Carport

Tyler0420

I cut this guys grass and this summer he asked me to build him a carport. I said “I have no experience doing this and have never built anything before”. He said “you’re a roofer you should be able to do it”. Lol I said “roofing and framing have nothing todo with each other but sure I’ll try it”. I said “it probably won’t be perfect but it should be pretty good.”

I have no experience doing this type of stuff but I work in new construction and watch people build stuff all day. I knew I could probably get it done and kinda wanted to push myself. 

digging the posts holes was an absolute nightmare.  (using 1 man auger) took around 11hrs to dig 8 10” holes 48”deep. 
it was rock after rock after boulder. I almost gave up right then and there. I don’t think I’ll ever drill another hole again unless it’s in ice, I’ll get it contracted out. 

the rest of it went up pretty good but not having the right tools (mostly good batteries) it took longer then I wanted it to.  I was also working my regular job then doing this in my free time hence why I haven’t posted any fishing reports but now it’s finally done and hopefully fishing very soon. 

Spring time it will get painted or metal depends what the guy decides. 79CD8187-10E2-47CB-8DCA-78E74F117863.jpegF070F07D-8080-4182-BB39-56CC02F8648D.jpeg4E7BF228-AF05-4222-985E-0A536A8F4A19.jpeg96953C41-07D2-4D9A-B2CC-2CB295EE0497.jpeg6700DE23-EE85-4D22-B6A7-F6F024427587.jpegC911E3A5-5D35-4D00-813B-C4B7A7F054CF.jpeg

That looks like a very nice job Tyler, you should be proud. You only learn by doing. In my day I built dozens of decks and fences and am well acquainted with the "one man auger". It's a one man as long as you're King Kong

Very nice work Tyler!!

One man hand augers sold today are crappy!  A few months ago I helped my son install a 20 ft section of fence to enclose a parking area beside his house.  Trying to drill post holes in rocky soil with the hand auger he bought was killing us.  I went home and dug out my grandfathers old post hole auger from the back of my shed, and it did the holes way easier than the new auger! Sometimes the oldies are WAY better!

You're right Genec, I have my grandfather's old auger as well and it does a great job. He also had one of those I think they were called clamshell diggers that was good in rocky soil. Slow but got the job done. I think the one Tyler is talking about is the one that I used to use.  It has a cart arrangement with the engine on it and a boom going to the auger. The nice thing was it had a reverse and I think it used hydraulics. You could drill very close to a house or wall but it was a female dog to maneuver around by yourself.

I have used my bro -in-laws very old hand auger a few times and it worked very well . It may be a home made job and it's still available if I need to drill some holes , but only 8 " in diameter . Great job Tyler !  That's a big carport .....does the roof have a slight angle for runoff ? 

The auger I used could cut small tree roots , similiar to this one .

post auger.JPG

2 hours ago, verado said:

You're right Genec, I have my grandfather's old auger as well and it does a great job. He also had one of those I think they were called clamshell diggers that was good in rocky soil. Slow but got the job done. I think the one Tyler is talking about is the one that I used to use.  It has a cart arrangement with the engine on it and a boom going to the auger. The nice thing was it had a reverse and I think it used hydraulics. You could drill very close to a house or wall but it was a female dog to maneuver around by yourself.

The auger I used was like an oversized ice fishing auger. Couldn’t use a two man or a tow behind because there wasn’t enough room to use it. Holes had to be close to the fence as possible. I smashed my knuckles many times when the auger would get jammed. Also got a nasty Charlie horse when the auger spun and smoked me in the leg. Would of been nice if it had reverse. First hole it got stuck in the clay. 

Just now, Tyler0420 said:

Ya forsure. I soon realized just let go of it instead of trying to hold on

It would toss me 20 feet or break both arms !   I saw a neighbour hire a tractor to drill the holes ,,,,,very fast and busted through some tree roots easily .

Why so many rocks on this property ?  Did he have some rough fill dumped there for the driveway ? 

Being your first building structure , you did a nice job .

I'm sure any future projects will be a piece of cake !   .....maybe I can get a quote on a 50' wood fence , 6 ' high.....?

57 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Why so many rocks on this property ?  Did he have some rough fill dumped there for the driveway ? 

Being your first building structure , you did a nice job .

I'm sure any future projects will be a piece of cake !   .....maybe I can get a quote on a 50' wood fence , 6 ' high.....?

Get someone to dig and set the posts and I’ll put it up for you. 
there’s always a ton of rock around houses from fill when they are built. Could be the ground type. The girl at the lumber yard  said good luck getting 4’ deep in Paris.