Bass opener 2022

Tyler0420

Was supposed to go out with my son tomorrow in the tin boat, but he has an appt., so can’t go.

So instead, i am planning on taking my kayak out early to Pt. Abino bay and fish smallmouths before it gets too hot!

Looking forward to finally try out the trolling motor on my yak to see how it works.

10 minutes ago, genec said:

Was supposed to go out with my son tomorrow in the tin boat, but he has an appt., so can’t go.

So instead, i am planning on taking my kayak out early to Pt. Abino bay and fish smallmouths before it gets too hot!

Looking forward to finally try out the trolling motor on my yak to see how it works.

Nice good luck. Do you fish open water or the shoreline. 

We always go out to the middle of the bay, and troll 12-15 foot depths.

Seem to have the best luck on opening weeks at those depths at Pt. Abino.

Thats one of the main reasons why I got a trolling motor bracket for my kayak.

We have tried shallower, but always catch far fewer fish.

Also, trolling vs casting always seems to be more priductive for us.

3 hours ago, genec said:

We always go out to the middle of the bay, and troll 12-15 foot depths.

Seem to have the best luck on opening weeks at those depths at Pt. Abino.

Thats one of the main reasons why I got a trolling motor bracket for my kayak.

We have tried shallower, but always catch far fewer fish.

Also, trolling vs casting always seems to be more priductive for us.

If you have a nice breeze have you tried drifting and jigging ?  I like drift fishing with a 3 way rig using a worm harness, small raps,ect.

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

If you have a nice breeze have you tried drifting and jigging ?  I like drift fishing with a 3 way rig using a worm harness, small raps,ect.

I like drifting with a drop shot set up usually using finesse minnows, leeches,worms. 

1 hour ago, genec said:

Shad raps work best there for smallmouths  Bill, and FAR more effective trolling - and thats from fishing that area since the 1970’s.

Funny thing Gene , I caught my pb bass ( LM) on a dew worm from shore at Rennie P. many years ago . I was using 2 small hooks rigged like a worm harness with a small spilt shot & 6 lb.line using a 9 ft. Fenwick ultra light Blackhawk rod . I have some worms in the outside fridge , I should be giving them a bath there again . It's like using a Senko plastic worm for bass . I don't hear much about the Senko whacky rig much now.....

If all else fails, we go to the silver quick fish or Canadian wriggler. 5-15 feet of water is good. Paddle and leave the line 10-20 feet behind the kayak. They come to check out the kayak then see the bait and before you know they're hooked they are airborne! 

Beautiful morning to get out - on the water by 6, quit at 9.

Caught 2 bass, lost 3 more before I could get them to the yak.  All caught trolling - couldn’t get any fish drifting ant casting the same lures.

Also got a 5-6 Lb sheephead..

So glad I got the trolling motor bracket for my kayak - can now focus full time on fishing rather than paddling.

Managed a 20 fish day fly fishing out of Kayak on Lake Erie opening day..Some awesome sight fishing.Too bad wind dropped and spun East at about 10:30 and killed the bite..

Had a 15 fish day in the Grand once again on the fly.Grand is so low that fish were all huddled in a riffle..Couldn't poke one in the obvious holes..Strange day indeed. 

Yep, that was me in the Hobie 14.What a stinking hot day low wind in the afternoon knocked me out..I was slipping into heat exhaustion when I hit the launch..

One of my better openers in the last 3 years but not even close to the good ole days.

On 6/23/2022 at 10:11 PM, DNorton said:

Im in the Kawarthas this weekend with the yak. Can’t wait! Leave tomorrow at noon! 

I'm going to be in the Kawartha's to but not really keen on the lower Buckhorn..Last time there I had the impression it was fished on hard.The Smallies were in fact very small.I have to keep telling myself its a family trip LOL..Damn I wish they would change the date next week is still prime for sight fishing Erie..

On 6/30/2022 at 9:00 PM, Dave said:

I'm going to be in the Kawartha's to but not really keen on the lower Buckhorn..Last time there I had the impression it was fished on hard.The Smallies were in fact very small.I have to keep telling myself its a family trip LOL..Damn I wish they would change the date next week is still prime for sight fishing Erie..

Yea the fishing sucked. Lol for lack of a better term. My buddy got a 3lb smallie but that was about it for notable fishing. I went 11 for 13 all around 1 lb or less. I think it’s time to change up my opener spot

On 6/30/2022 at 8:55 PM, Dave said:

Yep, that was me in the Hobie 14.What a stinking hot day low wind in the afternoon knocked me out..I was slipping into heat exhaustion when I hit the launch..

One of my better openers in the last 3 years but not even close to the good ole days.

I was the one with the electric trolling motor on the yak.

Caught 2 bass, and lost 3 others - learned I need a landing net for the yak, so bought one the next day!