B.Barn

smerchly

I raided the bulk barn today , looking to buy some more oats , etc. for carp fishing & noticed they had some new cereals , but still no corn puffs .

The prices have gone "nuts"on most items . The large oats went from 99 cents to 1.50 per lb.&  peanuts are almost double what they were pre-plan-demic . I buy the delux mixed nuts  and noticed they have added more almonds and less brazil ,macadania , walnuts ,and cashews since almonds are cheaper.  And anything mixed or salted is taxable . We are being gouged big time on our food prices .....need to shop very selectively now.

Last night I made some micro -popcorn , took a few pieces to see how they would work for carp bait  & immersed them in water . They instantly shrunk and turned to mush ! So much for the brain wave !  

My wife has Facebook and is part of a Costco group. F A lot of people are cancelling their memberships because there isn't a whole lot of savings compared to years past. The gas used to consistently be 10 to 15 cents a liter cheaper, now it's really only 2 or 3 cents less than the Husky near me. Costco had raised their prices far behind "regular inflation"

• 2 weeks later...

That is common Smerch, but scarier is what you don't notice.

Bags of chips are smaller in size, the old Family Size bag would fill my largest bowl, don't need that bowl now.  The hot chocolate we use at work, the manufacturer dropped the size of the packet down by 6 grams or so, price remained the same.  Individual jam packs for toast that restaurants buy, one company chanegd how it was packaged, so a few less packets per box, but price remains the same.  No different than if you were to grab a box of cookies or crackers and compare it to the size of what you got 20 years ago.

You can blame the corporations, but the end result is the blame is on the government (all of them, not just the current elected group of idiots) for allowing shareholders to drive corporate visions around not giving a f*ck about anything but a return on investment.  Our cellphone rates are insane compared to other countries, but our government buries their head in the sand on this one and allows the big companies to continue buying up the little ones (which they have the power to stop) leaving us with less selection and offerings from options away from the big boys.

Is it the same out west ? It seems they show more resistance to the Feds. these days . 

Some large companies like C.Tire lost money during the shut down & are making up for it big time while Wally made a killing !

I'm told milk will keep the 3 bags but only one liter in each bag instead of 4 liters we get now .

Have you seen the fishing tackle prices lately ?  Yep , insane !

I guess they figure we saved a lot of pesos the last 2 years , and people are spending it now . 

As I approach 80 ,  my memory still remembers the prices of that J-9  or 6" Rapala knife that has doubled in price !

And I spend much less now than 3+ years ago .....  

9 minutes ago, dave524 said:

I watched the price of the canned dog food at Costco go from $28.95 for 24 cans to $32.95 to $38.95 and finally last week $42.95 all in a little over a year

I’ve started stocking up on things I use everyday at work that eventually wear out or break. Prices will only go up they never come  back down. 

Chicken legs are now priced like sirloin steak !  I might be trapping some squirrels soon (nutty flavour) . We have plenty of them here !

Lube up Jack....help Loblaws make another 2 billion in profits .......  

We WILL be eating some fresh pike next week !  (thinking positive)  :angry:

10 hours ago, smerchly said:

Chicken legs are now priced like sirloin steak !  I might be trapping some squirrels soon (nutty flavour) . We have plenty of them here !

Lube up Jack....help Loblaws make another 2 billion in profits .......  

We WILL be eating some fresh pike next week !  (thinking positive)  :angry:

At RCSS Tuesday they had a cooler , fresh whole chickens were $1.98 a pound and drumsticks were $3.49 a pound , thought it weird the drumsticks were so much, that price is usually for skinless thighs or breasts. Must be good money in cutting up chickens 🤣  edit: when are the grocers ever going metric with their advertising ? 

Chicken legs are about 50% bone so the actual price for the meat is double . I bought a 'kilo' of bacon for $13 (they can have the penny) and bacon is also half fat .

Sometimes we buy the rotisserie chickens , already cooked for us and very tasty !  We get 2 good meals each plus a nice chicken soup from the remainder .(flu medicine)

We also like the thighs with the skin on as it bastes and flavours the meat  while roasting but much better to buy the whole chicken . 

Oh yes ,about metric . They use both measures in sales , where it's to their advantage .....like flooring materials... selling by the square foot now instead of the square yard or meter ,  Most bacon was 500 grams for years ....now 375 gm . , like many other items they are shrinking quantities and that will increase the amount of packaging garbage . 

And don't buy whole fish ....unless you like fish head soup !  

Smerch there is all kind of deals out there, just have to watch for them. I buy my chicken thighs or whatever by the case, not the package and save lots of bucks.

Last week Big Reds had porterhouse steaks, (best type of steaks) on sale for UNDER $10.00 a pound, most other places near $18.00 Needless to say the Dans stocked up on those.

Deals will always be out there.

I used to get my bacon there  but the last 2 visits  the bacon was not the greatest ....fatty and poorly cut . 

I have been buying it at Walmart in the 1 kilo size , but still need to check for fat content . 

I like most of their other meats (kielbossa) & veggies ,and breads , and as you said , ya gotta know yer prices , quality and date of expiry . 

We like strawberries , and we found the frozen ones are far tastier than the imported "fresh" ones. 

Yep , ya gotta know yer stuff !   B) 

14 hours ago, dave524 said:

At RCSS Tuesday they had a cooler , fresh whole chickens were $1.98 a pound and drumsticks were $3.49 a pound , thought it weird the drumsticks were so much, that price is usually for skinless thighs or breasts. Must be good money in cutting up chickens 🤣  edit: when are the grocers ever going metric with their advertising ? 

I have a couple buddy's out near Goderich area that catch chickens and load trucks on the weekend...they make over 350$ cash in an 8 hour shift🤨...not sure that has anything to do with the inflation but ya it's ridiculous...I'm spending over 500$ a month with a family of 4 ....😕

When I was about 30 , we were on strike so me & my buddy got a job "pickin chickens" . We worked all night under red lights in 2" of 'manure' 

They paid us $7.50 per thousand .....we grabbed 7 at a time & took them to a door where they were dropped into large cages .

My bud got into a fight with the other 2 guys who were making fun of us ....Wrong Move,  as I saw one of them sliding past me on his back on the nice clean floor !

Their attitude changed after that as they needed the money too.

That was hard smelly work , but it put food on the table ....no free chickens to take home either !  A night to remember !

And.......  we used to go to Ricci's Tavern for wings every 3rd Fri. night for beer and wings . I would order 20 wings ....cost me @1.40...  took some home !

We have to shop more wisely for food now . some things are still cheap and nutricious , like oatmeal , potatoes , squash , cabbage , pasta ,bananas etc. 

Learn to make soups , stews from left overs .  My wife is a pro at making great meals from them .  

On 11/5/2022 at 8:32 PM, fishingking said:

I have a couple buddy's out near Goderich area that catch chickens and load trucks on the weekend...they make over 350$ cash in an 8 hour shift🤨...not sure that has anything to do with the inflation but ya it's ridiculous...I'm spending over 500$ a month with a family of 4 ....😕

I caught chickens in high school back in the 60's , at first we were getting $11 a thousand and at the end $14 a thousand. You could catch 2 to 3 thousand a night. maybe 5 hours work so $6 bucks a hour say, great money back then but it was a rough day in school the next day.