Struggle

honeyv

Went to the Rec again. This guy had me thinking it was going to be a great day since I caught it early in the day. Turned out to be the first and only pike I would land yesterday. I had a couple follows but they didn't seem to want to commit.

I noticed an obscene amount of biiiiiig carp. These things were complete tanks. They looked like submarines cruising trough the water!!! I couldn't believe how huge and how many huge ones I was seeing. Then there were areas where 20 of them were just hanging out near the surface. Just wild! I also had a couple of sheepshead  follow up to the kayak. Had me thinking I was targeting the wrong things lol... 

One of these days I would actually love to spend some time trying with some crayfish or shrimp for them, or even trying for those carp. 

Side note, put the transducer through the supper again and works like a charm again. 

IMG_20230531_185053_236.jpg

Nice pike.

Catching carp in a yak or canoe can be a blast.

Years back Smerch and I were fishing Jordan and he hooked

into a carp and it gave a good fight and pulled the canoe

around for a while.

4 hours ago, knightfisher said:

Nice pike.

Catching carp in a yak or canoe can be a blast.

Years back Smerch and I were fishing Jordan and he hooked

into a carp and it gave a good fight and pulled the canoe

around for a while.

Thanks, 

That would be awesome. To be honest with you, I don't even think I'd be able to pull one of those carp aboard.

1 hour ago, Port_D_Guy said:

I've only been hooking into bass. Nothing big.

Where ya fishing? The bass can be pesky when fishing for pike sometimes. Let's just say I could have had a couple more pictures to show if they were in season. 

Beauty pike honeyv  , good eatin there !   I'd love to get my carp rod in there , but I don't think they are feeding from the bottom as usual , but maybe they would hit some goodies under a float .  I've caught most of my pike at the rec .on bottom ...25 to 30 fow. , same as the local canals.

7 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Beauty pike honeyv  , good eatin there !   I'd love to get my carp rod in there , but I don't think they are feeding from the bottom as usual , but maybe they would hit some goodies under a float .  I've caught most of my pike at the rec .on bottom ...25 to 30 fow. , same as the local canals.

Thanks! Pike went back to swim another day. Next time I get out I would love to try trolling with some deeper diving baits. They might be moving deeper already. 

I was actually thinking maybe a float setup wpuld work on those carp. Years ago I used to catch them using floats. 

Yes , using the Waggler floats are fun to use for carp & I have used them in shallow water , 3-6' . They can be set to have the bait 1" from bottom to a foot off bottom depending on weed growth ect., and I prefer no current spots to keep from hanging up on weeds and junk .  I want to try E.S.Fox one day for carp ...very deep there but I usually try from 15 to 30 fow , thus the beauty of using 3 'test' rods . It was also a good winter spot for perch and pike.

11 hours ago, honeyv said:

Went to the Rec again. This guy had me thinking it was going to be a great day since I caught it early in the day. Turned out to be the first and only pike I would land yesterday. I had a couple follows but they didn't seem to want to commit.

I noticed an obscene amount of biiiiiig carp. These things were complete tanks. They looked like submarines cruising trough the water!!! I couldn't believe how huge and how many huge ones I was seeing. Then there were areas where 20 of them were just hanging out near the surface. Just wild! I also had a couple of sheepshead  follow up to the kayak. Had me thinking I was targeting the wrong things lol... 

One of these days I would actually love to spend some time trying with some crayfish or shrimp for them, or even trying for those carp. 

Side note, put the transducer through the supper again and works like a charm again. 

IMG_20230531_185053_236.jpg

Nice pike. 

5 hours ago, smerchly said:

I want to try E.S.Fox one day for carp ...

What's that?