Snow Tires

smerchly

Sorry for the bad language but it's that time again to switch back to soft water fishing , etc etc . 

So , when do you guys trust ma nature to remove the sssnow tires from your vehicles . If I had a 4 x 4 truck I wouldn't use them at all in this 'banana belt' area ...

I have 8 tires to change & it's a back breaker for this dude now at 79 .....I have CAA  & they will come here in 2 weeks to change them for about $120 (taxes in) .

The last thing I need is for my back to go 4aSHT !   That could cut into my fishing time !     B)

25 minutes ago, genec said:

Bill why don’t you see if you have any high school kid neighbours and offer them some money to do it for you?

Never buy snows for my 4x4 Cherokee down here.

Not sure if I’d trust a high school student. Most people don’t have torque wrench’s. If a tire flys off at least you can go after caa  for it. 
for $120 and you don’t have to leave your couch I’d take it. 

Guess I’m old school cause I’ve changed a lot of tires over the years, and never own a torque wrench to do it, and none came loose, fell off, or had any problems.

I assumed Bill would supervise any kids he hired

32 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Not sure if I’d trust a high school student. Most people don’t have torque wrench’s. If a tire flys off at least you can go after caa  for it. 

You are right there Tyler ...a liability issue .  These days you can be a millionaire spilling a 'too hot' coffee on your lap .lol

2 minutes ago, genec said:

Guess I’m old school cause I’ve changed a lot of tires over the years, and never own a torque wrench to do it.

Gene ...I have a large torque wrench , an electric  impact driver with a set of impact sockets ,all 4 years old .

I can change the 8 tires in 2 hrs . but I don't trust my back now.... The hard part is lifting the tires to the wheel studs . 

I could try using some boards , a jack or a chain hoist . lol   

Just got a call to check out my old central air unit , coming Monday  ( $ 166. ) kachinggg ....that's a 1/2 dozen fishing lures !   :Gonefishing:

3 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

There will be something on the paperwork around "need a retorque after x KMs" which if you don't do resolves them of all liability.  Probably if you did it yourself, they would be resolved as well since it probably has to be done by them.

I just changed mine, making too much noise and drawing too much unneeded attention towards my vehicle, the faces I get when I am driving, that becomes the sign to change the tires.  Takes me about an hour or so depending on how many neighbours want to chat it up and are confused that someone does it themselves so they want to ask questions.

Put the headphones on and go to town.  Also makes the world of a difference having a proper jack that is quick up and down.

58 minutes ago, Snags said:

Put the headphones on and go to town.  Also makes the world of a difference having a proper jack that is quick up and down.

I have a good trolley jack , just roll it under the car & use a piece of plywood or the wheels will dig into asphalt  driveway. CAA uses a board also .

And they inflate all tires to proper  pressure & do a battery/alternator  test ....and replace wipers (pre-arranged) .

I compared my big torque wrench with CAA , set at 100 lbs. & I was happy to see my wrench was very close to theirs ....I checked about a month later , still under 100 km....(covid related)  :rolleyes:

Snags ....I could hear you coming down the road 5 km away .....   ^_^ 

Just now, Surf and Turf said:

Personally I have my mechanic do it, but everyone is different. Cars are about the only thing that I don't mess with. 

Yes , same here Surf .... I still change my oil & filters on my Van & grease all the fittings ....easy to slide under on a carpet .

My mechanic in Thorold  (Ken Cosgrove)  does all the rest .  

4 hours ago, smerchly said:

You are right there Tyler ...a liability issue .  These days you can be a millionaire spilling a 'too hot' coffee on your lap .lol

Gene ...I have a large torque wrench , an electric  impact driver with a set of impact sockets ,all 4 years old .

I can change the 8 tires in 2 hrs . but I don't trust my back now.... The hard part is lifting the tires to the wheel studs . 

