Carp non compliance day...

smerchly

The 12 was still at low tide so I tried for carp . There was no sign of them but a few large fish were jumping ...a bass almost hit my rod !  I tried maize & corn puffs & had one good bump ,but it may have been anything just passing by . A fellow told me a guy got 2 nice pike there and a smallie yesterday , so I hope to give that a shot next time soon ....or head to Welland Vale for the same .  

Here's a shot of my spot where there is a large rock just to the right of the rod that I have used to prop my rod when they drop the water more....I usually fish within 6' of that big rock .

Beautiful down there !  

12 carpspot.jpg

3 hours ago, knightfisher said:

Water down.....time to use tubes for bass Bill. We got good numbers of them when we were targeting them.

:Gonefishing:

Seems like the pike are hungry also . I didn't see any minnows as I expected this time of the season ...  tubes/senkos for bass , and Raps/spinner-twisters for pike .

Two hot days ahead ....too much for me to handle unless it's a 6 a.m. fish. I hope they keep the water down . 

• 2 weeks later...

That 's what happened to me at Quinte a few years back . I know the carp were there but were shy to come out from the weeds .....probably needed to chum more .

I found this old picture today .....I decided to rig up my 80's Fenwick 8' custom salmon rod paired with a D.A.M. Quick 440  spinning rod and had some luck . That old rod & reel has withstood the test of time very well , and still is ready for more action . 

I hope to get out soon , been house bound for 2 weeks as my gut drugs have wreaked havoc on this old codger ....

Carp 440 Reel ,Fenwick Rod.JPG

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

That 's what happened to me at Quinte a few years back . I know the carp were there but were shy to come out from the weeds .....probably needed to chum more .

I found this old picture today .....I decided to rig up my 80's Fenwick 8' custom salmon rod paired with a D.A.M. Quick 440  spinning rod and had some luck . That old rod & reel has withstood the test of time very well , and still is ready for more action . 

I hope to get out soon , been house bound for 2 weeks as my gut drugs have wreaked havoc on this old codger ....

I hope you feel better soon smerch. I’m missing all your carp pics. Now is the time when I slow down carp fishing and try getting my yak out for whatever. Heading to port maitland soon to try the lake for walleye. I’ll even take a couple sheeps. Lake is looking good for this evening. 

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

Get well soon! 

Just now, Darryl L said:

Get well soon! 

Thanks guys ....just a bunch of side effects from the drugs I have been on for 10 days . ...will see my doc tomorrow to air my complaints .

I seem to get all the side effects of any scripts I take . Some fresh fish fried in yogurt should fix me up !

And these hot sunny days are better spent indoors ....need to get out there before and after 6 am/pm. 

Hopefully you get some answers and results from your doctor. I haven't seen my family doctor since before COVID. My daughter tried to get in to see him for an issue a couple of weeks ago and instead of seeing her he gave her a prescription for antibiotics. She ended up going to emerg yesterday and received unexpectedly really quick care from the emerg doctor, complete with a round of tests. Nice that we have "free" healthcare when you can get it...

15 hours ago, Bubba14 said:

Hopefully you get some answers and results from your doctor. I haven't seen my family doctor since before COVID. My daughter tried to get in to see him for an issue a couple of weeks ago and instead of seeing her he gave her a prescription for antibiotics. She ended up going to emerg yesterday and received unexpectedly really quick care from the emerg doctor, complete with a round of tests. Nice that we have "free" healthcare when you can get it...

It's also been over 3 yrs.seeing my doc. until yesterday  & same thing with the scripts. by phone . Doc. said I need a colonoscopy to confirm the diverticulitis prognosis ....so I have an appointment for Feb.9 2023 , and that is for a 'consultation'  !!  That's our fine medical system gone for a $hit.  .Many people will die because of the lack of prompt care in this once great country .  We had better care back in the 50's when doc's came to our house .

