Van troubles

smerchly

Last June I had my vans air recharged but it only lasted a couple of weeks ...took it back & they installed a rebuilt unit ( $1000.) It only lasted until Oct .so I decied to wait until this spring to have them check it out . I just got back from walking 25 minutes to get back home & they called me to say the rebuilt unit needs replacing , but it is covered by warranty but not the $550 labour plus tax. I have put  about 1500 km. on my van in a year .  Maybe I should have went to a A.C. shop and had a new unit installed . I will not have my van back till "about" 4 pm.  I hope it lasts for this summer at least ....

Just now, Tyler0420 said:

Atleast the rebuild was under warranty still. I just said screw it and cruise with the windows down. 

I remember those days when we rolled down the windows . there's 10 times the traffic now so that's not an option . If this unit fails I will pass on taking my vehicles to C.T. for anything . I will opt for a new unit from GM and it would cost as much as the van is worth . 

They just called ....van is done ....fingers crossed !    

I have a great mechanic in Thorold (Ken Cosgrove) who's Dad raced cars at Merritville race track but they may not be as fully equipped as an A.C.shop .

The rebuild they installed last June did not blow cold air as expected but it cooled enough to keep us more comfortable . It probably was not up to par , maybe weak seals ,ect . This  unit is blowing nice and cold , hopefully it will last a few years .

And when I was paying the bill , my Mastercard wouldn't work !  He tried punching in the numbers but no go , so I used my debit card, thus losing my points  . Technology is wonderful !   I called mastercard but couldn't understand what the little lady was saying on the "auto" mated service .  Technology at ite finest !  It is a "credit" card , maybe time to give it a trim with the sissors......

On 4/29/2023 at 5:03 PM, Port_D_Guy said:

I wouldn't trust any box store mechanics in general. Best to make good with an independent one. They'll do more to keep you as a loyal customer.

Problem with a lot of our good independents is they are booked solid weeks in advance, like Cosgroves or Kenirys

10 hours ago, bigugli said:

Problem with a lot of our good independents is they are booked solid weeks in advance, like Cosgroves or Kenirys

I was going to smaller shops but when my truck breaks I need it fixed same day or the next day. Small chops are like ya we can look at it next week. 

I busted a brake line in Napanee about 6 years ago .... needed it fixed as quickly as possible while we were at our trailer park . 

C.T. had it done 4 hrs later and did a great job . It depends on the mechanic and his knowledge . When I go to my mechanic in Thorold I usually have to leave my vehicle overnight which means two trips with the other car , but the job has always been done properly . He also gives seniors a cheaper rate for labour and sometimes will offer to get used parts to bring the costs down ( like a used tranny) . 

One time C.T. was late fixing my old van and we needed to get our BIG Rotti to the Boon Docks Kennel for a weeks stay . They called a cab and  picked him up at my home and took him there ,about 6 -7 kms and paid for the cab , then dropped me off at CT .  That was many years ago , a great customer service deed that I remember well . 

In this case I feel they installed a defective part last June which cost me $500 labour to replace . Should I pay for the labour ?