Canal pike

honeyv

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

What bait?

Just a simple Jointed Rapala. Minnow color. I was trying with a bucktail, for a bit, but they were liking the slower presentation better I guess. 

1 hour ago, Port_D_Guy said:

Tough to avoid bass in pike water.

I never intentionally fish for bass.

I just let them shake off

Damn right it is! They hit the same lures for the most part.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice going on the pike !  The bass will hit anything that may threaten their territory . And I have seen guys targeting oos bass using spinner baits but say they are after pike which will hit the spinners too . Most bass anglers release their catches so no harm done . At one time the gobies would move in and eat the bass roe but we now know the bass are eating the gobies and putting on the beef .

16 hours ago, smerchly said:

Nice going on the pike !  The bass will hit anything that may threaten their territory . And I have seen guys targeting oos bass using spinner baits but say they are after pike which will hit the spinners too . Most bass anglers release their catches so no harm done . At one time the gobies would move in and eat the bass roe but we now know the bass are eating the gobies and putting on the beef .

Thanks! I'm thinking of heading out on the Canal again Wednesday to see what the pike are sayin'. 

In regards to the bass, that's a hard one to navigate sometimes. They hit the same baits that I use for pike and those spinners have caught me a lot of pike in the past. I'd even say they are as reliable as bucktails for pike. The bass are just too aggressive around pike opener... and you'll always have an oops catch while chasing after pike. I just give em a real quick release though.    

My daughter  was watching the bass from their dock yesterday . The shallow bay is filling with weeds and is perfect for bass to spawn ...

Most of the bass she catches are largemouth and there's also pike , perch and walleye to be had in the larget bay beyond. (Weller Bay)

And yes Tyler ....some big carp too !     :Gonefishing: 

5 hours ago, smerchly said:

Most of the bass she catches are largemouth and there's also pike , perch and walleye to be had in the larget bay beyond. (Weller 

Sounds like a great topwater bay.