gps tracker for boat

Cleithrum

The recent search and rescue on Erie as well considering boat thefts in the area has me thinking about a gps tracker for my boat. 

Can anyone recommend a good gps tracker that they've used?   Ideally I'm looking for something subscription free.... but maybe that's not possible for a decent and reliable unit? 

Any insight is appreciated. 

The most popular GPS tracker nowadays are the apple air tags. I believe they run 30 to 40$ and have no subscription.  Batteries last a year or so. Very small and easy to hide them in a car or boat etc. Only problem is I believe you need an iPhone to use them 

I'm not 100% sure on the range. I'd imagine on bluetooth they are very limited but I know people use them for tracking stolen vehicles etc...so there must be a way. They took alot of heat a while back because people were stalking women and slipping them into the their cars without their knowledge. I think using the find my iphone app you may be able to track them at greater ranges 

2 hours ago, Cleithrum said:

The recent search and rescue on Erie as well considering boat thefts in the area has me thinking about a gps tracker for my boat. 

Can anyone recommend a good gps tracker that they've used?   Ideally I'm looking for something subscription free.... but maybe that's not possible for a decent and reliable unit? 

Any insight is appreciated. 

Not a tracker for theft, but I bought an In-Reach Mini, satellite communicator a few years back. It has an emergency button that will summon help as well as being able to send text and email messages. In initially bought it with moose hunts in mind but, when I'm out alone on Erie especially trolling, I have it in my pocket and my inflatable on. Cheap insurance at $20 per month subscription.