Deer butcher

Davidp16

Hi everyone as the season is fast approaching I'm just trying to tie up some loose ends and get that done before season, so I was wondering if anybody could recommend a butcher around the stevensville, Fort Erie, Port colborne area? Thanks alot! 

13 hours ago, Bubba14 said:

I've heard of a guy in the Thorold/Allanburg area. If that might work I'll get his name for you.

We took some of our moose to Egerter's which was near the Allanburg bridge . We all pitched in wrapping , and boxing the meat & had a great time out there . Mr. Egerter was a master butcher , long gone now .....I don't know if they still butcher game , couldn't find anything on line but maybe someone here knows ....

3 hours ago, smerchly said:

We took some of our moose to Egerter's which was near the Allanburg bridge . We all pitched in wrapping , and boxing the meat & had a great time out there . Mr. Egerter was a master butcher , long gone now .....I don't know if they still butcher game , couldn't find anything on line but maybe someone here knows ....

Yes Larry egerter and his brother Wayne still do it....they make a simple salt n pepper sausage and cut and wrap in brown packaging...they're shop isn't the cleanest...and I believe he charges an extra 20$ to skin the deer if you bring it in with the hide on it so cut and wrap maybe 120 bucks I think...

After having it done for years, i did it myself last year. Its surprisingly easy to do and turned out great.

Figuring i would do more of them, i bought a grinder and a vaccuum sealer.

all in, it cost me just a bit more than having 1 deer done. This year it will cost me for vaccuum bags only.

the trick i found is to remove all fat and silverskin before packaging. Butchers normally don’t have the time to do that.

Venison isnt like beef, the fat breaks down and turns even in the freezer. 

p.s. Larry does a great job and his pepperettes are second to none.

• 1 month later...

If anyone is still looking for a game meat butcher in the niagara area, pm me.

I got a call yesterday from the fellow that used to do my deer and he’s back in business this year after being off for few because of health reasons.
Its nice to have another option again!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. I did my own last year for the first time. Like you said, it wasn’t that hard and all the info you need is on youtube.
also, By doing it myself i was able to take extra care removing all the fat and silverskin resulting in a better product.

Mind you, i wouldn’t want to do alot of them at one time, but doing one at a time is not difficult.

31 minutes ago, Markster said:

@Lundtastic, is that from this year? If so it looks like you got a good jump on filling the freezer!

Our best year was dividing up 3 moose among 6 hunters . Our freezers were full until next season

We had plenty of 'mooseburgs'  that the kids enjoyed !   

Does anyone eat the liver from deer as we did with moose ?