First trip out

Tyler0420

The only place I can think of to launch is at the SCGFA ramp . Marinas still have ice but it looks like the ice is going fast starting tomorrow .

I hope to get 2 more outings on the ice this week (maybe)   

According to this weather site the temps are above freezing  for the week ahead , with some rains .

Weather this week.JPG

Brown trout should be as shallow as 15ft of water for sure near Jordan and maybe near Grimsby even now.  The lakers will slowly move in as the water temps approach 38F in the shallows. 

Im going to try as soon as the lake allows. Just don’t fall in. 

I’ve been missing the kayak fishing but it’s almost time!

Yes exactly.  I’ll usually start with 2 different crankbaits. One minnow profile that dives deeper and one shad profile that dives shallower.  No weights required in 30ft and less.  Crankbaits are nice to troll with because you can always see them working on your rod tip. 

If that fails I’ll switch one out for a spoon with snap weight or diver. 

It also depends on where the fish are being marked.  They aren’t just on bottom in the spring.  

43 minutes ago, Mbocco said:

Yes exactly.  I’ll usually start with 2 different crankbaits. One minnow profile that dives deeper and one shad profile that dives shallower.  No weights required in 30ft and less.  Crankbaits are nice to troll with because you can always see them working on your rod tip. 

If that fails I’ll switch one out for a spoon with snap weight or diver. 

It also depends on where the fish are being marked.  They aren’t just on bottom in the spring.  

I can’t wait.  
gotta straighten out my fishing gear and get together a spring trolling box. 

41 minutes ago, Mbocco said:

You don’t need much.  Travel simpler.  You will catch more fish because you won’t change out every 10min. 

Spoons, sinkers, crankbaits. 

I bring 2 rods and 1 Plano case of lures. 

Ya I always try and pack light on the yak. 
don’t forget the net!

On 3/14/2022 at 4:28 PM, Mbocco said:

Lol right.  I did that once.  The lure may still be attached to that laker’s face. 
🙄

Can’t remember what thread you posted in about getting out. Where did you launch from?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to mbocco for the tips and tricks my yak is all ready to hit the water. 
two more small things todo.

- relocate the flag behind me with a mount which I have. 

- find two track mount rod holders

thanks again mark for the wiring/battery help. 

B2891E16-44BD-494E-85C7-480BD8ED3EEE.jpeg

93106916-51D8-41F0-8C63-21F264F2499E.jpeg

Real jealous, I’m stuck with shore casting, good luck out there

Im not sure if you’ve ever seen Eric haataja’s YouTube channel but brown trout is his specialty, currently the igfa record holder for c&r I believe, there’s quite a few videos with a lot of good info tips you can utilize

6 minutes ago, Bass-turd said:

Real jealous, I’m stuck with shore casting, good luck out there

Im not sure if you’ve ever seen Eric haataja’s YouTube channel but brown trout is his specialty, currently the igfa record holder for c&r I believe, there’s quite a few videos with a lot of good info tips you can utilize

I’ll definitely check out his YouTube channel.  I’m always looking for some pointers. 

a few more things to consider…

1.  Did you successfully mount the transducer below the kayak so that it is sitting within the hull’s external?  IE…not exposed to rocks or logs?

2.  That flag will be in your way but maybe you can find a spot behind.  I don’t use one. It would be in my way on either end of the yak.  
3.  The finder will be in your way in that spot.  Push it as far forward as you can.  It will still be visible. 
4.  Rod holders for trolling are tricky because the rod’s butt end gets in the way of your peddling.  You have to tinker with the angle of the rod.  Also hopefully you don’t have long butt ends.  They do make extenders though to bring the setup above your knees. You can use the ones built into the kayak behind you but then you are always looking behind you. If you have a clicker in your drag it helps.  

I have an extra rod holder designed for a baitcaster that you can try if we meet up to catch trout sometime soon. 

once you get out and do it you will discover what works for you and what doesn’t.  Don’t buy too much stuff until you know what you really want. 

2 hours ago, Mbocco said:

a few more things to consider…

1.  Did you successfully mount the transducer below the kayak so that it is sitting within the hull’s external?  IE…not exposed to rocks or logs?