Bubba...I hope it's nothing serious and she recovers quickly . They have been shutting down e.m.s. and even cancer treatments lately (staff shortage) ....as expected when you fire staff for "non -compliance " (government mandates). ...maybe better to look into going over the ditch for better care , may be worth the extra money .

Just now, Tony said:

Looks like a great place to fish Bill...........................A nice and relaxing spot.............................

It's beautiful down there Tony ..full of wildlife and a vast variety of fish , including some toothy ski's !  But it's a bit of a hike by foot or bike , and the beavers have dropped some trees in many spots which has caused the loss of a few nice ?? fish . In that photo you can see Brock U. at the top ....

Just now, knightfisher said:

Take care of yourself Bill. I'm just around the corner if you need help with anything....I don't cut grass 🤪

Thanks Dan , I'm making a list and checking it twice  ( :santa: )

I did cut the grass in spots with my old push lawn mower that runs on elbow grease . ( too much clover & bees that Duke the dog will eat )

I got some probiotic yugurt last night & now have 2 billion little animals cleaning up my inflamed gut . 

How are you at washing  vans Dan ?  ....and it could use a little tlc inside too !  B)

47 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Thanks Dan , I'm making a list and checking it twice  ( :santa: )

I did cut the grass in spots with my old push lawn mower that runs on elbow grease . ( too much clover & bees that Duke the dog will eat )

I got some probiotic yugurt last night & now have 2 billion little animals cleaning up my inflamed gut . 

How are you at washing  vans Dan ?  ....and it could use a little tlc inside too !  B)

Today would be a great day to wash a van, cool over spray. I have no shorts, would have to be in my birthday suit 😮

Birds must be thirsty today....had a downy woodpecker taking a drink out of my front yard humming bird feeder, caught on film, cool to see for sure.

We had a good downpour last night , should be some puddle water for the birds and varmits .

Birthday suit ?   I'll get the video camera out & send it to "Just for Laffs"  & the neighbours will cheer for you !  :clapping:

Many folks are enjoying nature more , that's one good thing about the aftermath of the c -one-nine fiasco . Many people installed pools and gardens in their yards and now enjoy watching the birds and bees visiting their new found sanctuaries . 

BTW your JITBS plant looks like it's still doing well . 

I'm hoping to toss a few worms before they croak from old age at Port tomorrow ..... I need a little tune up before I lose my upper story !   :Gonefishing:

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/12/2022 at 2:03 PM, smerchly said:

We had a good downpour last night , should be some puddle water for the birds and varmits .

Birthday suit ?   I'll get the video camera out & send it to "Just for Laffs"  & the neighbours will cheer for you !  :clapping:

Many folks are enjoying nature more , that's one good thing about the aftermath of the c -one-nine fiasco . Many people installed pools and gardens in their yards and now enjoy watching the birds and bees visiting their new found sanctuaries . 

BTW your JITBS plant looks like it's still doing well . 

I'm hoping to toss a few worms before they croak from old age at Port tomorrow ..... I need a little tune up before I lose my upper story !   :Gonefishing:

I went to fish Renne around 11 am for about 1.5 hours this morning, surprisingly fish were surfacing after we chummed but not one hit!  Not one touch on the hair rig....

On 7/27/2022 at 2:14 PM, steelshady said:

I went to fish Renne around 11 am for about 1.5 hours this morning, surprisingly fish were surfacing after we chummed but not one hit!  Not one touch on the hair rig....

I have found on many occasions that when the carp are jumpin they might be humpin & not interested in my great meals .

Some will take a break and decide to have a lunch break  and try my offerings .

I also found at Rennie the bite tapers off after noonish , and if the rowers & power boats are nearby , they might spook them . 

Just now, steelshady said:

Lost two fish on Friday afternoon at the same spot, was windy but not that hot.  Very hot for the next two days, looks like a beer day:)

Some days the bite is hot there . Tyler & I had one of those days  at the green walk bridge . One almost pulled his rod out of his hand before the corn hit bottom !  

