Coyote issues

Darryl L

I know someone who had horses ...one got attacked....no choice but to take matters into their own hands.....and for that matter tried to find help for the problem....can't get em during the day 🤔...ended up roasting 9 of them on the fire the very next night!....don't get me wrong I'm conservationist at heart......was a trustee for a conservation club years back...volunteered for a super successful walleye stocking project...ect... something certainly has to be done about the rampant coydogwolf hybrid population around the whole Niagara region.... hybrid from the wolves that wondered down to Niagara along the Bruce trail years back mixed with the local coyote population and then intermingle that with the domestic dogs they kidnapped along the way......and there you go....a super size predictor that has no natural fear of urbanization and humans anymore 

I was shaving one morning in the bathroom and I saw these guys outside . The thing is I opened the bedroom door and stepped out and the coyote had no fear whatsoever . It just stood there looking at me . I fired a .22 of into the bush to scare them away ,but just a couple of minutes later they where back .if I had let the pups out without supervision I would probably have lost them .

Coyotes are mainly a problem because of several factors:

• The only predator locally is man....but we are destroying the habitat where they have prey and you cannot hunt them in a lot of areas. Bad evil hunters with guns
  • They are omnivores and will eat anything including your pets and their food if you leave it outside
  • They will hang around humans if they do not have a reason to fear them (refer to item 1)
  • They are fixation predators. Once they focus on a prey, they stay on it until they get it or are thoroughly discouraged, preferably with a gun. Once incident I read about was a two year old toddler that was attacked when the mother went in the house for a moment for another load of clothes to hang up outside. She came out when she heard the screams. The coyote had hold of the child until she beat it off. Subsequent investigation revealed that the coyote had laid up in a hedgerow just off the back yard. Several beds suggested the it had lain there for several days until opportunity presented itself. When it was tracked down and killed it proved to be a healthy animal.
  • Too many people subscribe to Bambi syndrome....all the furry creatures are friends with each other. There was a town hall meeting years ago in Niagara on the Lake because coyotes had been seen downtown and in suburban areas. Seeing as we had hunted coyotes in that area one of our gang attended the meeting. One old farmer stood up and described how he had lost sheep to the critters. A woman stood up and said why don't we give them vasectomies to control them. The old farmer stood up and said "Lady they don't want to f#&k my sheep, they want to eat them!" Needless to say, my buddy ended up on the floor laughing.
  • They are smart survivors....all the Wile E. Coyotes are dead.

I have to admit the Coyote population in my area seems large . Last year I often picked up a three legged doe on my trail cameras . The left rear leg was missing from the elbow down. I have seen no signs of it this year and I purposely set more cameras in the area to try to spot it..

The rabbit population seems to be a lot less this year but more sightings on my trail cameras for coyotes.I own one .223 rifle apart from that only .22wmr  and 17 hmr  rifles that are too small a caliber to use humanely on Coyotes. It’s something to consider for the winter 

I watched this vid this morning about the father saving his child . The screams were scary !  He was quick to grab her and luckily she was wearing winter clothing . The second half of the vid was a lady fighting off a coon that may have rabies . The mother did a great job fighting off the coon before she tossed it & they both got the shots.

Maybe  us shore fishermen need to carry some kind of defence weapon in case a hungry yote wants a piece of my ham and cheese .....Bug spray won't cut it ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65jkSc4kddY&ab_channel=InsideEdition

PETA will have you in court. If you kill somebodies dog in defense of your child you have a better chance of being charged/sued than if you kill them in defense of your pet chicken because it's livestock

On 12/11/2022 at 2:27 AM, coyotehunter said:

PEETAH will have you in court. If you kill somebodies dog in defense of your child you have a better chance of being charged/sued than if you kill them in defense of your pet chicken because it's livestock

I haven't heard much about the pee-tah people since the woman was killed while trying to stop the truck from taking the pigs to the abbattoir . 

You can be sure these people who have lots of financial backing will support the gun laws . We are a small minority who hunt and fish .