Barrie Ontario ?

smerchly

While having my coffee this a.m. I was was shocked to read a story about Barrie . Most of my fishing time in the area is done on the ice in that area and we have stopped to get a bite at McD's or Tims occasionally . They have shut down the dining area and washrooms at McD's because Barrie has a very serious drug problem . And that's just the tip of the iceberg as many small towns have the same problem . They now talk about fining those who give panhandlers money ?  I have no answers , but since I fish solo most of the time , I  am beginning to be more concerned and apprehensive at some of my secluded spots . It seems like this problem is everywhere now. 

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/warmington-desperate-times-in-barrie-call-for-desperate-solutions-on-drug-crisis

I don’t even know where someone would start to try and find a solution this crisis. 
not enough shelters, crazy rent prices, highly addictive drugs, mental health problems it’s sad to see. 
I help the homeless when I can weather it be food, drinks or some money. It’s definitely not an easy life living on the streets. 

What drug problem....they legalized marijuana and out in BC there was talk about legalizing cocaine and other hard drugs. Drugs like marijuana have some medicinal uses but it is a "gateway" drug. Those with an addictive personality will use it and then continue to seek better "HIGHS".

Drug use may be a problem but like alcohol if you think of it as an excuse for crimes against the public ... well that seems wrong. Most often addiction starts out with a conscious decision to use it in the first case. People should be responsible for their actions. Nail the pushers/providers/enablers with the most severe penalties possible.

Make it most unpleasant for them. Get them out of circulation forever. Same thing with illegal gun smugglers. The toll on society is too much.

Now I need to lay down

• 2 weeks later...

If I was outside in my back yard yesterday I would have heard the shots less than .5 km away . A man and woman were shot at St.Paul St. West & the man is dead and she is in crtical condition ...still looking for the shooter ....getting a little too close to home lately .....  Story in Standard .

On 6/11/2023 at 5:37 PM, smerchly said:

If I was outside in my back yard yesterday I would have heard the shots less than .5 km away . A man and woman were shot at St.Paul St. West & the man is dead and she is in crtical condition ...still looking for the shooter ....getting a little too close to home lately .....  Story in Standard .

There will be no suspects, and no witnesses.  We have seen a number of gang related shootings here, but the police will never admit to the problem.

Just now, bigugli said:

There will be no suspects, and no witnesses.  We have seen a number of gang related shootings here, but the police will never admit to the problem.

They got the shooter who lives in Brampton (surprise). He was in trouble previously (surprise) . He won't walk this time I'm sure. 

Bruce, the police with their feet on the ground are really quick to say that there’s a problem, believe me. If anyone, it’s the higher-ups and politicians who will deny all day long. And our (lack of) a Justice system is the biggest issue. Jail sentences in a Shangri La are a joke and FAR from a deterrent. 

5 hours ago, Bubba14 said:

Bruce, the police with their feet on the ground are really quick to say that there’s a problem, believe me. If anyone, it’s the higher-ups and politicians who will deny all day long. And our (lack of) a Justice system is the biggest issue. Jail sentences in a Shangri La are a joke and FAR from a deterrent. 

Street cops are not the problem.  But they have no more say than you or I. 

Want to hear another kick in the teeth for decent folks here???    St Catharines is rated as #8 on overall crime ratio, or #10 on the violent crime rate list for Ontario.  #1 flips between Thunder Bay and Timmins.

As I looked for info on our latest shootings, just around the corner from my house , a list of the latest came up on Y.Tube . We are a 'growing city' and things will only get worse as we live in a drug culture society . I fear for my grandkids .....

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=st.catharines+shooting

3 hours ago, smerchly said:

As I looked for info on our latest shootings, just around the corner from my house , a list of the latest came up on Y.Tube . We are a 'growing city' and things will only get worse as we live in a drug culture society . I fear for my grandkids .....

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=st.catharines+shooting

As do I Bill. And as society continues to normalize behaviour that isn't "normal" or in many cases moral, it will only get worse.

I think we had the Merritville races take place here at St.Paul St.West last night .It sounded like motor cycles & cars racing up and down St.Paul for at least 10 minutes....very loud and my neighbours were all wondering what was going on . I hope the residents there got some good shots of the idiots from their phones or home cams.

One bike finally exited down my street doing about 80 kms......but we see this every day with all the heavy traffic now .  These people have no fear of being caught as we do not have enough resources to nab them,,,, It sure would rake in a lot of money in fines though......We have to be very careful backing out of our driveways ...crazy !

• 3 weeks later...

Jut read some news about a woman who fell asleep at the wheel of a pickup truck . Seems like our ladies are getting in on the lucrative world of selling drugs . I'd like to know where she got the fully automatic glocks with larger magazines . So now they have better guns than our cops ? 

But not to worry , as Person Trudeau will take care of it .......this is unreal !

https://www.cp24.com/news/police-arrest-woman-found-asleep-at-the-wheel-in-markham-with-two-loaded-guns-meth-fentanyl-1.6467908