Joe Montgomery

smerchly

I just mentioned Joe to my wife two days ago that I wonder if he is still with us and how he was doing .......

Well today ,  I got my answer !  I posted it here because I'm sure many of us older guys will remember this honourable man .

He was  a member of the SCGFA and taught his fly tying skills at the clubhouse and he ran a charter boat for salmon , taught kids casting , etc etc .

He attended our "swills" and we enjoyed his presence immensely ! 

He was on this earth for 100 years !!  Congrats to Joe , a well deserved life on this planet ! 

Here's some more info about his great life .....   

https://www.legacy.com/ca/obituaries/stcatharinesstandard/name/joseph-montgomery-obituary?pid=201940541

I always looked forward to Joe's fishing articles in the newspaper and when he published his book "Fishing In Niagara" I was quick to get a copy. Imagine my surprise when I opened it to page 24 and there was my '79 Blazer and 24' Crestliner on the launch ramp in Port Dalhousie. I was totally unaware the picture had been taken

I remember his stories in the Standard and attended his seminars where he gave out many prizes . I won a trip for 4 people to the Waltonian Inn for a day of ice fishing . 

" 79 Blazer" ...wow !..  that's going back to the 'old' days !    

Check out the comments about Joe in the obits for a few days , we may know some of his many friends .

I still have some of his articles on Perch fishing stapled on my garage wall. He was a regular sight on Erie, always anchored in the same place off the lighthouse. He had a rather distinctive boat with twin 65's or 70's that he kept at Bertie Boat Club. Waltonian Inn brings back many memories too. Spent many a weekend there for ice fishing. Frank the owner had 2 little kids, Sacha and Nadia, who I understand took over the operation after he retired. I was a teenager when I first went, saw his ad in the TV guide. You arrived Fri night and after a big breakfast on Sat, were taken by enclosed Bombardier to rather large huts with wood burning stoves. The bait was supplied as was lunch and in the evening a huge steak dinner with Frank's homemade wine. Same thing on Sunday but after lunch he started to bring people in for the return home. The fishing for Walleye, Pike, Perch and Ling was excellent. That first year this entire pkg was $48 per person.

I have been to Idle Tyme  Resort twice ,very close to Waltonian Inn & rented a cottage in the late spring . Good fishing, nice quite place .  We had a great day ice fishing complete with the Bombardier ride out and propane gas stove . They  were great hosts ....but we didn't get to share Franks homemade wine !  :dunno:

$48 per head ....NICE !    

Wayyyy back in the day we went to Beachwood Lodge ( Buckhorn) with a group of 8 ( 4 couples)  at $7 per day each . That included rooms , and 3 meals per day !  Fishing for eyes was good & I caught a 10 lb.ski on a minnow., fishing from an anchored boat !  Those were the days my friends .....:Gonefishing:

I can remember a few times when I was involved with our local conservation clubs as a younger guy in my 30s with your son Bill......as a trustee on the board for our club......the years that I worked with the MNR on the Welland river walleye project that all the old timers always loved when he came and spoke at our meetings and events.....as a trustee at the time for the " tri clubs" sitting in an volunteering at the " fish and game"..here and there, everyone always looked forward to him being there.....another thing you mentioned.....the swills.......always getting together to help raise money to promote kids in the great outdoors........thanks for sharing and starting this thread ole smerchmiester.....ps...., Pike fishing

We could write many pages on Joe's life Jack . As a 'youngster' I went to meetings of the SCGFA at the Queenston Hotel in St.Kitts , but I don't remember if Joe was there as well .... I did a couple years helping (feeding & water testing) with the salmon pens at Port Dal. and always listened closely to the 'old timers' input about  stocking speckies or Atlantic salmon to out tribs ,etc. I knew Percy McKay & Mr.Schnek  (sp) very well who had great stories & jokes to tell at our meetings .They are all together now ....I'm sure they will have many years of stories to tell ....

Oh yes.....toothy ones will be on the loose next Sat .  The minnows I have left in my barrel are all 1" ers....& only a dozen left .... & I have plenty of  larger salties . I'll have to wet the net somewhere to get some whoppers about 2-3" .  Lets wet the floats soon JW !    :Gonefishing:

It really sucks that we're the old timers know. My 20 something neighbour told me her father-in-law is dying from cancer. But after all she said "He is 55". female dog.

On 5/9/2022 at 6:13 PM, verado said:

It really sucks that we're the old timers now. My 20 something neighbour told me her father-in-law is dying from cancer. But after all she said "He is 55". biotch  lol

At 79 , I am grateful I have outlived all my parents on both sides except one uncle who got 83 years . I know many others , like my mother who got 48 years and many in their 50's who got lung cancer from smoking . I didn't think I would ever see the year 2020 but I'm still kicking ass at 79 . :deadhorse:  Every day is a bonus and every minute with a fishing rod in my hand is the icing on the cake . I may croak tomorrow or 'survive to 105" , it's now "one day at a time .