ice fishing will be a challenge !   

Gene , we got snow coming from the north straight from L.Ont.  

I think the news said St.Catharines got the most snow of everywhere. Confirmed just over 50cm. I dont ever remember this much snow before? Can anyone confirm this was more or less than the big storm of 1977? 

21 minutes ago, Darryl L said:

I think the news said St.Catharines got the most snow of everywhere. Confirmed just over 50cm. I dont ever remember this much snow before? Can anyone confirm this was more or less than the big storm of 1977? 

The blizzard of 77 was worse . ...very cold , high winds and huge snow drifts . Here's a good read about it .

https://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/news/niagara-region/2017/01/26/niagara-closeup-blizzard-of-77-40-years-ago.html

58 minutes ago, Chrisb said:

My snow blower got a good workout. I think I used it twice last year for less than a quarter of what we got today.

Same here ,  my machine worked hard until the belt came off the pulley . I thought I broke a shear pin but it has 2 separate blades which will still blow some snow . That old 30+ year old 29" Craftsman is a brute . Tomorrow , I will adjust the pulley & tighten up the belt as I see the snow plow has left us another  bank across our driveways. After a few hrs.of work both tires go flat ....will put tubes in them this spring ! 

20 hours ago, Darryl L said:

This was child's play compared to the blizzard of 77, That was a true balls to the wall blizzard, this was just a little dusting in comparison.

I bought a snow blower years ago to save time (and my back). It didn't end up working out that way though as I ended up clearing mine and then four neighbours yesterday so no time savings after all! Oh well!

I spend more time clearing other driveways and side walk across the road than on my own property . Some have chronic breathing problems and the cold air is too much to handle . The snow plow keeps pushing more snowbank towards to curb until they can see the sewer drains . Got the belt adjusted today and the old girl runs fine ....but it's so damn NOISY !  ....I wear the muffs !

29 minutes ago, smerchly said:

I spend more time clearing other driveways and side walk across the road than on my own property . Some have chronic breathing problems and the cold air is too much to handle . The snow plow keeps pushing more snowbank towards to curb until they can see the sewer drains . Got the belt adjusted today and the old girl runs fine ....but it's so damn NOISY !  ....I wear the muffs !

Good on you Smerch. Yes, shovelling seems to be a high risk activity. Fathers of two of my kids friends had heart attacks this week both snow related, both in their 50's, one made it one didn't. 

1 hour ago, Surf and Turf said:

Good on you Smerch. Yes, shovelling seems to be a high risk activity. Fathers of two of my kids friends had heart attacks this week both snow related, both in their 50's, one made it one didn't. 

That's why we take it in shifts.  Still have the back 1/2 of our driveway to clear, but no one is hurting bad from the workout. The snowpile extends 6' into the street.

DSCF0312.JPG