Tick Warning

rab546

Hey everyone, I just wanted to give a heads up that ticks seem to be especially plentiful this year. While I don't remember it being this bad in the past, recent years have made me more cautious. Yesterday, when I was at Beaverdams Road, I found multiple ticks on my clothes. Earlier this week, I went for a walk by the water at both Jordan Harbor and Charles Daley Park and discovered two ticks on me - one on the back of my neck and one on my ankle.

I'm curious to know what others are doing to avoid ticks. Are you just using DEET to keep them away?

Huge 'clouds' of gnats will soon be at the lake front . At least they don'r bite. A cheap head net  keeps them away from the eyes and ears.

Ticks are sneaky and you need to check every inch of your body when you return home. I had 3 ticks on me during my first trip through tall grass in less than 3 minutes.

I think this will be a bad year for them .

2 hours ago, genec said:

Bill, you gotta get the Ultra Shield from Peavy Mart!

I’ve been out in the bush turkey hunting 4 times this week (no luck yet), and not a single tick.

I have some from Peavy , but want to be very careful not to get it on my skin. . Even the Woods tick spray is very strong and burns my eyes when applying itwhen there's some wind at the fishing site . The Ultra Shield has a strong citronella scent and I want to use it prperly and sparingly.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=b2e15084111da387JmltdHM9MTY4MjY0MDAwMCZpZ3VpZD0yODhkNmIzZC02Y2U3LTZiNmMtMGNhZS03OWQ2NmQ0ZDZhMWImaW5zaWQ9NTIwNQ&ptn=3&hsh=3&fclid=288d6b3d-6ce7-6b6c-0cae-79d66d4d6a1b&psq=where+does+permethrin+come+from&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly9lbi53aWtpcGVkaWEub3JnL3dpa2kvUGVybWV0aHJpbg&ntb=1

Permethrin is the key ingredient in Ultrashield. It is not  a concentrate. Despite what the link above says you should not get it on your skin, i.e. spray it on like DEET. Apply it to your clothing/boots/shoes and let dry.

They say it kills bees which is not a good thing . Some farms lost millions of bees caused by mites and other factors . I remember when they banned the use of sevin (carbaryl) which killed honey bees . We live in a chemical age where bread and milk will keep "fresh" for a decade ...... 

How safe is sun screen lotion since our skin absorbs everything.....?   

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

How safe is sun screen lotion since our skin absorbs everything.....?   

My skin is fine and I work out in the sun. I don’t wear sun screen.
Get cancer from the sun or get cancer from the chemicals our bodies absorb. Lose lose battle. 

It's a losing battle . New drugs being sold everyday , and our food chain from farm to Loblaws has chems added to produce perfect specimens..

I had skin cancer on my beak and it wasn't fun taking a piece of my ear off and grafting it on the nose .

So I use some sun screen on my face now ,but who knows if it helps .....and I wear a Tilly hat which keeps the sun from my ears . 

Be careful and check yourself out often . 

Just now, marktheperchman said:

But how old are you?

"They" say much of the damage is done when you are young . I spent many days at the beach as a teen and many more days on the bank/boat with a fishing pole in hand . It took many years to develope skin cancer but I know a few much younger people who have had treatments for spots mostly on their scalp and face , I think it all depends on our bodies immune system ....like smoking ,  some get cancer of the lungs ect. in their 40's while others live much longer. It's a game of chance......

1 hour ago, marktheperchman said:

But how old are you?

I know I won’t see the damage until I’m 60 or later but it’s the same with chemicals that our body absorbs. One day you end up with cancer and no one knows why.  
eating fast food will kill you before the sun will  

4 hours ago, Loonietoon1 said:

No fun Fishing Season

Get well soon ,  they have better treatments now .  Hopefully the new treatments my sister is receiving for her lung cancer will give her more time since they gave her 6 months to live (2 months ago) . And remember lyme disease from ticks can also take your life . I still have a cold (cough & lots of kleenex )

9 minutes ago, Bubba14 said:

Your skin is your largest organ, take care of it. Trust me, having liquid nitrogen "burn" potential pre-cancerous spots off your skin every six months doesn't tickle.

I have been zapped a few times and it leaves a white patch on the skin . I hope the extra protection from the Tilley hats help keep my scalp clear .

Just looked this up .....

Tiley Hats.JPG

Reading the British news today , they have a serious tick problem too . As mentioned ,a mild winter has good and bad effects . Looking at my back yard I see the dandlelions popping up everywhere (no winter seed kill-off ) ? It remains to be seen what other results happen from the very mild (no ice) winter here . It looks good for the fish spawning with heavy runoffs ....a bonus for us anglers ?   

England Lyme.JPG

On 5/3/2023 at 9:17 AM, Loonietoon1 said:

January Got hit with a baseball bat (so to Speak) Blood Clot in the Lungs... 3 weeks ago Cancerous Tumor in the Bladder Tumor Remover now got to go back in to have the area scraped and then 6 weeks of treatment. No fun Fishing Season

I am so sorry to hear that my friend. You focus on getting yourself well.

On 4/29/2023 at 3:02 AM, coyotehunter said:

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=b2e15084111da387JmltdHM9MTY4MjY0MDAwMCZpZ3VpZD0yODhkNmIzZC02Y2U3LTZiNmMtMGNhZS03OWQ2NmQ0ZDZhMWImaW5zaWQ9NTIwNQ&ptn=3&hsh=3&fclid=288d6b3d-6ce7-6b6c-0cae-79d66d4d6a1b&psq=where+does+permethrin+come+from&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly9lbi53aWtpcGVkaWEub3JnL3dpa2kvUGVybWV0aHJpbg&ntb=1

Permethrin is the key ingredient in Ultrashield. It is not  a concentrate. Despite what the link above says you should not get it on your skin, i.e. spray it on like DEET. Apply it to your clothing/boots/shoes and let dry.

Permethrin is the active ingredient in most household INSECT KILLERS....We are now recommending horse and pony bug spray on humans?

When I use a Permethrin product on bugs they melt and die!!!!

Protection against flies, mosquitoes, ticks and gnats. Quick knockdown and repellency. Weatherproof and sweat resistant formula. Multiple sunscreens and coat conditioners. Can be used on horses, ponies and as a premise spray.

Very sorry to hear about your challenge Loonietoon...