Skunk Grass ?

smerchly

This corner of my back yard was once my 20' x 30' veg. garden . The big maple tree next to it has very thick fibrous roots that are near the surface & nothing will grow ....except some grass & many weeds . Today I was shocked to see it looked like someone took a rototiller to it  ....at least 150 holes or more covering an area about 16' x 20'  !

I'm assuming it was a skunk or 2 , & the yard is 99% fenced with vinyl chain link fencing .  I have been here since 1981  & never had this happen . Worms don't live in this area as the tree roots are too thick right to the surface .  So , I'm guessing , skunk(s) ?

....click on photo a few times for enlargement ......

Skunk Grass.jpg

36 minutes ago, smerchly said:

This corner of my back yard was once my 20' x 30' veg. garden . The big maple tree next to it has very thick fibrous roots that are near the surface & nothing will grow ....except some grass & many weeds . Today I was shocked to see it looked like someone took a rototiller to it  ....at least 150 holes or more covering an area about 16' x 20'  !

I'm assuming it was a skunk or 2 , & the yard is 99% fenced with vinyl chain link fencing .  I have been here since 1981  & never had this happen . Worms don't live in this area as the tree roots are too thick right to the surface .  So , I'm guessing , skunk(s) ?

....click on photo a few times for enlargement ......

Skunk Grass.jpg

Had the same issue before. Skunks digging up grubs. Went to the states years ago and brought grub killer. Sprayed yard and the next day I literally had 500 dead grubs on surface. Grass grew back nice and thick.

They should be good bait for pannies , trout , etc . but I've never given them a try . If I can dig some up (if there's any left ) it might be worth a try .

I can't find much info on the www on these grubs fishing wise.....

...Update ...10:25 pm ....just checked the back yard and there was a fat skunk and a rabbit out there !  

Now I know ............the rest of the story !!    :skunk:

...Update 2 ...  I found the spot where Pepe' came into the yard ,under the chicken wire fence. I hope Pepe'  likes bbq chicken wings or the Popes' nose

which is waiting for him in my wire cage trap . He/she tore up more of my yard last night AFTER I put the run to it.  

Yep vicious cycle to the lawn as the grubs will kill the grass and the skunks will tear it all up for good measure to get the grubs. Growing up my dad had an ongoing battle with grubs, he got his hands on some banned insecticide one year which killed the grubs along with half the birds in the neighbourhood. In my teens I put together a skunk assault rifle with a 22 and mag light with red lense, I used to stay up late to go on skunk patrol every spring. 

26 minutes ago, Surf and Turf said:

Yep vicious cycle to the lawn as the grubs will kill the grass and the skunks will tear it all up for good measure to get the grubs. Growing up my dad had an ongoing battle with grubs, he got his hands on some banned insecticide one year which killed the grubs along with half the birds in the neighbourhood. In my teens I put together a skunk assault rifle with a 22 and mag light with red lense, I used to stay up late to go on skunk patrol every spring. 

I saved a skunks life last night by not hitting it in my truck. The bugger sprayed my truck anyways. 

43 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

I saved a skunks life last night by not hitting it in my truck. The bugger sprayed my truck anyways. 

The truck needs a new paint job anyways !  

Pepi is a fatty as I saw her at 10:30 pm.  2 days ago.  I'm sure I'll lure her into my trap with those delicious chicken wings soon .

As a kid I remember a wrestler called Sky High Lee walking into my grandma's house with a skunk on his shoulder ...he was 6'8 !   :unsure:

22 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Bastard, you should have stopped and backed over him. That would have fixed him!

21 hours ago, smerchly said:

The truck needs a new paint job anyways !  

Pepi is a fatty as I saw her at 10:30 pm.  2 days ago.  I'm sure I'll lure her into my trap with those delicious chicken wings soon .

As a kid I remember a wrestler called Sky High Lee walking into my grandma's house with a skunk on his shoulder ...he was 6'8 !   :unsure:

6'8" wrestler with a skunk on his shoulder? Sounds like there might have been some Skunk Weed involved? Ha

That was back in the 50's when we were teens and sneaked over a 6' fence to see the wrestling matches that were outside at the old T.P. plant on Louth St. St. Kitts where we saw Sky High Lee , Yukon Eric , the Masked Marvel , and the tag team "Midgets" as we called them .  Sky was a BIG scary dude , but gentle as a lamb outside the ring . But we kept our distance from him and Pepi.....

Sky High Lee.JPG