Reel -less way to fish

smerchly

During these lazy crazy days of summer I stay home more & watch more fishing vids. on Y-Tube . I have never seen this method used but it is common in other countries . They only use a heavy flexible rod with 6-7 ft.of heavy line . A couple of my buddies bought  very long rods as I saw at one of the local fishing shows at Ft. Erie that were about 16 ft + . They drifted with those rods through weed beds , lifting & dropping on the opposite side we would normally use for drifting . They targeted walleye in the scattered weeds and caught a variety of fish with worms /spinner combo . 

The main idea is to find a small opening in a weed choked bay ,etc. & drop the bait plus float into the small opening . If a reel was used I believe they would head well into the tough weeds while pulling line out with the drag .  All you need is a long flexible rod , a short line and sharp hook . 

I have watched several  people using this method and one Asian girl has several vids of catching other species of fish , like big cats , etc.

It would be interesting to try this....I know a spot or two where I may be able to get some action and hook  bowfins too .

...only need to watch 2 minutes to see the fish .....anyone use these long 'reeless' rods ?  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqP9es14az4&ab_channel=KrishnaVillageFishing

I seen a guy fishing something like this in Hamilton harbor. He was using a extremely long rod(16’ roughly) with the skinniest float ever. Goby’s were sinking the float.
No reel, not sure how the line was attached. He’d sink the rod tip and set the rod on a bank stick while the rod tip stayed bent under water. Crazy set up. 
he was using two hooks with some kind of pack bait

I have been trying to find the name of these 'reeless' rods . Many use the light versions called Temkara rods for fly fishing etc. I would want to try the stronger rod about 16 ft. and able to handle a 20 lb fish .  I forget the name of the rods they displayed at the Ft.Erie Leisure plex that were at least 16' or more . They are very light and compact to carry in your bag  (telescopic)  .  I think Amazon would have them , if you know the proper name ?

The rods you guys are talking about look like the southern U S crappie poles.

they are reelless, and can be up to 16 feet or longer.

I think they were called cane pole rods because the early ones were bamboo cane.

Check this site:  
Www.bnmpoles.com

Thanks , I  watched some vids on using cane poles , some up to 16' long , mostly used for crappies or other small fish .

Other rods which were shorter (9 -12') were used for large fish like channel cats and carp . Those rods were very tough and flexible . 

I doubt that local shops sell them . I would want to  have one in hand to see how they flex with a 10 lb+ weight before buying . 

Gene , I remember guys using long bamboo rods with a float & it was fun watching  that long pole bend without snapping !  

This girl has many vids using a shorter type of 'cane' rod , about 8-9'  & it's super flexible & can handle large fish . I don't think it's telescopic , maybe a 2 pc.rod , but it's the type of rod I would be interested in using at some of my weedy spots ...My 8' custom used for kings many years ago comes close to being strong & flexible ...maybe give it a try with some 20 lb. Stren .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nKW7louErU&ab_channel=DungDungFishing

Theres a guy who fishes carp alot up by me on Kettle creek using the tenkara technique. Long rod with a single piece of corn and he does as well as anyone. Dont think he even weights it. This is a narrow section of creek with little current in summer though. You can almost walk across the carp on somedays there is so many in a small area. Like most Erie creeks the challenge is to keep them out of the sticks!

The main idea of using the tenkara type of rods with strong line is to stop the fish from going into the heavy weeds and breaking off  . The long rod and short line keeps them from going too far into the weeds or where there is branches in the water . A good spot to try here would be the "root beer river"  where it's narrow with weeds and branches .....also some cats there too .  I could use my 12' carp rod with a float  since the rod is strong enough to handle most large fish . I like the idea of the rod being telescopic for easy packing.