The SSF (Canadian carp society)

Tyler0420

Good to see they are biting better as the last few days have upped the H2O temps . You have a good chance of breaking the 30# barrier there as the lake fatties should be heading in or out .  Good luck ....I should be out there but the yard chores need to get done before we head out to see out long lost trailer at the BOQ.

I got here late this morning. Lines in by 9:00. Lots of action then but has died the last 1.5hours.  Probably one fish here and there the rest of the day and pick back up this evening/night. Got my 3 fish so just gotta get some upgrades now. 

18 minutes ago, knightfisher said:

Some big mamas swim through there, you never know what you'll catch. My personal best 40 lb was caught there a few years back.

:Gonefishing:

40lb carp?

One was caught lake side a couple weeks ago. 

14 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

40lb carp?

One was caught lake side a couple weeks ago. 

Yep, when the lake carp are spawning, they come through the channel. Sometimes one gets lucky. Biggest since has only been a 20 lber.

Awesome, nice to see that spot paying out again for you this year. 

I was fishing for Cats the week prior in the dark and it was flat calm and you could hear the sploosh of the carp rolling.

1 hour ago, rab546 said:

I was fishing for Cats the week prior in the dark and it was flat calm and you could hear the sploosh of the carp rolling.

Ya I missed the best two times to fish yesterday, early morning and late evening/night.  No biggins but weighed in two 18’s and a 16lber.  Last year when I crushed it there it was a week earlier then this time so I might have missed the best of it. 

2 hours ago, rab546 said:

Any good size cats caught?

6 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Any good size cats caught?

No for that spot I would have expected them to be bigger but no skunking, was left wishing I had my carp tackle with me. 

Plenty of carp coming out everywhere this weekend.

Today was a battle fest and I am beat !   The carp were hungry (two double headers) ! A guy was fishing my normal spot using worms for catfish(only got one cat & a sucker) and I let him have some fun reeling in 2 carp on the second rod . He caught the largest at 22 lbs. , I was second at 20 lbs.,  total was 6 for 8 plus a large rudd that was  taking my corn from the hair rigs .  Two carp took the floating corn puffs , including the largest one. My arms and legs took a beating as I didn't take a chair today ....and I brought home 2 ticks ,even though I sprayed with deet !  Great day on the waterfront !

The 20 lb.carp had a carp rig on the dorsal fin ....maybe yours Ty ?  

22 lb.carp.JPG

Rudd.JPG

Rig.JPG

1 hour ago, Jwl1 said:

Looks like you guys been having some fun

The bait fish were jumping and scattering as some large fish broke the surface a few times with some good size swirls Jack ...maybe pike after them or trout or bass ....I was thinking about using them for pike bait  but ,

It's a long haul to carry out a bucket of minnows there ,but maybe they are in a Port now . When I did the Salmon pens the minnows came in heavy to pick up the pellets that went  through the pens .  I'll have to do a run to Port (with pike gear)  and check the minnie situation out this week . The old bod. needs a rest after today's "workout" . 

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

Today was a battle fest and I am beat !   The carp were hungry (two double headers) ! A guy was fishing my normal spot using worms for catfish(only got one cat & a sucker) and I let him have some fun reeling in 2 carp on the second rod . He caught the largest at 22 lbs. , I was second at 20 lbs.,  total was 6 for 8 plus a large rudd that was  taking my corn from the hair rigs .  Two carp took the floating corn puffs , including the largest one. My arms and legs took a beating as I didn't take a chair today ....and I brought home 2 ticks ,even though I sprayed with deet !  Great day on the waterfront !

The 20 lb.carp had a carp rig on the dorsal fin ....maybe yours Ty ?  

22 lb.carp.JPG

Rudd.JPG

Rig.JPG

Kinda looks like my rig but I never lost any rigs the one time I was out. Maybe from last year but how the heck would it get caught in the dorsal?

nice outing though smerch. No 30 but a couple 20’s is nice. 

19 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:
2 hours ago, smerchly said:

Kinda looks like my rig but I never lost any rigs the one time I was out. Maybe from last year but how the heck would it get caught in the dorsal?

I have seen videos of carp "rolling"over the baits like they were trying to pick up scent or mating with it ....

The hook dislodged from the fin as it got caught in the net webbing . The line broke off about 4" from the main line knot . I noticed my  30 lb.mono leader had some abrasions the same distance from the knot which makes me think there are some sharp rocks(ridges) on the slope there and some braids breaks off easier ....

Plenty of carp were rolling at the surface at 9 am , when I first arrived...  low winds coming from the east today.