Pike hunting with smerch today

Jwl1

Had the pleasure of meeting up with smerch this morning on the quest to catch a couple toothie critters ...today's tactics pretty simple.....slip float and minnows for bait....I guess he just wanted to show off because first cast as fast as his line could settle....bam got one!.... little while later and up pops the creature from the black lagoon!!!!....after a couple hours and a few missed bites I finally found out what kept stealing my bait...and phew ..skunk off......I ended the day with something that was big enough to break me off as fast as I could say ..hey this one has some weight to it!!!...had to go at that point and get some sleep for work tonight.....always a pleasure over the years Bill... Thanks for spending a great morning

IMG_20220530_112128735.jpg

IMG_20220530_072106430.jpg

IMG_20220530_075959634.jpg

It was a pleasure... grasshopper . That pike was the 'quickest'  pike to hit my bait ever . I believe it took  the minnow before the float settled upright , and I haven't caught an eel in over 50 years . That one was a stong contender , nice to see them on the upswing .  

After you left Jack , I stole your spot to see if I could catch your lost pike and ended up taking seven perch home for tomorrows dinner . One 9" perch had 2 minnows and a crawfish in it's belly , yet took my minnow !  We had some good company , like the turtles and  after you left a nice water snake crossed my line .....

Thanks for being the camera man today and posting the pictures !   We should give it another shot soon . The water will warm up quickly with these high temperatures and the pike might like something like a 6" white twister  ,one of your top secret baits .....

Cheers 

8 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

You guys caught some nice fish. I hate those Eels.  They usually tangle your rig and coat everything in slime

He probably had to sleep outside after all the eel snot he had on himself....serves him right...the second I left he couldn't wait to slime his way over to my perch spot ( 5 feet away from where he was standing)🤣...and that's cool Bill that you got a bit of a feed...had a feeling when I threw mine back...I would have kept a couple had I had more time to fish...I'm good to go after work this week pretty much any day

It's a chore to keep the slime off the rig  & I found it was better to 'hang' the eel to revove or cut the line at the hook . I was using a 20# fl.carb leader & the hook was easily removed . The grass was still moist from the early morning dew which helped keep the slime on the eel . The small eels will tangle lines much worse as they tie themselves in knots .  

Jack ...I raided "your spot" as I didn't want to catch that eel again !   :rolleyes:    The largest perch was 11" & it had a mnnow in it's gut  with 2 pin holes through the LIPS !  I will enjoy your 'throw-back' today Jack .  

It's now 10:17 am  and 90F out there . ...ain't going nowhere today !

I wasn't going fishing with you today anyways.....lol...I'm still kind of mad that after I wasn't even there anymore that you had the guts to take my spot....then rub it in you caught dinner 😱😲🤔span widget...shoot me a message if you are getting out again next couple days