Interesting acquisition

Bubba14

A friend of mine contacted me today as she was cleaning out her recently deceased father’s house saying that he had some old rods and reels. I stopped by and picked up a couple of old level-winds that aren’t in the greatest shape but are kinda cool. I also got a rod and reel combo. The reel is a 1973 Abu Ambassadeur 4000D in really good shape. It’s mounted on a Daiwa linear interline Procaster X rod. I’ve never seen one before. When the line comes off the reel, it travels through one guide then goes inside the rod, exiting at the tip. Anybody familiar with this model of rod? It still has the plastic on the cork handle. 

I believe this video is about 8 yrs.old when posted on Y.Tube ? I have some reservations about using it in various water conditions , certainly no good in freezing temperatures as it would ice up inside .  He was fishing in water with algae which sometimes sticks to the line and may clog up inside the tube .  We have sea fleas on our big lakes which could also get inside the tube rod . Fishing muddy water may bring in grit also.  My last concern is the fishing line , both mono or braid has much more contact with all those ribs inside the rod so I would expect the lines would weaken from much more contact inside those rods . Rods with 5 to 10 guides has very little contact with lines in comparison .  Maybe we can get more info from long time users of these rods .....

Not trying to be negative and these rods may have there place in clean waters.   

1 hour ago, Bubba14 said:

I honestly don’t even know if I’ll ever use it, maybe to try it out once. I think I’ll just hang onto it because it is very unique. One site I was on today said that these old Abu’s are somewhat collectable. 

I would give the rod a try Scott , just to get the feel of it . It would be interesting to see how it performs . Does the rod have a # test line recommendation ?