I could try using some boards , a jack or a chain hoist . lol   

Just got a call to check out my old central air unit , coming Monday  ( $ 166. ) kachinggg ....that's a 1/2 dozen fishing lures !   :Gonefishing:

Couldn’t help but notice you talk about someone checking out your a/c, I got a guy that’s great and very fair should you ever need a second opinion. As for the tires, I use Q-tire on hartzel for my wife’s SUV I find them to be fair and easy to deal with. Just my 2 Pennys

As a Plus member of CAA I get a discount on the non member rate (of course) , and it saves me the time to go elsewhere to do it . They come to our house , do the job  & will bag each tire if desired . First vehicle is $59 ....second is $39 .....plus the tax. actually under $120 total .  

Paid for by Mr.D .Ford as he sent me a love check for $480 .  :wub:  I'm still ahead one new  Stradic 4000  !    B)

I don't use snow tires on my 4 x 4 truck but I do have them on my wife's Fusion. I change them myself and I also use a large trolley jack. The problem is the car sits so low to the ground that I cannot slide the jack under it. I use my ramps to drive up a foot and then I can do it. The hardest part for me is lugging the 8 tires back and forth to my backyard shed. I use an electric impact gun but I also use a torque wrench for the final tightening. I have occasionally had it done at garages but twice (at 2 different places), they forgot to tighten one of the wheels and by the time I drove the vehicle the mile or 2 home, the rims were ruined. 

51 minutes ago, verado said:

I don't use snow tires on my 4 x 4 truck but I do have them on my wife's Fusion. I change them myself and I also use a large trolley jack. The problem is the car sits so low to the ground that I cannot slide the jack under it. I use my ramps to drive up a foot and then I can do it. The hardest part for me is lugging the 8 tires back and forth to my backyard shed. I use an electric impact gun but I also use a torque wrench for the final tightening. I have occasionally had it done at garages but twice (at 2 different places), they forgot to tighten one of the wheels and by the time I drove the vehicle the mile or 2 home, the rims were ruined. 

I made a small ramp using 2 pieces of 2 x 6  with one end tapered that gave me 3" more clearance . I also use them to level my van while changing oil & greasing . I always torqued the studs to 100 lbs.  I stack all 8 tires in a corner of my garage ...the last 2 tires are a chore to toss over my head !  I hope you got reimbursed for the damaged rims !  

I store the tires in my pool shed because with a 17' ATV trailer, 19' boat, ATV, table saw, mitre saw and stand, kayak, air compressor, trikes, bikes, carriages and wagons for the grandchildren, I have run out of corners. That's not to mention all the crap I've got hanging from the ceiling, walls and attic shelves. Most of it I will never use again and if I do need it, I either forgot I have it or can't find it. I understand some people actually park their cars in the garage. And yes, they did replace my rims.

3 hours ago, verado said:

P.S.  I forgot to mention snow blowers(2), power washers (2), lawnmower, wheelbarrow, ladders, shop vac, chainsaws, weedeater, leaf blower. I think I have a serious problem. Is there a crap collectors anonymous?

I know the feeling..i just built my garage 16x 28 a year ago and its packed with so much crap already its annoying....hard to believe it was all in my two sheds and my basement before🙄

6 hours ago, verado said:

P.S.  I forgot to mention snow blowers(2), power washers (2), lawnmower, wheelbarrow, ladders, shop vac, chainsaws, weed eater, leaf blower. I think I have a serious problem. Is there a crap collectors anonymous?

No grass thatcher ?? :dunno:  I'll trade your leaf blower for my electric thatcher ....it destroys weeds too !   I can't get a wheelbarrow inside my garage ! I have a 5 x 7 tin shed crammed with garden ornaments ,etc.,  a 8 x 10 shed  full of garden stuff like a lawnmower , large leaf mulcher , several gas cans , rakes etc. , a 10 x 10 barn shed crammed full of summer stuff , and a 40 year old one door fridge sitting outside for beer  , worms , veggies , ect .  My basement looks like a tackle shop , work shop , clothing store , and hardware store !  

Sorry , I don't know of any CCA  verado  ,  but I have CAA   ...