Ticks 2022

smerchly

How is the tick situation so far this year fellow shore anglers ?  I used the spray but still had 2 ticks on me after I came home from Jordan  a few days ago . (walking a weedy trail) 

Today I went to Port D.to get minnows , just walking through a park on the grass , then on a cement wall ...no weeds or grasses anywhere , just trees .

Then I did some gardening at home , a few tall plants like petunias , then played with our new dog on freshly cut grass ......

Just a few minutes ago while sitting here reading NFN , I felt something on my left elbow ....yep , a friggin tick !  I don't know where it jumped me ! (now deceased)  !

They give me the creeps ! !  We have very large maple trees in the back of the yard ....and squirrels !  Now we must check ourselves and doggie  every day !   :ninja:

Yep they r thick this yr. Have  eight girls running around for bday party and one had one on them. I get my property sprayed and it works great but of course they had to explore the big drainage ditch nxt door🙄

It looks like they are spreading into neighbourhoods more each year . When we were kids we never had ticks at our fishing holes or in the yard . 

My son lives in Ft.Erie and has plenty of them in his backyard .  I surely don't want to spray myself when working in my gardens, but I will spray deet at some of my fishing spots . Boat fishing has its advantages ....(except for those ankle biting flies ,etc.

I've probably found over 100+ on me already and not joking lol, but I was also turkey hunting, walking the ditches looking for empties and all that stuff. But even my place in fort erie has them in the yard and all over the dogs, and sometimes I look on the wall and see a tick sitting there. Very bad year for ticks this year and it's just the beginning. 

Just now, Mbocco said:

I often wonder if some people are more susceptible than others….kind of like with mosquitoes.

I hear they like people with  a little extra B12 in their blood  !    

Just now, Davidp16 said:

I've probably found over 100+ on me already and not joking lol, but I was also turkey hunting, walking the ditches looking for empties and all that stuff. But even my place in fort erie has them in the yard and all over the dogs, and sometimes I look on the wall and see a tick sitting there. Very bad year for ticks this year and it's just the beginning. 

Why is fort Erie so bad with them ? I'd be freaking out and moving north !   I have read that most black legged ticks are west of Ft.Erie at Long Point ....not much of a jump to get to Ft.Erie . I hope you are being very careful checking yourselves out . It's not easy finding them on many types of dogs . A friend uses apple cider vinegar on dogs ...that may be better than the deet we buy....

They 'say' a hot dry summer can kill many off but there are many areas with plenty of cool shady spots for them to survive ....hope my 30% deet spray deters them from my hide !!  

I don't like turkey hunting much anymore after close friend got lyme disease while out in the bush during spring hunt. I've picked many off myself hunting as well. Scary. Lyme disease is no joke. I live in NOTL and pick them off me regularly when out cutting grass and doing yard work. Scary stuff. At least with deer hunting you have no worries about that 

I’m 38 so I’m no young one anymore, but I’ve done a lot of bushwhacking on trout opener, practically lived on the Bruce trail during my childhood spend a lot of time outdoors, and honestly I’ve never ever found a tick on me once. Anyone else seem to have avoided ticks like me or am I just very lucky? And yes I do check myself

1 hour ago, Bass-turd said:

I’m 38 so I’m no young one anymore, but I’ve done a lot of bushwhacking on trout opener, practically lived on the Bruce trail during my childhood spend a lot of time outdoors, and honestly I’ve never ever found a tick on me once. Anyone else seem to have avoided ticks like me or am I just very lucky? And yes I do check myself

I’ve never had problems with ticks until this year. 

Just now, Bass-turd said:

That's strange indeed .  I've heard that black flies don't bother people from the first nations , probably just a myth ... . Maybe it'e the soap you use or don't use very often ? Are you one of those garlic lovers ?  What is your blood type ? Do black flies & mosquitos also keep their social distance ?  

Just now, Tyler0420 said:

I’ve never had problems with ticks until this year. 

It look like they like 'mature' blood more . As you age your skin gets thinner ( feel the heat or cold more) and the bugs can draw blood easier ?....I hope 'they' are doing more research on this problem . As Darryl said Lyme is no joke and can mess one's life up for years . ,,,and I do not like to get much deet on my skin , I spray my clothing . Apple cider vinegar is very strong , and cheap . It may work as well or better than the "Deep Woods" I have been using ,and still getting ticks ...

Just got my first one at CD Park yesterday.  When farming it was commonplace for me to find at least one a week until we got a good hot dry spell.  As far as ticks in the residential areas go....   St Kitts is surrounded by woodland and greenbelt, thriving with nature. Ticks simply latch on to any mammal and travel. Coyotes and deer come up from the 12 and roam the neighbourhood and so do the rodents. 

The 12 Mile valley is very thick with trees and brush . Many animals make it their home and come the hills to roam the hoods at night . Many people walk the road & trails along the creek (river) . When I fish there many pass by walking , biking , ect . and some let their dogs roam through the thick brush and grasses where the ticks are waiting for their next host .  

How were the midges there Bruce ....they must be thick by now . Those little fish are happy to  see them !