Ontario kayak bass trail

Tyler0420

9 hours ago, Bubba14 said:

Keep warm fighting fish Tyler...good luck and stay safe!

Pretty annoyed. Found out I was fishing out of bounds after  2.5 hours and summiting two fish. Now I’m an hour away from where I can fish. 
my bad but I didn’t know there were boundaries. I didn’t see the map or read about it. I guess I should of know when I was the only one out there. Worst part it’s the north side of the lake we can fish so means I’m another hour away from home. 

IMG_3145.jpeg

IMG_3144.jpeg

7 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Pretty annoyed. Found out I was fishing out of bounds after  2.5 hours and summiting two fish. Now I’m an hour away from where I can fish. 
my bad but I didn’t know there were boundaries. I didn’t see the map or read about it. I guess I should of know when I was the only one out there. Worst part it’s the north side of the lake we can fish so means I’m another hour away from home. 

IMG_3145.jpeg

IMG_3144.jpeg

Nice fish! Has the weather calmed at all? How are you ranking so far?  

18 hours ago, honeyv said:

Nice fish! Has the weather calmed at all? How are you ranking so far?  

So after finding out I was fishing the wrong area I drove to the north/west side of the lake. At that time the rain was coming down hard. The two launches I went to were shity and I said eff it I’m done. I’m going home. I found a river spot the night before and decided I’m going there for a nap before heading home. Shut my eyes for a min and said I didn’t come here to sleep so I got the yak back out on the water and it was no disappointment. I fished a river where it dumps into nipissing. Started fishing some fallen tree spots and was hooking up with smallies. Landed a few and lost a bunch. Stupid weed guard on the wacky hook was not letting me get a good hook set. Made it to the mouth and had a pike follow my square bill crank bait in. Cast it back out and bam a 30” pike in hales my bait and end up having to keep the fish. Gave it to a kid fishing on the dock when I went back in but before that I was trolling the same bait from the lake just into the mouth and bam another fish. 20” walleye. Had to let it go(over slot size). Went back up river and lost a bunch more bass and decided to cut the weed guard off my wacky rig and started landing fish.  Next a nice fat 32” pike on the wacky rig. A couple more bass and that was my day. 

so ya the tournament was a bust but ended up saving the day and landed more fish this afternoon then the last two years put together. 
next month balsam lake and I’ll give it a try again. 
Oh and got to work on skipping baits under fallen trees👍

IMG_3137.jpeg

IMG_3152.jpeg

IMG_3153.jpeg

IMG_3155.jpeg

IMG_3156.jpeg

IMG_3158.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

So after finding out I was fishing the wrong area I drove to the north/west side of the lake. At that time the rain was coming down hard. The two launches I went to were shity and I said eff it I’m done. I’m going home. I found a river spot the night before and decided I’m going there for a nap before heading home. Shut my eyes for a min and said I didn’t come here to sleep so I got the yak back out on the water and it was no disappointment. I fished the Lavase river where it dumps into nipissing (just north of callander bay). Started fishing some fallen tree spots and was hooking up with smallies. Landed a few and lost a bunch. Stupid weed guard on the wacky hook was not letting me get a good hook set. Made it to the mouth and had a pike follow my square bill crank bait in. Cast it back out and bam a 30” pike in hales my bait and end up having to keep the fish. Gave it to a kid fishing on the dock when I went back in but before that I was trolling the same bait from the lake just into the mouth and bam another fish. 20” walleye. Had to let it go(over slot size). Went back up river and lost a bunch more bass and decided to cut the weed guard off my wacky rig and started landing fish.  Next a nice fat 32” pike on the wacky rig. A couple more bass and that was my day. 

so ya the tournament was a bust but ended up saving the day and landed more fish this afternoon then the last two years put together. 
next month balsam lake and I’ll give it a try again. 
Oh and got to work on skipping baits under fallen trees👍

IMG_3137.jpeg

IMG_3152.jpeg

IMG_3153.jpeg

IMG_3155.jpeg

IMG_3156.jpeg

IMG_3158.jpeg

My brother was telling me all he got was pike and walleye LOL but a hard day fishing and he said the rain was brutal. 

9 minutes ago, honeyv said:

My brother was telling me all he got was pike and walleye LOL but a hard day fishing and he said the rain was brutal. 

I bought some rain gear that worked pretty good. 
here’s the top finishes 

IMG_3159.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Bubba14 said:

Really glad for you that it wasn't a wasted trip and that you kept busy with the fish!

I couldn’t believe how it turned out. I was pumped by the end of the day. 

12 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

I bought some rain gear that worked pretty good. 
here’s the top finishes 

IMG_3159.jpeg

Nice! If you have proper rain gear and you're staying dry then you are already winning haha

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2023 at 11:54 AM, Tyler0420 said:

June 17 balsam lake tourney. Anyone wanna join me?

144 anglers registered so far. Looking forward to Saturday. Still not sure where I’m going to fish. I’m going up Friday to scout around. 

anyone have any intel on good bass areas and launches?

8 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

144 anglers registered so far. Looking forward to Saturday. Still not sure where I’m going to fish. I’m going up Friday to scout around. 

anyone have any intel on good bass areas and launches?

Use as a guide. I'm sure many eyes have been on it already. 

Balsam Lake, Ontario | Angler's Atlas (anglersatlas.com)

Fished balsam Saturday. Started out good landed two fish early including a 17.5” largie on topwater. After that couldn’t find any fish and the winds were gusting 30km/h. Tried dragging tubes but didn’t have any jig heads/weights heavy enough to fish bottom properly. Called it a day around noon. I wanted to crack the top 100 and I did!!!! Placed 99th hahaha. 

IMG_3236.jpeg

IMG_3244.jpeg

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

Fished balsam Saturday. Started out good landed two fish early including a 17.5” largie on topwater. After that couldn’t find any fish and the winds were gusting 30km/h. Tried dragging tubes but didn’t have any jig heads/weights heavy enough to fish bottom properly. Called it a day around noon. I wanted to crack the top 100 and I did!!!! Placed 99th hahaha. 

IMG_3236.jpeg

IMG_3244.jpeg

Well done.

Nice largemouth Ty.   Congrats on placing under the 100 mark .

Dam wind can be a paininthebutt from shore too ....very breezy east winds here now .  Too bad you didn't have some 1 oz.egg sinkers in your bag .

4 hours ago, smerchly said:

Nice largemouth Ty.   Congrats on placing under the 100 mark .

Dam wind can be a paininthebutt from shore too ....very breezy east winds here now .  Too bad you didn't have some 1 oz.egg sinkers in your bag .

I’ll have to add some heavier weights to my collection. 

next on the trail is Lake simcoe in July. 

Tubes fished off a drop shot rig can be deadly too if you had a heavy enough dropper weight. I fish them that style for both bass and Lakers in the currents of Niagara River. Also snags up less on snaggy, rocky areas like lower river

35 minutes ago, steellee said:

Tubes fished off a drop shot rig can be deadly too if you had a heavy enough dropper weight. I fish them that style for both bass and Lakers in the currents of Niagara River. Also snags up less on snaggy, rocky areas like lower river

Thanks for the tip. I’ll definitely grab some heavier stuff for when the wind picks up. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/20/2023 at 1:33 PM, steellee said:

I have used tubes ( crayfish colour) from the end of the piers at Port Dal.where the current is strong . I think there was about 1/2 oz.of lead inside them and the bass went for them . I'm not sure how much the salt helps .....

BTW ...TYLER ...is your mail box full ?