Ice out Carp

Cleithrum

What's the earliest ice out carp you've caught?   

The pic attached was May 13th last year and I think the water temp was around 50F,   corn on a hair.  Mid May is still a long way off it feels like ,ha. 

What's the earliest you've made it happen?   Any tips to get it done?

Screenshot_20220308-073800_Gallery.jpg

Is that Hamilton harbor?

You can start right now if you can find open water. Even start tossing some bait in the get them feeding and maybe hold them in a area. Creeks and rivers are a good place to start but right now with the thaw they are raging, well at least the grand river is. I have a small local lake that just partly opened up I have a few pics from fish from mar 26-30. I’m going to start fishing it as soon as I have time. Maybe Toss some corn in on way home today. 

the pics were taken before I started using landing mats. 

0BAB65DB-6BD3-4933-9C6D-B6A88CD9C093.jpeg

19961A87-0D30-4656-9E38-DE7C45A56B3F.jpeg

E329F07D-0518-42DD-8128-1CF7573BD94E.jpeg

My 1st usual carp spot is only 3-4' deep and warms up quickly by April . The carp are in the shallows to spawn .....also the big cats !

Were you using maize or canned corn Cleithrum ?  

Tyler ....last pic looks like maize in the net ...

I just returned from the buck store & saw cream corn , 2 for $1.25 which I use for pack bait . I like to use can corn like Gr. Giant to get larger kernels since the gobies seem to be absent , and other fish take the corn as well .....use directly on a (larger hook) or a hair rig .

Gettin the itch when I see those pictures guys ......STOP IT !!  :pardon:

Kind of related...I saw two guys on the weekend, fishing the Welland River just off of Oakwood in Niagara Falls, north side of the river between Montrose and the QEW. Driving by it looked like they were set up for carp but they could have been after cats.

43 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Tyler ....last pic looks like maize in the net ...

I think it was canned corn. Cream corn 2/1.25 I would’ve bought the whole shelf and whatever cases they had lol

this year I’ll be going back to the maize, spending $20 on corn a session is a lil pricey. Gotta save money for fuel now. 

2 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

A couple fish from where you are fishing I believe 

C92CBE99-A76B-445E-99BF-3D0217F5D97E.jpegBeautiful fish.   Mine was from La Salle park.  Burlington side of Hamiltojn Harbor

F8764063-A558-475D-80D9-7417AB7D4ABD.jpeg

On 1/11/2022 at 4:26 PM, Morwood80 said:

On 1/12/2022 at 11:09 PM, smerchly said:

1 minute ago, Cleithrum said:

I used corn from the freezer.  yeah gobies don't seem to be around till things really warm up.   Once they're around I go to maize. 

Great info here.  I may need to give it a go. 

Ya these are la salle fish also. I usually start fishing there in the fall. Sometimes you can fish year round if the winter isn’t too cold. 

2 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

I think it was canned corn. Cream corn 2/1.25 I would’ve bought the whole shelf and whatever cases they had lol

this year I’ll be going back to the maize, spending $20 on corn a session is a lil pricey. Gotta save money for fuel now. 

Some of their canned products come from Cornville Uganda  ,but I don't think the carp know that !  The local DollarRama  has a good supply of food (can goods, bread,buns, cookies , cereal , etc etc) . I like their potting soil for starting my seeds like tomato & basil I planted today . They have a good stock of seeds , 3  pks. for a buck .

The can corn are small cans for a buck ....cheaper at WallyM.

Good place to save a few bucks for us old birds .... 

2 hours ago, Bubba14 said:

it looked like they were set up for carp but they could have been after cats.

I have binoculars in my van ....look for a can of corn or a hunk of liver on their hook . Worms on the grass a couple nights ago .....good for both carp & cats .

We went to Orillia  a whlie back , about 30 years ago , to fish for  perch & crappie in a neighbourhood canal and it was frozen over with thin ice . We had a anchor on a rope in the truck so we tossed it out several times to break a passage way for our lines . ....ended up with a few perch and a broken anchor which may still be there today . 

I just mentioned to the guys where we have been ice fishing , it looks like a good spot to fish for cats and carp after ice out .....but the shore is too thick with tree fall ,etc. ,so the canoe /yaks would be needed to have better access .   

On 3/13/2022 at 8:07 PM, smerchly said:

We went to Orillia  a whlie back , about 30 years ago , to fish for  perch & crappie in a neighbourhood canal and it was frozen over with thin ice . We had a anchor on a rope in the truck so we tossed it out several times to break a passage way for our lines . ....ended up with a few perch and a broken anchor which may still be there today . 

I just mentioned to the guys where we have been ice fishing , it looks like a good spot to fish for cats and carp after ice out .....but the shore is too thick with tree fall ,etc. ,so the canoe /yaks would be needed to have better access .   

We should get that canoe out this year smerch and chase some Jordan catts

Good idea Ty.....I need 2 strong arms to paddle out to the cat spots .  B)

BTW carpers .....   While checking out bird seed prices which have gone crazy at local C.T . & Wally's  , I found this 50 lb. bag of seed which may be ok to use for carp pack baits ...about $30 including tax. I have a 55 lb. bag of maize to mix with it  for chum. I've seen some recipes using bird seed in pack baits .....

Minor Bro's NOTL , near the Homer Bridge ....they have some great outdoor clothing too ....

https://shop.mbcountryliving.ca/shop/product/09b-02-b-c-basics-bird-seed-50lb-22-6kg-29?search=wild+bird+seed

3 hours ago, smerchly said:

BTW carpers .....   While checking out bird seed prices which have gone crazy at local C.T . & Wally's  , I found this 50 lb. bag of seed which may be ok to use for carp pack baits ...about $30 including tax. I have a 55 lb. bag of maize to mix with it  for chum. I've seen some recipes using bird seed in pack baits .....

Minor Bro's NOTL , near the Homer Bridge ....they have some great outdoor clothing too ....

https://shop.mbcountryliving.ca/shop/product/09b-02-b-c-basics-bird-seed-50lb-22-6kg-29?search=wild+bird+seed

I gotta get to my local pevey mart and grab some fish food :)

7 hours ago, smerchly said:

Launch from Baileys bridge and those spots are closer!

😏

59 minutes ago, Mbocco said:

Launch from Baileys bridge and those spots are closer!

😏

I was surprised to see there was a good current flow there yesterday and clear water . It would be good to launch there , a short carry from the parking lot ,

and don't leave valuables in sight , there has been some thefts there I've been told.  There is still plenty of ice at the area , not sure if there's a trail of open water north of the trestle . I took this photo yesterday from the conservation park (gate still closed) , looking SE . Lots of ice on the bay around the point . 

Jordan last ice Mar.17 , 2022.JPG

18 minutes ago, Mbocco said:

Yes. I drive by every day.  Lots of ice in there still but a lot less than a few days ago. 

I'm not sure about the launch at the Beacon marina , it may also be iced up .....but as you said , the ice is going fast and the weekend rain should open it up quickly .

My 90 lb.  aluminum canoe with my electric motor on the square stern would make a good ice breaker ....   :rolleyes: