Bertie Boat Club

marktheperchman

Does anyone still fish here in the spring. I haven't been in years but I used to hit some decent days of perch and even the odd rainbow. I noticed they blocked off the piers so you can't drive out to the end but is fishing still allowed before they put the docks in. The gate was open 

Like you, I hope we can fish there. I liked to go there for big Mud Cats (yellow bellies). Caught a 20 inch Brown there as well.............................Daniel

Many years ago I did that and it was hit and miss with some good days. My brother loved to catch a bunch of catfish close to shore and said they were good out of the cold water. I remember being there and fishing little holes in the ice just as it was almost gone but not quite.

I'm a member at the BBC.  The basin itself is closed to fishing.  The yacht club next door, which was traditionally the perch fishing side, is also closed off except for at the end of the pier.

The yacht club also leaves docks in, which are all supported with ropes criss crossing the basin which would make it tough to fish anyway.

Many years ago the early spring perch fishing was very good off BBC and the yacht club. You were usually fishing in 15 feet or less of water. Once the gobys got established the perch moved out to much deeper water 50-70 feet, some say they did this to better protect their eggs during spawning. Now, any time I've tried off BBC, you're mainly fighting with gobys and the perch you catch are mostly dinks.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been on the waiting list for 2 years now with the Bertie Boat club. Only want a launch pass, no intention of leaving my boat there. Spoke to Manager today and doesn't look good for this year either. I normally use Crystal Beach but it's been getting worse and worse last couple years. They are predicting this year to be ever busier 🤮