Gas ...Whoa !

smerchly

I checked gas buddy today and price is over  $1.75  at the local Olco here today !  D.McTeague said expect $1.90 Apr. 1 when another carbon tax of 9 cents hits the pumps. This does have an effect on us anglers who travel longer distances to fish . I filled up the van for $i.50 per lt. a few days ago , another 25 cents is a big hit !  I feel sorry for those of you who have to drive a distance to get to work !  Being retired has some benefits .....I'll be biking to the 12 more often .....

"I was going to fill up the G6 today , but I'll use the 5 gal . I  got with the van fill up . That will keep me going another month or more.....and we know the side effects from high fuel prices ......  :(   

Hopefully this is a wake up call for people that support Carbon Tax and do not support Canadian oil production and the associated pipelines required to move it.

Oil is required by us and the rest of the world whether you personally like it or not. Better that it be produced by stable countries especially our own country and being able to benefit economically ourselves.

The end game of the carbon tax is to raise energy prices to the point where it will force people to alternatives. Take the subway, maybe if you live in Toronto, but that option doesn't work for 90% of Canada geographically? Electric cars, sounds good in theory but practical and affordable for few.

Ask yourself how bad the carbon footprint is in the creation of electric vehicles.  Worse….all the batteries are just as bad environmentally when those need constant disposal and replacement.  

1 minute ago, Mbocco said:

Ask yourself how bad the carbon footprint is in the creation of electric vehicles.  Worse….all the batteries are just as bad environmentally when those need constant disposal and replacement.  

here's a copy/paste ...received it a few days ago ...verrrry informative !   Even the little AA batteries pollute our environment ...long read but good to know this ....

What is a battery?' I think Tesla said it best when they called it an Energy Storage System. That's important. 

They do not make electricity – they store electricity produced elsewhere, primarily by coal, uranium, natural gas-powered plants, or diesel-fueled generators.  So, to say an EV is a zero-emission vehicle is not at all valid. 

Also, since forty percent of the electricity generated in the U.S. is from coal-fired plants, it follows that forty percent of the EVs on the road are coal-powered, do you see?"

Einstein's formula, E=MC2, tells us it takes the same amount of energy to move a five-thousand-pound gasoline-driven automobile a mile as it does an electric one. The only question again is what produces the power? To reiterate, it does not come from the battery; the battery is only the storage device, like a gas tank in a car.

There are two orders of batteries, rechargeable, and single-use. The most common single-use batteries are A, AA, AAA, C, D. 9V, and lantern types. Those dry-cell species use zinc, manganese, lithium, silver oxide, or zinc and carbon to store electricity chemically. Please note they all contain toxic, heavy metals.

Rechargeable batteries only differ in their internal materials, usually lithium-ion, nickel-metal oxide, and nickel-cadmium. The United States uses three billion of these two battery types a year, and most are not recycled; they end up in landfills. California is the only state which requires all batteries be recycled. If you throw your small, used batteries in the trash, here is what happens to them.

All batteries are self-discharging.  That means even when not in use, they leak tiny amounts of energy. You have likely ruined a flashlight or two from an old ruptured battery. When a battery runs down and can no longer power a toy or light, you think of it as dead; well, it is not. It continues to leak small amounts of electricity. As the chemicals inside it run out, pressure builds inside the battery's metal casing, and eventually, it cracks. The metals left inside then ooze out. The ooze in your ruined flashlight is toxic, and so is the ooze that will inevitably leak from every battery in a landfill. All batteries eventually rupture; it just takes rechargeable batteries longer to end up in the landfill.

In addition to dry cell batteries, there are also wet cell ones used in automobiles, boats, and motorcycles. The good thing about those is, ninety percent of them are recycled. Unfortunately, we do not yet know how to recycle single-use ones properly.

But that is not half of it.  For those of you excited about electric cars and a green revolution, I want you to take a closer look at batteries and also windmills and solar panels. These three technologies share what we call environmentally destructive embedded costs."

Everything manufactured has two costs associated with it, embedded costs and operating costs. I will explain embedded costs using a can of baked beans as my subject.

In this scenario, baked beans are on sale, so you jump in your car and head for the grocery store. Sure enough, there they are on the shelf for $1.75 a can. As you head to the checkout, you begin to think about the embedded costs in the can of beans.

The first cost is the diesel fuel the farmer used to plow the field, till the ground, harvest the beans, and transport them to the food processor. Not only is his diesel fuel an embedded cost, so are the costs to build the tractors, combines, and trucks. In addition, the farmer might use a nitrogen fertilizer made from natural gas.

Next is the energy costs of cooking the beans, heating the building, transporting the workers, and paying for the vast amounts of electricity used to run the plant. The steel can holding the beans is also an embedded cost. Making the steel can requires mining taconite, shipping it by boat, extracting the iron, placing it in a coal-fired blast furnace, and adding carbon. Then it's back on another truck to take the beans to the grocery store. Finally, add in the cost of the gasoline for your car.

