Port D, July 12 am

LostLure

A rather nice morning out around Martindale Pond, which was nice considering the forecast and this my first proper day to spend fishing in awhile.

Landed a few early morning Largemouth and one diddy little Smallie, who maybe was too sleepy to put up much of a fight lol. Only one worth taking a picture of (below), but I did manage to capture some nice pictures of a spectacular Longnose Gar, shared below. 

It seems that perhaps the big guys are moving out to deeper cover and the annual pause for bass season from the bank is upon us 😂

hope everyone is doing well and keeping the skunks at bay

96F2DAEB-C84B-4FE3-B97E-1388115949A6.jpeg

67C23086-E422-4D40-8C7B-80128A130DB0.pngC79D33A6-B141-40B2-9029-CF5A5B59B623.png

58EB2CC2-CB3B-4150-82AC-F44236806185.png

2DDE98A9-9140-4115-BC0B-9D8183FB6089.png

Nice bass  LL ...very worthy of a picture !  It's a good place to get both  LM & SM bass .

How big was the gar ?  There seems to be more of them appearing here the last few years (Gibby , Jordan ) 

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

How big was the gar ?  There seems to be more of them appearing here the last few years (Gibby , Jordan ) 

I seem to do quite well at that spot, for both Smallies and the Largemouth. Although, I’m noticing that the cast:catch ratio is dropping and the size of the fish are getting smaller. One of the largemouth I caught this morning  was female, so I’m assuming that the larger guys I was pulling out before last week have migrated on and the kids are growing up and starting to follow them; with a few stragglers that I’m picking off with a football head jig and a tube. 

The Gar looked about 80-100cm from my view. When I saw it, I didn’t have the tackle to take it on, so I was faced with the choice of switching out my rig to put some steel on a minnow and bobber (and probably miss him while he slipped away), or teasing him out with the rig I had while I took pictures for prosperity (while desperately hoping that it didn’t actually go for my bait and bite my line off). He’s a smart fella, I only ever see him when I’m not ready for him 😂

They are tricky to hook  and they are a formidable contender when you catch one .  I would try a couple of small minnows under a float near the surface with a couple of small sharp treble hooks rigged 1" apart that can wrap arounf those sharp teeth , and have a pair of good pliers handy !  

That is a good size gar !   (30cm = 12" for us old schoolers)