St. John’s Conservation Pond

LostLure

Trying to get the wife interested in occasionally joining me out fishing. Obviously I don’t want to take her to some of the bank spots I frequent, far too much climbing and clambering haha. 

The problem is, she’s expressed her lack of interest because she’s never caught anything (I could have told I her know people who consider themselves serious anglers who haven’t caught anything but a sunburn, but that seemed counter productive). A point I understand and can emphasize with. 

One place I frequent is fairly accessible, and you could spit on a hook and catch all the panfish around there. The other option being St. John’s, which is purposely build with accessibility and ease of fishing from the edge of the pond. 

Question to you people of experience, is St. John’s worth it, or over fished? I know that C&R pond fish are smarter than their wilder relatives, just by being caught so much, but is it somewhere that’ll be an easy introduction and hopefully inspire some interest?

I think St.John's pond will be choked solid with weeds after these hot summer days .  Any shallow spots will have plenty of weeds and some open spots to fish also . The Welland River and the old Rec.canal may produce some pannies as well as some bass.  (drop shot bottom fishing)

I frequent St Johns for quick trips after work around bass opener usually but pretty early in the summer it gets pretty sludged up and unfishable until fall.

Chippawa creek conservation area has a pond that’s is chocked full of bluegill and has docks similar to St Johns. The only downside there is you gotta pay to get in and it gets busy on the weekends.

Grew up a bike ride from St John's , when it first opened , guessing around 1962 , it was stocked with Brookies as were all the put and take ponds , think it was about '64 the put and take ponds changed over to Bows. Some Specs made it over winter cause there were some 14/15 inchers the 2nd year, doubt a Spec would last 5 minutes in what the pond had become today.