reel maintenance

Chrisb

What is recommended grease/oil for fishing reels.

I want to service my walleye reels. They seemed a bit stiff last year. I had pull the line out. It was just a bit too stiff to flow out on its own when the harness was tossed in. Otherwise they were functioning fine.

2 hours ago, Chrisb said:

What is recommended grease/oil for fishing reels.

I want to service my walleye reels. They seemed a bit stiff last year. I had pull the line out. It was just a bit too stiff to flow out on its own when the harness was tossed in. Otherwise they were functioning fine.

I need to start cleaning my reels also so it will be good to know what to use. 
I just dropped off two reels to Kenny’s reel repair in Hamilton, he called me a a few hours later and they were done. Smerch maybe you can bring some of your older reels to him or I can drop them off for you when we fish sometime. 

I use a product from "Shooter's Choice" . It is an all weather high tech grease with an advertised temperature range of -65 to 350 F. It comes in a push button syringe that is very easy to apply exactly where you want it with no excess. It also has a sturdy cap to prevent leakage when not in use. I started using it on my break open style of shotguns to grease the pivot points and it works great. You can find it for under $10 at any store selling gun cleaning products.

2 hours ago, shoemaker said:

I use a product called reel butter. I got it a few years back at the niagara fishing show in ft. Erie. Seems to work well. I can't remember which exhibitor I purchased it from.

Is it a grease or an oil. I see Basspro has reel butter oil.

The general rule is to grease the internal gears, and light oil the external parts and bearings.  Do not over oil the bearings though, especially the clutch bearing. I rarely take apart my reels but will use light oil on the accessible parts. 

I have had this kit for about 5 years  & have used the oil up ,but it's very close to 3 & 1 oil which is cheaper 

The butter 'grease' hasn't been used  except a tiny amount on spinning reel shafts mostly .I got the kit at the Leisureplex , Ft.Erie show.

And here's the Dollar Store $4 scissors I bought to see if they cut well enough for braid line . They cut it very well , 

and it helps get a clean cut by putting some tension on the line when it's cut ....a few pieces in the photo.   The braid is 20# . Braid Scissors.jpg

Reel Butter Kit.jpg