Ya...too hot to fish , I check the weather & get out on the coolest hot days , preferrably cloudy days . I have an old beach umbrella ......

35 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Some days the bite is hot there . Tyler & I had one of those days  at the green walk bridge . One almost pulled his rod out of his hand before the corn hit bottom !  

Ya...too hot to fish , I check the weather & get out on the coolest hot days , preferrably cloudy days . I have an old beach umbrella ......

Smerch and whoever else we need to get out. I haven’t carp fished  since my last tournament.  I guess it’s kayaking season and I’ll start carp fishing in the fall unless something pops up. I didn’t buy a yak to let it sit in the garage. 
Im missing carping though. 

10 hours ago, steelshady said:

Lost two fish on Friday afternoon at the same spot, was windy but not that hot.  Very hot for the next two days, looks like a beer day:)

Tuesday looks good , cloudy , not too hot , west winds , lower humidity .  I have about 10 aging worms in my 'beer' fridge that need a bath  . Think I'll try Port D. & hope to hook an eye or two , or a few nice perch , using a worm harness with a 3 way rig.

And then back to some carp fishing at Gibby . They like my old corn puffs there .  (still looking for a fresh bag )

CAA just installed a new battery in my Astro van ...good to go ....I hope !

• 2 weeks later...

Carp 'complied' today !   Water level is very high into the grassy shoreline as the 12 Mile is very low due to the sport events at Port D ....ended up with wet feet as the water rose under my chair !  Lines in by 10 am...1st carp at 10:12 and 4 more by 11:00 . Then 2 more by 12:00 , then nothing after that . They were all between 8 & 10 lbs , and very scrappy ....using 2 rods with corn puffs .  I chummed with balls of packbait (  oats , cream corn & maize ) which I  made up at home before I left ...very convenient !

There are more weeds than last time but they can be seen from the bank & the water depth is only about 6 ' .

Another great day carping  and the weather was cloudy & cooler ....some shots....

Pack Bait.JPG

Mat fly.JPG

Mirror carp.JPG

33 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

I miss carping. Almost been two months since I’ve been. It’s nice you got into some good action. NICE MIRROR!!!! 

They were hitting every 10 minutes for the first hour , should have got there earlier ....no hits after 12 pm.

There were some small minnows and bugs for the fish to feed on ....but no ticks in that tall grass   

The mirror was a nice bonus . I was hoping it wouldn't slip the barbless hook out before I got a shot , lost one carp at the net but it saved me some time to reload .

As Arnie says ....I'll be back !    :Gonefishing:

On 8/9/2022 at 7:53 PM, smerchly said:

They were hitting every 10 minutes for the first hour , should have got there earlier ....no hits after 12 pm.

There were some small minnows and bugs for the fish to feed on ....but no ticks in that tall grass   

The mirror was a nice bonus . I was hoping it wouldn't slip the barbless hook out before I got a shot , lost one carp at the net but it saved me some time to reload .

As Arnie says ....I'll be back !    :Gonefishing:

Another carp run today  but a short one as it got too hot after the first hour . The bank is overgrown with weeds which cover large rocks ....need to watch your footing . Same method ,  using stale corn puffs & different spot today where I have caught carp before . First carp caught in 15 minutes ....second carp hit 20 minutes later as I was about to set the rod on the stand  . It hit hard only a few seconds after the bait hit bottom , then crossed over my other rod which I dropped the tip into the water to avoid tangled lines. Speaking of line ....I have the smaller reel loaded with a clear stiffer mono line which has been twisting badly and I ended up with a real mess with 30  ft. of line wrapped around the reel !! My knife took care of that mess real quick ...that crappy line is history & I'll  use braid on the small spool & add a 10 ft. lead of 30# mono. to it .(rocks)

The carp today were only about 7-9 lbs , but still worthy of putting our a good scrap . I picked the head from a purple aster & saw a tick looking back at me ....but no ticks on the old body .....must be my aftershave ..or I need a shower....

Moody Carp.JPG