Trout opener

Tyler0420

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking it was last Saturday in April not 4th the way things landed this year. Around noon figured it out and grabbed my float rod and headed out into the pouring rain.Hit up a small Erie trib close by with a modest run of steelhead. Nice only seeing 2 others in the couple hours I fished before getting pretty much rained out. Never thought much of them but the Berkley 3"pink worms with a bead have been hot for me going back to last spring and were bait of choice today

IMG_20230422_115211_116.jpg

IMG_20230316_190336_729.jpg

20230110_134331.jpg

3 hours ago, steellee said:

I was thinking it was last Saturday in April not 4th the way things landed this year. Around noon figured it out and grabbed my float rod and headed out into the pouring rain.Hit up a small Erie trib close by with a modest run of steelhead. Nice only seeing 2 others in the couple hours I fished before getting pretty much rained out. Never thought much of them but the Berkley 3"pink worms with a bead have been hot for me going back to last spring and were bait of choice today

IMG_20230422_115211_116.jpg

IMG_20230316_190336_729.jpg

20230110_134331.jpg

Do you wacky rig the worm or thread it on the hook?

Nice catches

I find it best just lightly hooked through the fat section on a small sac hook so kind of in between. Than I can switch between baits easily as well. One from past trip this year you can see in photo kind of... A lot throw the plastics during fight as I hook it so lightly.

IMG_20230419_143855_480.jpg

3 hours ago, steellee said:

I find it best just lightly hooked through the fat section on a small sac hook so kind of in between. Than I can switch between baits easily as well. One from past trip this year you can see in photo kind of... A lot throw the plastics during fight as I hook it so lightly.

IMG_20230419_143855_480.jpg

Nice fish. Love using that set up

Fished Nottawa yesterday and today. Weather on Tuesday was cloud with sporadic rain,sleet and cold. Fish have all pushed out. Today was a bit warmer and sunnier. The run was done well before opener this year. A few drop backs were caught. I guess this is a good sign, the fish did what they do and flushed out.  Anyways always a good time with the boys. 

9 hours ago, steelshady said:

Two good friends fished the "Geen" on Monday and Tuesday at the dam, was loaded with drop backs, not one fresh fish.

Ya I have been hearing that on most Huron tribs the fish being done and gone or on there way out. I've been out at my local Erie trib here almost every day and am still seeing some spitting roe! Can usually get fish on this particular trib right up until May 24 weekend if you can keep the OOS bass off

Been fishing the pool every week, this has been my worse year fishing the river as fishing has been tough.  No fish at the pool, last year and previous years the pool has been loaded with fish, I think all the fish have spawn in February and are back in the lake lol.  

Pool 1.jpg

Pool 3.jpg