Jordan Harbour Curiousity

Port_D_Guy

The park there is supposed to open in May. Fair enough. At same time Lakeside Park pay parking begins.

What I was wondering about the waters of JH south of QEW, was the depth on the water, say up to the train bridge.

I'm sure there is a deeper channel that would meander its way up. I know most of it is 3 - 4 ft deep. I'm sure there are some

deeper spots, maybe 10 ft towards the train bridge. 

Anybody ever run their watercraft with a fish finder just out of curiosity or to find where those big catfish swim?

There's some deeper spots about 6+ feet at the east side channel going to the Bailey bridge. We used to bank fish for perch there .(behind the cemetery). 

Water was very muddy last week. 

Once the weeds and pads start to show there are lots of carp splashing around in June.

I'll bet the bass are there, but around shoreline cover.

I'm sure the catfish would like cover as well. I normally catch bullheads close to shore there.

I wonder how many times a bass fisherman would latch onto a channel cat with a jig 'n pig or scented weedless tube.

Over many decades a lot of farmland runoff has passed down the 20 Mile Creek and brought forthtons of silt into the harbour . There is still a good variety of fish but the bass fishing is not near what it was "back in the day". Now I see more catfish ,drum , carp and sometimes a good run of gizzard shad . There is the odd pike ,perch bowfin and as the sign says , watch out for grass carp . I remember Campbells  Marina well when we rented the heavy flat bottom steel boats with 2 oar power !  Fun times .

Is this map updated ?  From my boat/canoe experience, I didn't find some of those 9 ft. depths . How accurate are depth finders when the bottom is very silty . There is deep water near the channel at the qew bridge but I don't see it marked that deep there ?  We are expecting a lot more rain this week and  I  wonder how much silt runs into Lake Ont. when there's a heavy runoff ? Does that help clean out the harbour ?  We may not like the rains but it's good for the fish to reach their spawing areas.  

Oh boy, the only time I fished within the Harbour was through the ice back in the late 70's and early 80's, it was at the time an awesome Perch fishery, plenty of true Jumbo's were to be had. The good ole days as they say.  ;)

A late friend of mine used to fish it often back then for Largie's, he had 7lber he caught there mounted by Joe Martin, it was a tank.

We had great perch fishing then Spiel . I have a  mounted 14" perch from that spot which was just around the first point heading toward the trestle.

My ice spud is probably still there after it slipped from my sons hand ...a big magnet may find it but it may be under a foot of mud now.

I marked the general area where many guys caught the perch ..... The last fish I caught through the ice was a 3 lb. bow., the only fish of the day.

Jordan ice perch.jpg

4 hours ago, smerchly said:

Is this map updated ?  From my boat/canoe experience, I didn't find some of those 9 ft. depths

it's possible it was mapped when water levels were higher or lower

Places like this are not actually 1 foot but rather they did not map the area so they put it as 1 foot

image.pngimage.png

I never thought about the high water times .... that could easily add 2 ft. to the water depth chart . I remember walking through the conservation parks building where the water was 6" up my boots and carp were basking in the parking lot . 

been a few years since I was last out in a boat there.   There is a lot more mud flat than most realize.  Many have been stuck and stranded to await rescue in the harbour over the years.  This year will not be a bad year as a high water spring.   In other years those areas marked as 2'  were more likely 6".  The back channel upstream of the rail bridge averages 5' to 6'.

12 hours ago, Lukefish99 said:

it's possible it was mapped when water levels were higher or lower

Places like this are not actually 1 foot but rather they did not map the area so they put it as 1 foot.

Or just dominated by cattails bulrushes.