A typical EV battery weighs one thousand pounds, about the size of a travel trunk.  It contains twenty-five pounds of lithium, sixty pounds of nickel, 44 pounds of manganese, 30 pounds cobalt, 200 pounds of copper, and 400 pounds of aluminum, steel, and plastic. Inside are over 6,000 individual lithium-ion cells.

It should concern you that all those toxic components come from mining. For instance, to manufacture each EV auto battery, you must process 25,000 pounds of brine for the lithium, 30,000 pounds of ore for the cobalt, 5,000 pounds of ore for the nickel, and 25,000 pounds of ore for copper. All told, you dig up 500,000 pounds of the earth's crust for just - one - battery."

Sixty-eight percent of the world's cobalt, a significant part of a battery, comes from the Congo. Their mines have no pollution controls and they employ children who die from handling this toxic material. Should we factor in these diseased kids as part of the cost of driving an electric car?"

I'd like to leave you with these thoughts. California is building the largest battery in the world near San Francisco, and they intend to power it from solar panels and windmills. They claim this is the ultimate in being 'green,' but it is not! This construction project is creating an environmental disaster. Let me tell you why.

The main problem with solar arrays is the chemicals needed to process silicate into the silicon used in the panels. To make pure enough silicon requires processing it with hydrochloric acid, sulfuric acid, nitric acid, hydrogen fluoride, trichloroethane, and acetone. In addition, they also need gallium, arsenide, copper-indium-gallium- diselenide, and cadmium-telluride, which also are highly toxic. Silicon dust is a hazard to the workers, and the panels cannot be recycled.

Windmills are the ultimate in embedded costs and environmental destruction. Each weighs 1688 tons (the equivalent of 23 houses) and contains 1300 tons of concrete, 295 tons of steel, 48 tons of iron, 24 tons of fiberglass, and the hard to extract rare earths neodymium, praseodymium, and dysprosium. Each blade weighs 81,000 pounds and will last 15 to 20 years, at which time it must be replaced. We cannot recycle used blades. Sadly, both solar arrays and windmills kill birds, bats, sea life, and migratory insects.

There may be a place for these technologies, but you must look beyond the myth of zero emissions. I predict EVs and windmills will be abandoned once the embedded environmental costs of making and replacing them become apparent.  "Going Green" may sound like the Utopian ideal and are easily espoused, catchy buzz words, but when you look at the hidden and embedded costs realistically with an open mind, you can see that Going Green is more destructive to the Earth's environment than meets the eye, for sure.

If I had entitled this essay "The Embedded Costs of Going Green," who would have read it?  But thank you for your attention, and good luck.

Our flag does not fly because the wind moves it; it flies with the last breath of each soldier/sailor/Marine/airman who died to protect it.

7 hours ago, smerchly said:

I checked gas buddy today and price is over  $1.75  at the local Olco here today !  D.McTeague said expect $1.90 Apr. 1 when another carbon tax of 9 cents hits the pumps. This does have an effect on us anglers who travel longer distances to fish . I filled up the van for $i.50 per lt. a few days ago , another 25 cents is a big hit !  I feel sorry for those of you who have to drive a distance to get to work !  Being retired has some benefits .....I'll be biking to the 12 more often .....

"I was going to fill up the G6 today , but I'll use the 5 gal . I  got with the van fill up . That will keep me going another month or more.....and we know the side effects from high fuel prices ......  :(   

I just started back to work this week and i run my own Exterior reno Business so im pulling a 16 ft enclosed trailer around with my 2500 chev .....yesterday i put 168 bucks in ....unfortunately my customers will be the ones suffering ....i can burn 50 bucks driving out to crystal beach and back from thorold 🙄

6 hours ago, Mbocco said:

Well that says it all.  And very thoroughly answers my question!

I'm assuming those numbers are correct .....  On CH News tonight they mentioned some of the battery "ingredients" , like lithium ,nickel ,copper ,manganese....

but failed to tell the amount needed or disposal methods of the hazardous chemicals .  Trudy was right there praising the cleaner air for our cities and pushing his 

carbon taxes on that dirty oil .  

Checking our diesel prices today.....Pet Can just posted the highest price at $2.00 per liter . A large semi has 2 tanks up to 150  gallons each (U.S.) 

figure 1000 liters at $2 per liter ..... Filling our tanks is only the beginning ..

Thank Douglas for the $120 'gift' to keep our costs down ! :rolleyes:

This electric vs petrol battle all seems like it boils down to your damned if you do and your damned if you don’t….. until our production methods are as emission free as the end product it’s easy to say the end doesn’t justify the means, but regardless I still feel it’s progress in the right direction, it just seems like it’s going slower then we’d all want.

We’ve never been at a point like this in our species where the electrical and digital age are changing every aspect of how we live, but the change will most likely take several generations worth of time in order to really benefit everyone, much the same way petrol first replaced horse and buggy

I see it broke a leg  too ! ...   cheaper to call a tow truck to take you shopping ?  

