Drill / Battery

smerchly

I have been using my Dewalt 18V drill for an hour today ,using a 1/2" cement drill chipping away loose mortar using the bit on a 20* angle ...worked good .

The battery died so I put it on the charger & got the other battery  which was dead from sitting for months. It's a one hr. charger & it appeared to be charged after 30 min.

but the drill ran slow . I put the other 'dead' battery in the charger and it would only charge less than half . Something is not right .

Is it the the charger , batteries  or drill ? I have a few other drills with batteries that need to be tossed out , looks like this larger one is ready to join them . 

I ended up using my old reliable corded hammer drill to finish the job , just need another hour to finish the rest of the chalking .

But I'd like to know what happened to this drill ?  

....in the meatime I found this deal at C.T . I believe this 1/2 " drill can run a small ice auger since it's brushless , etc. Seems like a good buy for the money .

Dewalt Drill.JPG

Thanks Capt , i heard batteries lose their charge just sitting on the shelf and of course have limited charges . It seems a shame to toss out so many good drills , chargers and batteries since the batteries cost as much as most drills . I will fill a strong cardboard box with said items plus other 6 & 9 volt batteries and 'depleted' smoke detectors etc.,  and take them al to the dump where I hope they recycle most components .  There is something to be said about the old 'corded' technology  sometimes.

....got the new drill,,,very nice !   And it was $149.99 ....saved me $9.99 (every penny counts !  B)

I got rid of the box spring & mattress and both Van seats from the front lawn . People will take anything I toss out . Next item is the 40 year old one door fridge (still runs)

I made a dump run (not to the bathroom) ...and took many jugs of used oil and electronics . I had to go to the general weigh scale ramp for the electronics , maybe 15 lbs of stuff , but no charge , just waiting in long lines to get out of there . I have a bunch of 8 tracks too but they can go into our regular garbage ....

On the way out I decided to check out a spring carp spot to check for weed growth in the shallow water .....very few weeds & very fishable !  

And  as usual , the garbage people left a lot of trash near the bank .....

This drives me whacko !   People come to fish , bring food & leave a nice bag of crap hanging in a tree . Who do they think will take it away ?

garbage.JPG

44 minutes ago, smerchly said:

I got rid of the box spring & mattress and both Van seats from the front lawn . People will take anything I toss out . Next item is the 40 year old one door fridge (still runs)

I made a dump run (not to the bathroom) ...and took many jugs of used oil and electronics . I had to go to the general weigh scale ramp for the electronics , maybe 15 lbs of stuff , but no charge , just waiting in long lines to get out of there . I have a bunch of 8 tracks too but they can go into our regular garbage ....

On the way out I decided to check out a spring carp spot to check for weed growth in the shallow water .....very few weeds & very fishable !  

And  as usual , the garbage people left a lot of trash near the bank .....

This drives me whacko !   People come to fish , bring food & leave a nice bag of crap hanging in a tree . Who do they think will take it away ?

garbage.JPG

They think you will take it away smerch. Didn’t bring any rods with you?

2 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

They think you will take it away smerch. Didn’t bring any rods with you?

If I had caught a few worms last night I would have wet a line . It was too cool last night & I only saw a few . I should have asked the Avondale lady if they had worms when I picked up milk today . Nice days ahead , I need to get out there .....   :Gonefishing:

You came very close to winning , only a pound away !  I hope the floating weeds/algea is gone from Jordan , carp should be puttin on the beef soon .

I'm still using an old 14.4 volt Mastercrap that I got before I retired, that was in 2008, it is at least 15 years old , uses NiCad pacs it is that old, Does the odd jobs I need it for.  

same one on Kiijiji LOL

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/winnipeg/mastercraft-maximum-14-4v-drill-kit-cheap/1636408022?undefined

• 4 weeks later...

RIGID products lifetime warranty is great for that. Had the same 18V drill/driver for like 15-20 years. Been through a few sets of batteries and a chuck all replaced free by them. Saves throwing away other perfectly good tools. Not sure if they still offer the free batteries for life these days on new purchases

I use a 20V dewalt to power my ice auger but I found you have to have at least a 4 ah battery and preferably two of them to be able to drill more than a few holes. The size of the auger affects the number of holes you can drill and it is recommended that you should use a "chipper" blade on the auger as well.

4 hours ago, coyotehunter said:

I use a 20V dewalt to power my ice auger but I found you have to have at least a 4 ah battery and preferably two of them to be able to drill more than a few holes. The size of the auger affects the number of holes you can drill and it is recommended that you should use a "chipper" blade on the auger as well.

What’s a chipper blade? I might convert to a battery operated auger this season

On 10/12/2022 at 10:15 AM, smerchly said:

I tossed my 14 v out with the other ones Dave . It still charged but not fully charged .

My very old "plug in" drills still work fine after 20+ years . "Instant chargeing time"   B)

I got a 3/8 inch Skil brand plugin that I got when I did the interior of my '79 GMC van, it must be over 40 and still works well

Just now, dave524 said:

I got a 3/8 inch Skil brand plugin that I got when I did the interior of my '79 GMC van, it must be over 40 and still works well

Like many of my "appliances" , both inside & outside , they made thing to last wayyyy back in the 'old days'  I had a lawn sweeper which picked up leaves , for about 25 yrs .,and it was used then ,made of metal with very sturdy brushes...the one I have now is a piece of plastic crap with a thin plastic bag to collesct the leaves . My 29" Craftsman snow blower is about 40 , as was my old Lennox furnace , Woods freezer & the old fridge sitting outside . My 27" Hitachi tube TV is 35 years old & still going strong .

And my 'old' Chevy  Astro van is pushing 25 years on the road & is still like new .

They make things today with cheap materials that will breakdown much quicker . That keeps the factories (in China) rolling & the governments happy collecting the multible taxes from each product .....and it keeps our dumps nicely filled with all the $hite we bury . I'm happy to say my Stradic 4000 is still catching fish after 25 years .  :Gonefishing:

On the plus sde , it keeps us working .....

Hey Dave ....do you remember putting a BIG block of ice in the "fridge" to keep the milk cold ??  

I do  !    B)  

From one chat room. It depends on what kind of ice you fish

Why.do.I.use.Jiffy.chippers?

1-Easily.maintained.
(Most.users.can.easily.sharpen.their.own.cutting.surfaces.quickly..
blades.often.last.years.&.years)

2-Far.less.icing.issues.with.chippers.
(Less.blade.surface.area..less.area.to.ice-up)

3-Works.well.in.soft.ice(old.Ice),or.hard.ice(new.ice).
(Chippers.chew.through.anything.if.well.maintained.)

4-Chippers.open.old.holes.better.the.shavers.
(The.Jiffy.Stealth.is.the.best.there.is.at.reopening.old.holes..
almost.any.chipper.will.do.this.better.then.a.shaver.system.)

See the source image       51wZ+KAhZAL._AC_SL1000_.jpg