Da Smerch!

bigugli

7 hours ago, Mbocco said:

Is he OK?

Does the little red button mean he exploded his computer?

Thanks for posting Bruce . My pc went beserk & I could not get on line ....desktop icons were all there but I could only get my picture folder . My Picasa pic.file was dead but I could get my home page (Google) . When I tried to open a web site a large box came up and said my clock/date was out of sync to allow any access to the www..AND my clock/date at the bottom corner said 2/20/1602 as the date !  I tried for hours to follow the instructions to change the clock & got as far as 1980 to start advancing  every month & year but I thought that would take hours to get to 2022 .

So I bought a new HP laptop & new mouse . It has windows 10 . I am completely in the dark with this new toy......

Enter Dave , my son in law .....gets on my old pc and starts advancing the clock/date starting at 1980 . He held the advance button down for about 10 min. & it suddenly jumped to 2000 ,then quickly to todays date &time . I got everything back including my Picasa pictures . Dave is a wizz. at putes & cell phones ! 

Then he spent an hour or so setting up my new lapper . ...had to put in some codes , & get hooked up to wifi . He brought a blue tooth speaker with him that looks like a large lantern that has a moving light going with the music . ...very impressive sound & can shake the house down !  I have a lot to learn ..., will try to set it up for easy acess to my web sites a little each day . This pc can blow up anytime so I am downloading some of my  1000 pictures ....deleted about 500 today , will keep about 10% or less on the flash drive .   

I'll keep using this old relic until it blows up the house as it's so easy to navigate compared to windows 10 . 

Cheers  

35 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Thanks for posting Bruce . My pc went beserk & I could not get on line ....desktop icons were all there but I could only get my picture folder . My Picasa pic.file was dead but I could get my home page (Google) . When I tried to open a web site a large box came up and said my clock/date was out of sync to allow any access to the www..AND my clock/date at the bottom corner said 2/20/1602 as the date !  I tried for hours to follow the instructions to change the clock & got as far as 1980 to start advancing  every month & year but I thought that would take hours to get to 2022 .

So I bought a new HP laptop & new mouse . It has windows 10 . I am completely in the dark with this new toy......

Enter Dave , my son in law .....gets on my old pc and starts advancing the clock/date starting at 1980 . He held the advance button down for about 10 min. & it suddenly jumped to 2000 ,then quickly to todays date &time . I got everything back including my Picasa pictures . Dave is a wizz. at putes & cell phones ! 

Then he spent an hour or so setting up my new lapper . ...had to put in some codes , & get hooked up to wifi . He brought a blue tooth speaker with him that looks like a large lantern that has a moving light going with the music . ...very impressive sound & can shake the house down !  I have a lot to learn ..., will try to set it up for easy acess to my web sites a little each day . This pc can blow up anytime so I am downloading some of my  1000 pictures ....deleted about 500 today , will keep about 10% or less on the flash drive .   

I'll keep using this old relic until it blows up the house as it's so easy to navigate compared to windows 10 . 

Cheers  

Nice to see you’re  ok and back at it smerch. You’ll get use to the new computer. 

4 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Nice to see you’re  ok and back at it smerch. You’ll get use to the new computer. 

Thanks Tyler , I may not have a hair left on my head by the time I'm friends with that lapper .   It doesn't even use Google !  

Hopefully I can save  some of my special pics. from Picasa which has no support now.  

Any chances you may do another run here this week ?

8 hours ago, smerchly said:

Thanks Tyler , I may not have a hair left on my head by the time I'm friends with that lapper .   It doesn't even use Google !  

Hopefully I can save  some of my special pics. from Picasa which has no support now.  

Any chances you may do another run here this week ?

I’m not sure when I’ll be fishing again. I’ll msg you though when I come that way. 

Just now, Mbocco said:

That’s a great story!

Thanks .... my high school history teacher said I had a great imagination as I made up my own history facts & figures .....and failed the exams ...

My pc is feeling fine today except for the clock . I believe it's a cookoo clock as the date /time didn't change from yesterday . ( I can live with that ! )

Bill, I learned a long time ago to always have at least one more backup hard drive in my computer, and copy all files I want to keep to it on a regular basis.

its not a case of IF the drive or computer will die, its just WHEN its going to happen!  Many years ago I put a new hard drive in my computer, spent 6 days installing Windows and all my software, and a week later the new drive failed - had to install another drive and start installing everything all over again.  Learn my lesson after that happened!

I upgraded my computer a year ago when Microsoft quit supporting Windows 7 Professional, and went  whole hog on the new one - 4 hard drives in it.  My main drive is a 1 terrabyte chip on the motherboard, and the other 3 are solid state hard drives.  I even had the computer store set it up as a RAID system where the computer constantly backs everything up automatically to one of the solid state drives all the time, and I still back up important files to the other 2 drives on a regular basis.

Every 4-5  months, depending on how many things have upgraded, I make a complete image of my hard drive on a different hard drive using a boot USB stick I have made. That way I can restore my system on a new hard drive if needed or I go somewhere that infects my drive.

4 hours ago, genec said:

Bill, I learned a long time ago to always have at least one more backup hard drive in my computer, and copy all files I want to keep to it on a regular basis.

its not a case of IF the drive or computer will die, its just WHEN its going to happen!  Many years ago I put a new hard drive in my computer, spent 6 days installing Windows and all my software, and a week later the new drive failed - had to install another drive and start installing everything all over again.  Learn my lesson after that happened!

I upgraded my computer a year ago when Microsoft quit supporting Windows 7 Professional, and went  whole hog on the new one - 4 hard drives in it.  My main drive is a 1 terrabyte chip on the motherboard, and the other 3 are solid state hard drives.  I even had the computer store set it up as a RAID system where the computer constantly backs everything up automatically to one of the solid state drives all the time, and I still back up important files to the other 2 drives on a regular basis.

This is wayyyy beyond my puter capabilities Gene .  If I was 50 years younger , I may get more involved . I like using Google as it's simple to use & I like the layout . My new lapper is going to take a long time to figure out until I can load up the desktop with my favourites like fishing sites, news, you tube , weather , etc  

1 hour ago, Mbocco said:

My crap saves to the cloud which I assume is fully available to governments around the world including our own.  But oh well. 

Cloud came up on my laptop this a.m. and asked me to read their offer , and I may get to that later , after I get Dave back to go through some apps in slow motion .  

I  can now understand why there are so many people with mental problems !