Ontario kayak bass trail

Tyler0420

https://okbt.ca/2023-events/

anyone else fishing these tournaments this year?

I don’t fish bass really. Maybe 2-3 times a year just on the grand or up north if I make it. 
I’m going to fish this trail this season. I’m not looking to win or anything just gives me a reason to get out and you just never know what you’ll catch. It’s pretty hard to win tournaments nowadays unless you’re a diehard especially bass. 
I’ve never fished any of these lakes for bass in this year’s tournaments. 
1st lake nipissing, 2nd lake simcoe, 3rd balsam lake, 4th Georgian Bay (perry sound), 5th tri lakes (Chemong, Pigeon, Upper Buckhorn, Little and Big Bald Lakes)

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, roadrunner said:

How do these kayak tournaments work? Do you launch from anywhere or all together at the same place? Also is it paddle power only or are electric motors allowed? 

This tournament is all of lake nipissing. You can launch from anywhere that’s is open to the public. So no launching from someone’s private property. Everyone has to have to option to launch where you do. Can launch at 5:00am and lines in at 6:00am-3:00pm. No photos summited after 3:00pm.  It’s all done on a tournament app.  
I believe trolling motors are allowed but has to be on a kayak. I’m sure there’s guys running ipilots on their yaks. 

check out “tourney x pro” app. All events are on it with info. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, honeyv said:

Did you sign up for the Simcoe one?

Not yet but yes I will be. You have up until two days before to sign up. 
66 kayaks signed up so far for the 1st event. (Lake nipissing)

12 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Not yet but yes I will be. You have up until two days before to sign up. 
66 kayaks signed up so far for the 1st event. (Lake nipissing)

I anticipate more joiners closer to the date. I'm waiting to sign up for the Simcoe one because I want to see what the weather is doing first. but I AM getting the yak ready in the meantime.  

8 hours ago, honeyv said:

I anticipate more joiners closer to the date. I'm waiting to sign up for the Simcoe one because I want to see what the weather is doing first. but I AM getting the yak ready in the meantime.  

Ya I’m waiting to sign up to. My yak is ready just gotta set some rods up. 

• 2 weeks later...

I like the VMC products . I have been using the size 1 drop shot hooks for carp rigs for about 5 years . I now file off the barb after I hooked myself   :blush:

We used green/brown  salted tube jigs for Erie bass fishing ,many years ago and they worked very well . We drifted mosty while casting them from the boat . 

They also worked well in fast water like the 12 Mile but would  sometimes get hung up on the rough bottom . I still have some gathering dust in the basement .I believe the salt helps attract the fish & I have stuffed pieces of rock salt inside of them.

Good luck to everyone .

some tubes.....

Capture.JPG

2 hours ago, genec said:

A good arsenal of bass gear.

However, my all time favourite smallmouth lure on Lake Erie is a Rapala Shad Rap in Perch finish - maybe you should pick up one of those as well.

I’ll add them to the list

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

I like the VMC products . I have been using the size 1 drop shop hooks for carp rigs for about 5 years . I now file off the barb after I hooked myself   :blush:

We used green/brown  salted tube jigs for Erie bass fishing ,many years ago and they worked very well . We drifted mosty while casting them from the boat . 

They also worked well in fast water like the 12 Mile but would  sometimes get hung up on the rough bottom . I still have some gathering dust in the basement .I believe the salt helps attract the fish & I have stuffed pieces of rock salt inside of them.

Good luck to everyone .

some tubes.....

Capture.JPG

I’ll definitely have a rod set up with a tube on it. 

2 hours ago, genec said:

A good arsenal of bass gear.

However, my all time favourite smallmouth lure on Lake Erie is a Rapala Shad Rap in Perch finish - maybe you should pick up one of those as well.

June30-july3 I’ll be looking for some smallies. How is Erie for fishing them at that time?

My largest bass was caught at Rennie pond  using a night crawler rigged with 2 small hooks & a splitshot . It sank very slowly in 10-12 fow but didn't hit bottom when the 25" largemouth took it . Years (ages) ago we had access to catch dozens of soft shell crayfish ....bass loved them !   I have a jar of plastic crayfish that loos like the real McCoy that need a bath soon...  :Gonefishing:

10 minutes ago, smerchly said:

My largest bass was caught at Rennie pond  using a night crawler rigged with 2 small hooks & a splitshot . It sank very slowly in 10-12 fow but didn't hit bottom when the 25" largemouth took it . Years (ages) ago we had access to catch dozens of soft shell crayfish ....bass loved them !   I have a jar of plastic crayfish that loos like the real McCoy that need a bath soon...  :Gonefishing:

25”?????? Holy smokes that’s a biggin. I’ll have to try some crayfish bassin this year but no live/dead bait allowed in the tournaments. 

The bass put out a great fight on my 9' ultra light rod . It was a little on the thin side so that worm looked very tempting ....

The old Senkos , wacky rigged got some nice bass too !  

port largemouth.JPG

8 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

June30-july3 I’ll be looking for some smallies. How is Erie for fishing them at that time?

They will be moving into deeper water once the water warms up, but at the dates you posted they should still be shallower post spawn.

We fish the bay at Pt. Abino, and usually pick up a lot of bass trolling Shad Raps in the 12-15 foot depths for at least the first 2 weeks after opening day.  A lot of people will fish in shallower in the bay those weeks, but we always have more luck at the depth listed above.  Weed beds seem to be the key for us at those depths, as the bay is all sandy bottom.