Fuel for small engines

verado

Like many of you I have always used premium fuel in chainsaws, weed whacker, leaf blower, lawnmowers, snow blower etc. to negate the problems that ethanol can cause in equipment that is only used occasionally and stored for long periods. Recently I was made aware of a product that is really quite amazing. It is a gas substitute called Aspen. It was developed in Sweden for people whose job entails working with this type of equipment all day and as a result would develop headaches and nausea. My cousin uses it at his equipment shop and he says he sells a ton of it to landscapers, the city, region, hydro etc. It is extremely clean burning and there is no smell. He puts it in every small engine he sells. He showed me the inside of carburetors and fuel lines run on ordinary gas and they had a white residue buildup but with this stuff they were clean as a whistle and the rubber lines stayed flexible. Over the past couple months I tried it in my own chainsaw,weed eater and leaf blower.  They ran fine as before but what I noticed was that after sitting for days or weeks, they would start in 2 pulls. My two strokes always needed at least six to eight. The other big bonus is it has a shelf life of 5 years. At the end of the season you just shut it off, no draining the tank and lines or adding stabilizer, sea-foam etc. You can get it in straight gas or a 50:1 mix, I believe it is a 92 octane rating. The downside is it's about $40 a gallon but when you consider how little you use in some of this equipment, maybe it's not so bad. With ice fishing season just around the corner, I think it would be ideal in the augers. No gas smell on your, hands, clothes  or in your hut.

Just thought you might be interested, I am impressed. Wish I could afford to use it in my atv and boat

Merry Christmas everybody 

That sounds very promising Verado . the price per gallon seems very cheap as I paid $90 for a US gal. of Sea Foam . I  got 5 gal.of gas today & added 4 oz .of Sea Foam to the can before filling it ,then topped up the van's tank . So far I have had good luck with all my small engines , including the 50 hp Merc 4 stk.EFI . I do not winterize any of them ,but I fill all tanks to the brim and give each engine a couple pulls to keep the lines primed . The Merc starts up every spring just like the car, with no stalling . And I use cheap gas 87 octane .  The chain saw has always needed full choke and many pulls to fire up (new plug) 

I wonder if the Aspen has any similarities to Sea Foam using some of the same cleansing chemicals . I have enough S.F. to last another 5 years  ,but i'll be watching to see what others say about the Aspen for sure . Do you know how long this stuff has been selling here ?

And Merry Christmas to you too !

Sorry Smerch, I don't know anything about it. I was at my cousin's place and saw pallets of it sitting on the shop floor. He explained what it was and that he was totally sold on it so I decided to try some for myself. Never occurred to ask him how long he had been selling it.