New to Area, not to fishing

Newf07

Started school and hockey at Brock University this year, moved up from Newfoundland so obviously brought all the fishing gear. Fly rods, spinning, ice gear the whole works. Had great success in the fall going to different areas and figuring it out for myself, but hard water is a different ball game. Any spots to avoid in the area, places to try, ice conditions? Feel free to private message me, with info or just to talk fishing. I try to tell the truth... sometimes 

3 hours ago, Newf07 said:

I try to tell the truth... sometimes 

Fishermen all lie , especially !  !  Welcome to the "Banana Belt" Newf07  . Do they have ice in Newfoundland ?  I hear they have cod down that way . We also have them here in Ontario , called ling cod and they are easy to catch through the ice , but you have to drive a tad north to get them .

Ice can be very sketchy in this area since some places have current under the ice . Some of us carry a good spud if venturing out alone to check the ice . Best bet is to observe where others are fishing and join the group .  I am an experienced ice torpedo "once" and it was a very rude wake up call !!  I was alone and was fortunate enough to be able to propel myself out like a rocket !  I now know many spots that are the last to freeze over . Snow on the ice can be very deceiving with thin ice under it . Read some of the posts on the Ice fishing section here . Some spots were mentioned where the ice was not as safe as other spots (like the rec canal ) Some winters are not good for ice fishing with warmer ,wetter condition . 

Good luck with your new found fishing adventures !   :Gonefishing: 

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

Do they have ice in Newfoundland ?  I hear they have cod down that way . 

Lots of cod and even more ice. Almost had to break out the auger extension for smelting before I came back for school Jan.30. 18" in the pond we catch smelt. Ling cod would be on my bucket list for fish, I've checked a few boxes since Ive been here, mostly fishing the twelve Mile Creek, port D and the Grand. All we have back home in NL are Atlantic salmon and brook trout, and smelt in the winter, for our freshwater fishing. Thanks for the info on the ice I'll do some browsing, our snowmobile had a similar experience last winter but it took an anchor and 30 feet of rope to get that thing back on the ice... Lol. What we wouldn't do to catch a fish.

Welcome Newf.

While it may look safe, stay off the majority of the waters around Brock (Lake Moodie and Gibson) ... Ontario Hydro changes the water levels and they can drop up to a foot create an ice shelf that couldn't support a dog, let alone a human.  You best bets are the Welland Rec Canal, Dain City, and Renee Park on Martindale.  Martindale is dangerous though as there are plenty of hidden currents if you don't know the waters.

Hi Newf07 .... ice fishing here has gone way down ...as the winter weather has not been good ...every year it takes a long time for our fishing holes to freeze ...warmer winters is to blame ....i go to Lake Simcoe for perch and other spices ...but mostly perch ....Jordan Harbour here in St. Catherines was very good but lately no ice ...there is ice now ...maybe next year we can go ice fishing if you want ....i also have a 10 foot boat for small lakes and such ...let me know ...good fishing all the same