2.  That flag will be in your way but maybe you can find a spot behind.  I don’t use one. It would be in my way on either end of the yak.  
3.  The finder will be in your way in that spot.  Push it as far forward as you can.  It will still be visible. 
4.  Rod holders for trolling are tricky because the rod’s butt end gets in the way of your peddling.  You have to tinker with the angle of the rod.  Also hopefully you don’t have long butt ends.  They do make extenders though to bring the setup above your knees. You can use the ones built into the kayak behind you but then you are always looking behind you. If you have a clicker in your drag it helps.  

I have an extra rod holder designed for a baitcaster that you can try if we meet up to catch trout sometime soon. 

once you get out and do it you will discover what works for you and what doesn’t.  Don’t buy too much stuff until you know what you really want. 

1- yes the transducer is mounted, tucked up in the hull. 
2-I’ll be relocating the flag behind me but close enough I can turn the light on when when needed(going out early or staying out late)

3-the finder will need to be adjusted, not sure where the best place will be until I’m out on the water. 
4- I was thinking of this style so the butt ends aren’t a problem 2DA42E06-D3DF-44E1-8873-5091B0877F73.png

Or I’ll have to get some extensions to raise the rods up higher.  I don’t really wanna use the ones behind me. Sure salmon and trout will pull drag but walleye fishing I feel like I could miss some bites. 

I have a pair of track mounted rodholders, and When trolling with 2 rods I cross them across in front of me in an x pattern so I can still paddle easily, and it makes it easier to see any hits.

As for fishfinders, I have been using a real old Lowrance Eagle portable for many years.  I want to upgrade it this year, and was seriously thinking of buying the Garmin Striker Vivid 4cv.  However, I saw a video that changed my mind.  Apparently Lowrance invented the downscan sonar and patented it, so no other company can use it.  Garmin and Hummingbird claim they downscan, but dont actually spot fish fully directly under your boat because they fudge their “down” scan by overlapping 2 side scans together, so they may not detect all fish directly below.   I have now decided to buy the Lowrance Hook2 5x Splitshot with true downscan capability.

57 minutes ago, DNorton said:

What fish finder are you using for your yak? Sold the boat and bought a yak and now I gotta look into fish finders. Any tips are greatly appreciated 

I bought the hummingbird helix 5. Haven’t used it yet I just got it mounted. Thanks to mbocco i bought a small lithium ion battery that only weights 1lb. Way better then the normal 12v batteries that weigh 10+lbs. 

9 minutes ago, genec said:

I have a pair of track mounted rodholders, and When trolling with 2 rods I cross them across in front of me in an x pattern so I can still paddle easily, and it makes it easier to see any hits.

As for fishfinders, I have been using a real old Lowrance Eagle portable for many years.  I want to upgrade it this year, and was seriously thinking of buying the Garmin Striker Vivid 4cv.  However, I saw a video that changed my mind.  Apparently Lowrance invented the downscan sonar and patented it.  Garmin and Hummingbird claim they downscan, but dont actually spot fish fully directly under your boat because they fudge their “down” scan by overlapping 2 side scans together, so they may not detect all fish directly below.   I have now decided to buy the Lowrance Hook2 5x Splitshot with true downscan capability.

What rod holders are you using? How high are your rods tips?

My yak is a Wilderness Systems, and i bought 2 of their rod holders when i got the yak.  They tilt and swivel on a ball head.  They are about 9” in length.  I keep them fairly low, so my rod tips are maybe 2 feet off the water.

Tyler, where did you get your battery?  I will need one for a new fishfinder.

I’ve found that I never catch the fish I mark and never mark the fish I catch when trolling for trout.  My finder is mostly for speed, depth and structure.  It is helpful to know there are fish in the area though.  

My Garmin Echo43 has been good enough for me.  A bit small but for the above purposes it’s fine.  

I don’t use downscan for trolling trout.  I do use both frequencies of sonar side by side though as their cones are different so it tells me a bit more how far away the fish are from my boat.