First Car

smerchly

I see lots of old cars going down my street , maybe on the way to car shows .....I bought my first car from a lot on Hartzel Rd. in 1960 .

It was a big 1950 Pontiac fastback ,  2 door , 6 cyl , standard shift . It cost $75 ....earned the money picking fruit in Niagara . 

It was a great car ... served me well until I moved up a notch to a 55 Chevy  .....then many more oldies after that !

50 Pontiac Streamliner.JPG

What years was the car Tyler ?  I had dozens of cars over my lifetime , even had a 57 Volkswagen with reversed rear wheels ....what a bomb !   

My first " car".. found this pic dating back to 1995 when my oldest daughter was like 1 years old....the bike is a 1972 Triumph Trident triple I bought in 1988 when I was 18 because at the time I thought it was way cooler than buying a car...hahaIMG_20230304_091852159.jpg

The car I  remember best was my first rag top . It was also my 'honeymoon' car I drove to Dwight  at the Lake of Bays (  Haystack Bay) . It was a big heavy "boat" and had no power steering .  And it wasn't bad on gas ....20 mph , 364 cu .in. & dynaflow tranny  (no shift feel),  & used leaded gas  lol .

1960 Buick LeSabre  .... ( drove it across Haystack Bay , 90 fow ) ...looking for lakers & ling ....nut job !

60 buick rag-t.JPG

33 minutes ago, smerchly said:

The car I  remember best was my first rag top . It was also my 'honeymoon' car I drove to Dwight  at the Lake of Bays (  Haystack Bay) . It was a big heavy "boat" and had no power steering .  And it wasn't bad on gas ....20 mph , 364 cu .in. & dynaflow tranny  (no shift feel),  & used leaded gas  lol .

60 buick rag-t.JPG

That thing is a boat

Most people want all the bells and whistles and are willing to pay for it . The dealers don't want people fixing their vehicles and they sure make big bucks from servicing the high tech ones . I still change my 97 vans oil and grease it.  I took my 06  G6 car in for a tire repair & of course they put it up on the hoist & said I need about a $1000 for brakes & front end "work" . I'll take it to to my honest mechanic in May or June.....

Imagine paying $75 grand for a loaded pickup truck today .....   and many can afford it . 

Many only have those overpriced vehicles because the banks were loose with financing criteria. Most likely truck poor. New and used are equally over prices as high as the interest rates. If your van isn't giving you trouble, best to keep it going. $1000 for brakes and front end work? That sound like a franchise price.

That work was for the G6 sedan . My mechanic gives us seniors a break on labour costs . It was Can.Tire that said there was "some" play in the tie rods & one inside brake pad wasn't contacting the rotor properly .  I have a 2 page estimate of the repairs . And on a $1000 repair bill the tax is another $130. 

My grandson just had a waterpump installed in his "new' 2003 BMW  there ....  $900 . ...brake job next ....  ouch !  

Franchised repairs are motivated to sell parts/labor for extra commission. They like to scare you with the worst case scenarios hoping you'll bite.

Best to stay loyal to your trusted mechanic who will also be more honest on what you need now and what could wait.

Just now, Port_D_Guy said:

Franchised repairs are motivated to sell parts/labor for extra commission. They like to scare you with the worst case scenarios hoping you'll bite.

Best to stay loyal to your trusted mechanic who will also be more honest on what you need now and what could wait.

My mechanic (Ken Cosgrove) grew up with cars as his father raced cars at Merritville Raceway . His garage is in Thorold  across the road from Thorold High School that I attended .  He is an excellent mechanic  and is a super nice guy .