Jump to content

Good Bye Smerch Hut


smerchly
 Share

Recommended Posts

Sad day today as I dismembered my old 4 x 8 ice hut  that I built about 20 years ago . I saved much of the plywood and the skis are now on my sled I made recently.

It was heavy even though it was only 1/4" plywood , 1" strapping and a plastic tarp . It was roomy with a nice dry floor . I think my new pop up ice hut is nearly as heavy , but much more compact .  I had a large letter "S" on the hut  so some guys would know the smerch was there . I used some of the wood to make a tunnel off the deckOld Hut.JPG for the pup to pee under during the deep snow times since his legs are only 6" long...... genius !.  :bravo:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bet you that hut saw alot of fish....I guess you had to tear it down before the walls started talking...haha

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jwl1 said:

I bet you that hut saw alot of fish....I guess you had to tear it down before the walls started talking...haha

 Some good times in the old hut & the wind didn't move it much  &  some phone numbers on the walls Jack ...... 

 

Just now, Tyler0420 said:

My 3man flip over is fairly heavy but pulls pretty good with the metal sled my buddy made. I’d like to get a 1 man flip over for myself

Most of the weight on pop=ups is the steel frame .  I used my 1 man flip over a few times last winter . It needs to be anchored down well and the side flaps need to be covered well with snow or take a couple of 2 x 4 x 4' if no snow .  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

My 3man flip over is fairly heavy but pulls pretty good with the metal sled my buddy made. I’d like to get a 1 man flip over for myself

Tyler I sold my Clam Guide 2 man and bought the one man Scout and didn't have it long.

I went back to a 2 man Clam again. the one man doesn't have the width for 2 holes, heater and finder hole.

I found it didn't make much different in pulling, I made a flimsy smithy sled that helps pulling it.

I took out one of the seats from the 2 man.

But up to you bud, just a thought.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Fish Farmer said:

Tyler I sold my Clam Guide 2 man and bought the one man Scout and didn't have it long.

I went back to a 2 man Clam again. the one man doesn't have the width for 2 holes, heater and finder hole.

I found it didn't make much different in pulling, I made a flimsy smithy sled that helps pulling it.

I took out one of the seats from the 2 man.

But up to you bud, just a thought.

Hmmmm definitely worth a thought. Hate how they oversize the shelters. A three man is only a two man and a two man is only a one man and well the one man is useless. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Fish Farmer said:

the one man doesn't have the width for 2 holes, heater and finder hole

That is true .  My 1 man flip is not high enough for me at 5' 7" to stand . I drill 2 holes about 40" apart at both corners . I use it on nicer days when I want to drop the cover for some sun . And yes not much space for a heater , I was using those little cans of paste , like Sterno last year to get some heat .( got them at the Dollar Tree). Good idea to check out the inside measurments before buying especially if you are tall . My pop up floor is 7' x 7' inside with over 6' of head room  . 

 ..bought mine used , for $50 but I had to patch about 15 holes from mice damage and it is still going strong !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I use an Eskimo quick fish 3 and it takes me only a minute to set it up. I had a smaller one but prefer the extra room for two rods and an extra hole for the sonar. Lots of room for the heater and to stand and stretch. It’s nice to have the extra room if I want to invite a friend into a warm tent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, spikeattolah said:

Had a shack like that for a while. Lots of memories.

It became too much to haul around once the kiddies showed up though.

My 2 man Fribill is perfect.

I made it as light as possible .... 1/4" plywood  and 1 x 2 strapping  and a 1" x 8' center pole . The skis are now on my sled  with the same 4" x 4" cedar blocks .

It was only about 75 lbs.  and I could load lots of geat on top . It was easy to pop up but took a little time to fasten the tarp using large eye screws , and very comfy inside with the heat on. Pulling it up a hill was the killer !   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Fish Farmer said:

I bet your little dog loves you more Smerch after you made the tunnel now after the big snow fall👍😄

He had his first visit inside the tunnel today FF ...in and out ( claustrophobia ) The snow is way over his head in the snow but I think we could see his tail 

sticking out to find him !  He is just over 7 months now & a holy terror , full of p & v. !

Here he is coming out of his "tunnel" ...........and a shot of tonights deep fried pike with some "all dressed" crushed chips in the batter (nice touch ) 

 

 

dukes tunnel.JPG

pike meal.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We got close to a foot on the lawn with some larger drifts from the high winds today . 

and more high winds tomorrow . The old snowblower got a workout  today .....then back to summer next week .  ( which is good to wet the lines again )   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, smerchly said:

He had his first visit inside the tunnel today FF ...in and out ( claustrophobia ) The snow is way over his head in the snow but I think we could see his tail 

sticking out to find him !  He is just over 7 months now & a holy terror , full of p & v. !

Here he is coming out of his "tunnel" ...........and a shot of tonights deep fried pike with some "all dressed" crushed chips in the batter (nice touch ) 

 

 

 

pike meal.JPG

Geez Bill you know how to make a guy hungry.👍😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, smerchly said:

We got close to a foot on the lawn with some larger drifts from the high winds today . 

and more high winds tomorrow . The old snowblower got a workout  today .....then back to summer next week .  ( which is good to wet the lines again )   

Looks like a good dinner there Bill..may be time to try again soon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jwl1 said:

Looks like a good dinner there Bill..may be time to try again soon

I was just checking the weather out JW ....looks like the snow will go fast will mild temps and some rain this week .

Thinking about getting out soon.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/13/2022 at 8:17 PM, Tyler0420 said:

My 3man flip over is fairly heavy but pulls pretty good with the metal sled my buddy made. I’d like to get a 1 man flip over for myself

Currently looking at the Clam Kenai Pro Thermal. Looks like a decent set up. Apparently you don't have to extend the poles on this one like their other models.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...