Beauty Day

smerchly

46 minutes ago, Mbocco said:

Caught me a snakehead, kinda like a pike but a whole lot meaner.  Smells worse too.  Here’s a few nature pics for Smerch.  The swan like creature which I think is a crane was 3ft from me.  He wanted the bass I was catching. 

397BE25E-3C50-4172-9A79-38539CA5622E.jpeg

6418493F-DE4D-495C-91B0-5031E63C1AAE.jpeg

F4D6CBF5-9025-4A51-B45F-A56110DCA025.jpeg

Is that not a gar pike?

Looks like a gar to me also ...and they also have gater gars too . That white long legged bird looks like the one that delivers babies !!  .............ha

That inlet might have some nice fat crappies too , or some mamoth gills ? 

Thanks for the strange birdie pictures .... we have the white egrets and swans that help brighten up the day !  

Hope to see what reptiles are in the water there . My only trip to Florida (1982)  ( Lauderdale) wasn't a fishing trip  , just the beer & beach scene , but there were tree lizards all over the place . (my ex.didn't like fishing, hence the ex.)   :rolleyes:

Just returned from a dusk yak along the lily pads.  These bass like crankbaits.  Throw one at the edge and a bass eats it.  Albeit little ones.  I even caught one trolling back.  

I assume the bigger ones are under the pads but the winds were blowing my blow up yak too much to work them that way.  Miss my peddle drive lol. 

And that previous pic was confirmed a Florida gar.

So the cool thing about fishing when you know for sure that the fish are there, is that you can try all sorts of techniques, power and finesse. 

So far I’ve caught bass on…

-t-rigged curly tailed worm

-t-rigged stickworm

-Ned rig

-crankbait

-Topwater choppo

Still haven’t got one on a frog, swimbait, wacky rig or creature bait.  The week is only half done but tomorrow is Seaworld. 

Here are a couple of the typical bass this week.  Small but a fish. 

D312CA71-5876-4B40-BBCA-A26DE0998312.jpeg

11861C0B-5A9A-45B1-8006-714DE48515E9.jpeg

2 hours ago, Mbocco said:

So the cool thing about fishing when you know for sure that the fish are there, is that you can try all sorts of techniques, power and finesse. 

So far I’ve caught bass on…

-t-rigged curly tailed worm

-t-rigged stickworm

-Ned rig

-crankbait

-Topwater choppo

Still haven’t got one on a frog, swimbait, wacky rig or creature bait.  The week is only half done but tomorrow is Seaworld. 

Here are a couple of the typical bass this week.  Small but a fish. 

D312CA71-5876-4B40-BBCA-A26DE0998312.jpeg

11861C0B-5A9A-45B1-8006-714DE48515E9.jpeg

Better then being at work. 👍

With 90* F. water temps , would the bass have as much 'spunk' as our cool bass ? 

Do people eat any species of fish from that warm water ?  I'm comparing our fish that seem to be more platable when the water is cold.

In my younger days I had fun using small poppers in the shallow back bays at Jordan or at rocky shorelines near dusk .

7 minutes ago, smerchly said:

With 90* F. water temps , would the bass have as much 'spunk' as our cool bass ? 

Do people eat any species of fish from that warm water ?  I'm comparing our fish that seem to be more platable when the water is cold.

In my younger days I had fun using small poppers in the shallow back bays at Jordan or at rocky shorelines near dusk .

I wouldn’t eat any freshwater fish from here.  The real saltwater yummy fish are only 45min away if you want to eat caught fish.  Grouper, snapper, redfish, snook….delicious!!

They hit topwater hard but overall not as spunky as our bass.  But they do get to 10lbs here.   I’m certain that would be a challenge with gear. 

Well , we had  haddock for dinner yesterday , and yes , quite tasty !  We also enjoy some fresh water perch , pike , walleye, crappie....

Years ago I would buy  catfish fillets from Tops  (Cajun style),  ready to swim in hot oil , and they were delicious  .

Some people enjoy drum ,suckers or carp ....to each their own when it comes to eating fish . 

When we were kids , our parents would by "snails"  (perrywinkles) and we would pull those curly critters out of the shell and eat them (ughhh) !! 

But I'm not a fan of clams , oysters , sushi , etc ., some things don't appeal to my limited  H2O cuisine .....

There must be a good variety of fish lurking under those pads .....     :Gonefishing:

Today is a day off fishing.  I am taking the family to Seaworld to ride some coasters and see some dolphins, alligators, sea lions, stingrays and orcas.  2 of my 3 kids are pumped.  The other one is a teenager and has attitude.  I want to break his phone over my knee. 

I can add paddle tail and frog to the success list from this morning. One thing they don’t like……anything white. 

The question is, am I happier catching 40 fish btw 1/2 and 2lb or would I sacrifice all the action for 2 lunkers? 

Just now, Mbocco said:

I can add paddle tail and frog to the success list from this morning. One thing they don’t like……anything white. 

The question is, am I happier catching 40 fish btw 1/2 and 2lb or would I sacrifice all the action for 2 lunkers? 

When fishing for pannies' there's always the chance a lunker will take your offerings . Enjoy catching the wee ones until ........   :bb2:

You have had plenty of practice at the River .

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

When fishing for pannies' there's always the chance a lunker will take your offerings . Enjoy catching the wee ones until ........   :bb2:

You have had plenty of practice at the River .

True enough.   This is super fun and a good warmup for bass season back home.  Last season was my first real season where I focussed on bass and now I’ve sharpened my tools!