White Bass?

Port_D_Guy

I haven't caught one in a long time. 

Usually there is a brief window of when they'll show up at the hydro dam.

Mostly June was the best time and when bait fish come into the harbour.

Are the numbers still there in the area?

I heard Dunnville can be good, but only from a boat.

Not White Perch....which it can look like, but are from same family

https://content.osgnetworks.tv/gameandfishing/content/photos/gaf-whitebassontherun-big.jpg

gaf-whitebassontherun-big.jpg

We used to have large runs of silvers at the Niagara R. , Port Dalhousie and during my teen years , we got heavy runs at L.Moody .They are great scappers but not the best tasting fish unless you know how to cook/smoke them . We used a spinner bait called a Shyster at Port Dal. 

From the videos I've been watching they're catching them in that heavy current you would not normally fish.

I noticed in the harbour the alewifes are starting to show.

Probably other types of baitfish in as well.

17 minutes ago, honeyv said:

Bucket list fish for me. If i were to ever catch one, it would probably be a fluke since I don't target them. Beauty fish though. 

As with a lot of fish, its all about timing and the right spot. Like crappie.

Silver bass used to provide hours of constant catching at the Nanticoke Hydro discharge, starting just after ice out.

The smaller males were good to eat after filleting the lateral line away, and only fresh. Even after a couple of days being frozen they were less than tasty.

All you had to do was keep moving around in the discharge. When one spot died, move 100 yds and action picked up. Bonus there was bass, walleye,  even carp and sheephead

The silvers seemd to like coming where the water was fast . Some still come into the harbour at Port Dal. and they will hit spinner baits  ,like Mepps , blue Fox and of course, the old yellow spotted Shysters . During the haydayof catching them at Queenston , they would hit a piece of silver paper from your Winston Light package. Try small spoons too , like a silver Cleo etc.

Floatman ....the sheepheads were probably better eating than the silvers, but uglier ...

Run into large schools of them while trolling on Erie often. Always in large schools,, you can go days without seeing one at times but than 3-4 rods will go off at once when you hit a pack of them. Lots of big ones out on the lake. Never tried to eat them though