First carping of the year

Tyler0420

20 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Good luck smerch I wish a I had more time this afternoon/evening. Tomorrow looks like a beautiful day to be out fishing 

It sure was a beauty day ,,,& the fish were biting . As usual , lots of cats and hooked my first carp of 2022 . I had 2 rods baited up with can corn , 

one 7' with q 2500 reel , & my old 8 ' salmon rod with a Stradic 4000 . The smaller rod was to be my " cat, rudd  & whatever rod , but it took a hard hit & almost got a bathed in

murky water . It ran out a lot of line & headed into the reeds , my net was 30' away . I finally brought it into the reeds , laid the rod down (loose drag) 

and made a mad dash for the net . It decided to take off after that 10 second rest & I finally had to step into the reeds and to net it ....should have taken my BIG net !

She came in at a full 21 lbs . , a real beauty for my first carp . I ended up to 2 more small carp about a pound + . I put the smaller rod away after landing the big girl ....too much action for 2 rods .  ....got a few shots , one 'selfie" snipped from a video ...

1st carp 2022 ,21lbs.JPG

21 lb.carp.JPG

double header.JPG

It was a slow carp day today ....visited a few spots before dropping my line in and found the berm at CDP gone !  It was flooded over and only two small trees  still standing  until they get swept away ,,,,a BIG difference in the "jungle" of trees & shrubs there a few years ago . 

I used can corn on a hair rig with 1 oz,sinker on a 3 way rig. & corn/oats for chum.  After 2.5 hrs with no bites , I decided to pack up , and as I was getting ready to reel in I noticed a light bite on the rod.  I picked up the rod & noticed the line was very slack ....reel in the slack & felt some 'movement ,so I set the hook and off it went !  After a nice scrap I landed a carp just over 20 lbs. Then I left , with a smile !    B)

,,,a shot of the washed out berm at CDP....

20 lb.carp CDP.JPG

Berm gone CDP.JPG

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

It was a slow carp day today ....visited a few spots before dropping my line in and found the berm at CDP gone !  It was flooded over and only two small trees  still standing  until they get swept away ,,,,a BIG difference in the "jungle" of trees & shrubs there a few years ago . 

I used can corn on a hair rig with 1 oz,sinker on a 3 way rig. & corn/oats for chum.  After 2.5 hrs with no bites , I decided to pack up , and as I was getting ready to reel in I noticed a light bite on the rod.  I picked up the rod & noticed the line was very slack ....reel in the slack & felt some 'movement ,so I set the hook and off it went !  After a nice scrap I landed a carp just over 20 lbs. Then I left , with a smile !    B)

,,,a shot of the washed out berm at CDP....

20 lb.carp CDP.JPG

Berm gone CDP.JPG

If there was a food shortage, you would never go hungry Bill  🤪

36 minutes ago, knightfisher said:

If there was a food shortage, you would never go hungry Bill  🤪

Well , I've eaten those ugly catfish and  burbot and eel (snake) so a carp-kabob may go good with a plate of kale !  

We can use carp to make those delicious 'down home' fish cakes for desert too .   

Well , the score today .....Carp 1 . Smerch zero . I lost a good one after a 5 minute battle , then it headed into a spot where there is brush/tree branches under the water . I tried to hold it back , tightened up the drag but the line snapped about 4" from the hook . (17 lb. Spider Wire leader  on 20 lb. main line. )

That's the second carp I lost there ...wish I could pull those branches out !   

Great to be out there and taking in the nature sights , like one chipmunk , lots of red wing black birds that came within 6 ' to eat some spilled corn , lots of vultures , a sawbill duck catching lots of big minnows , cormorants , and one lonely goose that seems to be a resident there .

No fish to post , but a nice shot of these male red wings .........

Red wings.JPG

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

Well , the score today .....Carp 1 . Smerch zero . I lost a good one after a 5 minute battle , then it headed into a spot where there is brush/tree branches under the water . I tried to hold it back , tightened up the drag but the line snapped about 4" from the hook . (17 lb. Spider Wire leader  on 20 lb. main line. )

That's the second carp I lost there ...wish I could pull those branches out !   

Great to be out there and taking in the nature sights , like one chipmunk , lots of red wing black birds that came within 6 ' to eat some spilled corn , lots of vultures , a sawbill duck catching lots of big minnows , cormorants , and one lonely goose that seems to be a resident there .

No fish to post , but a nice shot of these male red wings .........

Red wings.JPG

It’s was nice a nice day to be out smerch no sun but still pretty warm. 

19 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

It’s was nice a nice day to be out smerch no sun but still pretty warm. 

Actually it started to rain (fine mist) and got a little chilly as the wind picked up . 

But after that battle with the 40# carp , I was sweating !   

That's all it takes to make my day !