Quick Algonquin trip.

DNorton

Made our yearly trek into welcome lake in Algonquin. Weather was interesting to say the least. 36 degrees In may -.- and they say global warming isn’t a thing. Anyways we did well on the fish, buddies went 7/7 both of them and I went 3/5 on Saturday after a slug fest to get into the lake friday. Thunderstorm hit Sunday morning we got soaked and decided that was enough after the gruelling portages in and took a nice paddle / portage out. All In all a great quick weekend and some good eating fish too. 

10D6928A-C64F-490B-9E31-83DBE7953190.jpeg

B385C054-26BE-4B00-8EA6-985838CA2FB8.jpeg

E3EE1951-E1C5-4EEC-BD05-698D7CC51339.jpeg

FF39CFEA-EC56-43D2-A761-CF4F0A810F39.jpeg

Some beautiful fish there, looks like you had a great trip. Haven't done a real Algonquin canoeing trip since high school during the May 24 weekend in 1986. Had some big temp swings during that trip too, cold and wet, then hot and eaten alive by black flies next. 

4 hours ago, DNorton said:

Made our yearly trek into welcome lake in Algonquin. Weather was interesting to say the least. 36 degrees In may -.- and they say global warming isn’t a thing. Anyways we did well on the fish, buddies went 7/7 both of them and I went 3/5 on Saturday after a slug fest to get into the lake friday. Thunderstorm hit Sunday morning we got soaked and decided that was enough after the gruelling portages in and took a nice paddle / portage out. All In all a great quick weekend and some good eating fish too. 

10D6928A-C64F-490B-9E31-83DBE7953190.jpeg

B385C054-26BE-4B00-8EA6-985838CA2FB8.jpeg

E3EE1951-E1C5-4EEC-BD05-698D7CC51339.jpeg

FF39CFEA-EC56-43D2-A761-CF4F0A810F39.jpeg

Looks like an awesome trip. I’ve never done a portage trip. 
nice looking fish

1 hour ago, Surf and Turf said:

Some beautiful fish there, looks like you had a great trip. Haven't done a real Algonquin canoeing trip since high school during the May 24 weekend in 1986. Had some big temp swings during that trip too, cold and wet, then hot and eaten alive by black flies next. 

That’s exactly what we had, but the reverse. Hot and humid portaging on the way in, cold and rainy on the way out. 

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

Looks like an awesome trip. I’ve never done a portage trip. 
nice looking fish

You should try it! We’re headed into Kawarthas high lands park for bass opener this year. Can’t wait! It’s a whole different experience! Algonquin was packed this weekend I was surprised to see how much gear guys were bringing over a 2.2k portage trail. 

It has been a few years for me as well. We'd usually go in behind Kearney or South River. We'd go in opening weekend, end of April/first of May, usually 3 or 4 canoes.

One year we began the trip with light snow falling, only to have the temps reach the mid-high teens by the afternoon. That trip turned into a harrowing experience as we had to deal with howling winds and huge waves as we crossed the final, shallow lake to our vehicles. Two local, very experienced guys dumped their canoe while crossing this lake just before us.

On another trip, the temps dropped to -7 both nights. We were all cozy in our sleeping bags but of course you need to exit them to get the fire going and breakfast started. Both mornings I volunteered to get the firewood, the extra activity helped to warm me up!!

Those trips sure bring back the memories, fish, food, moose and lots of laughs!!!

Some of the portage trips are the most memorial , whether it be fishing , hunting , or both . We had 4 portages to get to Upper Mace Lake for our moose hunt .

The more remote a place is the better the fishing or hunting . My canoe has seen many portages & it is 90 lbs. (good thing my buddies are all bigger !  

We never got into the spekkies , but the splake were a close second !

As Bubba14 said above " Memories "  !