This might be my next project

honeyv

Seems way too complicated and expensive.

I’m 76, and I can still slide my 84 Lb yak onto my Jeep’s roof rack from the rear - I just put a piece of carpeting over my rear roof and back window, and slide my yak up onto the roof rack.

Ya, an old blanket or carpet makes it easier to slide the yak or canoe onto the rack from the back or the side  . I have loaded my 90 lb. 16' aluminum freighter canoe from the back of my old 90 full size van with a thick blanket ....but that was many years ago . 

1 hour ago, genec said:

Seems way too complicated and expensive.

I’m 76, and I can still slide my 84 Lb yak onto my Jeep’s roof rack from the rear - I just put a piece of carpeting over my rear roof and back window, and slide my yak up onto the roof rack.

I probably wouldn't do the winch so I'm not too sure about how complicated or expensive it would actually be since I already have the PVC pipe.. This video is just an idea/guide line. This guy went all in with the winch.     

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

Ya definitely not for me. Glad I own a truck. 

A truck bed would be super easy! 

24 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Ya, an old blanket or carpet makes it easier to slide the yak or canoe onto the rack from the back or the side  . I have loaded my 90 lb. 16' aluminum freighter canoe from the back of my old 90 full size van with a thick blanket ....but that was many years ago . 

I'm always looking up ways to make everything easier. Since busting my back, they said I have developed arthritis there. So I personally have to be more careful lifting than the average Joe. I'm already lifting the one side and sliding up. This seemed like it would take most of the load off. 

8 hours ago, honeyv said:

I'm always looking up ways to make everything easier. Since busting my back, they said I have developed arthritis there. So I personally have to be more careful lifting than the average Joe. I'm already lifting the one side and sliding up. This seemed like it would take most of the load off. 

Definitely keep us updated with the project. 

I admit i am finding it harder lately to get the yak on my jeep roof, but i’ve been thinking seriously of buying a yak trailer.

Met a guy at the Ft Erie show in March ( C&R Kayak) that sold yak trailers, and am thinking of buying one from him.

12 hours ago, genec said:

I admit i am finding it harder lately to get the yak on my jeep roof, but i’ve been thinking seriously of buying a yak trailer.

Met a guy at the Ft Erie show in March ( C&R Kayak) that sold yak trailers, and am thinking of buying one from him.

A trailer would be cool. 

I think this idea could work. Even if it's a simplified version. Worst case, it doesn't work and I go back to doing what I do now. Lol