Boat died at 32 mph?

Hey guys never had this happen till now but i was goin almost top speed in my boat and it just cut out stalled dead...???  I tried restarting it and no luck...i made it back with my kicker ...got home turned the key no choke and fired right up and purred nice.....checked gas vent ..battery connections...and kill switch and found nothing wrong ???..its a 60 hp merc 2005...any thoughts or ideas or experience with this?..thanks in advance👍

Very hard to diagnose.Obviously a fuel or spark issue.Older coils can quit when hot but …all at same time rare.Fuel line can collapse but why when you’re home their ok ? Tough one

I have a 2005  Merc .50 HP 4 stroke EFI  and have had no problems (but not used much either)

Is your 60 Merc also a 4 stroke EFI ?  

You may find an answer here from Google ..... like a dirty air filter .

https://www.google.com/search?q=60+hp+merc+outboard+motor+dies+at+high+speed&oq=60+hp+merc+outboard+motor+dies+at+high+speed&aqs=chrome..69i57.28791j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/5/2022 at 8:33 AM, fishingking said:

No 2 stroke ..merc big foot

Just an fyi for those of you with oil injection motors where u fill at cap on  top of engine.....my o ring disinegrated and i hadnt noticed since doin An oil change in march ...then we had a couple good rains which some of it made its way into my oil jug and got milky and fouled up my oil pump also allowing that moisture into my fuel ...there was about 3/4" water separated at the bottom of 2 litres of oil here in pic20220620_095232_HDR.jpg

Just now, genec said:

if you are in need of a motor mechanic, John at Erie Marine east of Welland is great.

Would that be John from the former C & J  at the Beacon ?  Claude & John did good work for me . 

Just now, fishingking said:

I think il eventually do an oil pump delete...i guess theres a kit to buy to do it properly......u have to pull out the little gear that drives the oil pump and a couple seals and a cover plate...just use mix u know its gettin lube for sure then👍

My 1990 Merc 40 h.p. oli injected motor smoked like a haystack on fire and would stall while trolling . I had 3 mechanics look at it but it still would not troll , so I sold it to a guy who said he will fix it himself . He carried it solo to his truck !!  :o  C & J installed a great 2005 Merc. 4 stk.efi for me ....runs great .

I was going to get rid of the oil pump & mix the oil with the tank gas but when I saw the 50 for sale ......B)

Just now, Mbocco said:

That happens in lawnmowers too

I remember the old air cooled outboard engines as well  lol !

18 hours ago, fishingking said:

I think il eventually do an oil pump delete...i guess theres a kit to buy to do it properly......u have to pull out the little gear that drives the oil pump and a couple seals and a cover plate...just use mix u know its gettin lube for sure then👍

Did that 10 years ago on my Evinrude 115.  0 problems since! 

8 hours ago, smerchly said:

Would that be John from the former C & J  at the Beacon ?  Claude & John did good work for me . 

No, John used to work for Pt Colborne Marine, but got fed up with them, and set up his own business, and I can understand why - they kept my boat sitting in their yard for 4 weeks, then ripped me off on a Merc repair for over $500 - said “it was fixed”, but it was exactly the same after I tested it in the water after!!  I tell people to NEVER go to them!!