Boat help

DNorton

Hey guys got a new to me boat from a friend and having issues getting the motor running, after a few days of mucking around with it, seems as though the condenser and points are shot. Just wondering if any of you guys know where I would begin to look for parts for it. It’s a ‘96 omc 3.0 cobra for reference. 

FC94F30D-EF1C-49EE-803D-9287C0B5D6E0.jpeg

BF117C9C-9F06-4C48-9A6C-C36E003200D4.jpeg

looks like a small chevy but they can use a couple of different distributors / ignition systems .Any good auto parts store should be able to help you but if its the points then clean ,file ,set gap at recomended width n fire er up

On 5/9/2022 at 7:42 AM, Row dog said:

looks like a small chevy but they can use a couple of different distributors / ignition systems .Any good auto parts store should be able to help you but if its the points then clean ,file ,set gap at recomended width n fire er up

Tried that. I think its the capacitor, but I ordered both just to be safe from hartzel marine. Hope to get it going next week 

1 minute ago, DNorton said:

Tried that. I think its the capacitor, but I ordered both just to be safe from hartzel marine. Hope to get it going next week 

I had a hard time with an old car trying to get it to fire up ....turned out to be the capacitor . Some were faulty from the get go .

Another time it was a small coil near the bottom of the distributor shaft ....Guy in the GM dynamometer engine testing room put me onto it....

12 hours ago, smerchly said:

I had a hard time with an old car trying to get it to fire up ....turned out to be the capacitor . Some were faulty from the get go .

Another time it was a small coil near the bottom of the distributor shaft ....Guy in the GM dynamometer engine testing room put me onto it....

wonder what coil that would be thought jus a gear at bottom driven off camshaft ?

28 minutes ago, Row dog said:

wonder what coil that would be thought jus a gear at bottom driven off camshaft ?

It's called a pickup coil , near the bottom of the cam shaft . Mine was not working , but that was many decades ago  .  

The newer engines may not have this devise .

...from the www......

Pickup coil gm.JPG

by base of distributor they mean underneath the disributor cap.This of corse is the top of the disributor.DNORTON has point ignition hence no pickup coil or module. Actually the pick up coil would act as  the points did and  the module acted as the condenser/capacitor.Today we have a computer to replace all of these lol