The cost of diesel is our biggest concern . XTR on 4th Ave . diesel is $2.10 per liter today . That  translates into much higher costs for everything .

Trucks only get about 10 miles per gallon and they will transfer their costs to the products they deliver . Why is diesel so $$$ high ? 

People bought diesel pickups to save fuel costs and get  more miles out of the engines ..... 

Summer prices for gas on the way ...tack on 10 cents more to save the planet .  Two bucks just around the corner .....

Bend over Rover ......

1 hour ago, Darryl L said:

Cant wait for the border to open. Much cheaper gas and beer. I'll be going over every week like I used to for years 

Didn’t it open a while ago? No Covid test coming back if you stayed less then 72hrs

It was like that for a bit but now you still need an official test to get back, plus the return Can app bullshit. I used to be able to go for gas, groceries,  beer round trip in an hour. I called the place I always go for gas and it's around 3.50 a gallon. After conversion etc it works out to about 1.17 canadian a litre. Massive saving on my pickup truck and 3 Jerry cans . Plus 20$ 30 packs of beer 

34 minutes ago, Captain Hooksets said:

Can you go over the borderline  with no proof of vaxx?

No you cant go to U.S without being vaxxed but coming back into Canada you still need a pharmacy issued negative test , and the Return to Canada app stuff all filled out. Major pain in the ass for a quick trip. 

It's been many years since I went to Smokin Joe's at the reserve at N.F.N.Y. , many moons ago !  They even had leaded gas for my old jalopy !  

We got a case of 30 bottles of beer  (16oz.) for 10 bucks !  I couldn't lift it now .......

I think we are seeing what they are calling the great reset ......like resetting all prices by 30 % .

I love my Dollar Twenty Five Store !   

On 3/4/2022 at 1:41 PM, Mbocco said:

Your absolutely right

14 hours ago, Captain Hooksets said:

Can you go over the border with no proof of vaxx?

The Americans don’t seem to care if you are vaccinated however when coming back into Canada you will be required to quarantine for 2 weeks. 

Went across the boarder yesterday to go skiing in Ellicottville. Crossed at Peace Bridge around 9:30 there was only one car at customs two booths open they did not ask if vaccinated, business as usual joked around a bit and on we went. Got into Ellicottville and they have a medical centre right at the entrance before turning to Holiday Valley, free rapid and pcr done at the same time, in and out in 15 minutes and received emailed rapid test results within an hour. Great day skiing only oldest daughter and wife were able to make it but great conditions and great to be back after 2 years. 
Wanted to hit Gagsters in Niagara Falls on the way back for some pizza and wings, website said opened till 9, got there just after 8 and they were closed. They said they close early due to Covid but I think they just close early if they aren’t busy. Anyway they suggested we go to Good Fellas across the way, pizza was pretty good but wings not weren’t, weird beer selection too, no rolling rock, no MDG, no Bud. Should have gone to La Hacienda or?
Watched the gas prices and all hovering around $4 per gallon. Topped up the tank from just shy of half at $4.04 for $52 us total.  I did a calculation on a comparison to compare to what we are paying here and based on 1.70 per litre, US gallon converted to litters and the currency exchange taken into effect we are paying the equivalent $5.05 per US gallon, basically 25% more! 
To add to the adventure after getting home my daughter was unloading the truck with the help of our two dogs and our youngest one took off into the night and she couldn’t call her back, so I sent my son and his friend go get her, damn dog had a skunk cornered under a neighbours car and was taking multiple direct hits and wouldn’t back down and I couldn’t get her called off and without getting sprayed myself could grab her. So started throwing snow balls at the stupid dog to scare it back so my son could grab her. Off to the car wash in town that has a dog was station. After and hour or so, bottle of dishwashing soap and hydrogen peroxide for good measure she was cleaned up pretty good. I haven’t talked to the neighbour yet but will walk over shortly and offer to wash their car for them. Luckily it was under his wife’s car and not his week old truck or I would feel really bad. 
Perfect adventurous day!

24 minutes ago, Surf and Turf said:

Perfect adventurous day!

I don't know how many times a skunk can spray , but I guess your dog got  smelled up pretty good !  We have only had one encounter with our last dog getting hit by Pepi and the soap/peroxide cleaned her up well . Our gas is approaching $8 per Imp.gal .....remembering the days of 10 cents per liter for my 55 Chevy.....

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

I don't know how many times a skunk can spray , but I guess your dog got  smelled up pretty good !  We have only had one encounter with our last dog getting hit by Pepi and the soap/peroxide cleaned her up well . Our gas is approaching $8 per Imp.gal .....remembering the days of 10 cents per liter for my 55 Chevy.....

The Rez is nice and close to me.  $.20 cheaper. Pretty bad when you feel good about paying $1.50L